No rating

Center Academy-Pinellas Park

Private | 5-12 | 90 students

We are best known for LD & ADHD programs since 1968.

Living in Pinellas Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $72,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,080.

Posted February 12, 2014

Center Academy has helped my son get back on track with his studies. He attended a large public high school and was lost between the cracks. His grades dropped, attitude changed and a disinterest in school. His first semester at Center Academy brought about the change that even pleased my son. He has made the honor roll, participated in the school sports program and his self confidence is returning. The staff at Center Academy has connected with my son in a way that the public school could not. All of my questions and concerns have been addressed in a timely manor and to my satisfaction. I think this statement by my son summarizes the message I am trying to convey. "Mom, thank you for sending me here. I am doing better with grades and making good friends. I like Center Academy."

Posted January 25, 2014

Center Academy has been such a "game changer" for my son. He was at a private Christian school through 5th grade and transitioned to Center Academy when the workload just overwhelmed him to the point of giving up. He has been at Center Academy for only one semester and we have seen such drastic changes in him. His teachers are fantastic. Although his old school realized his potential and willingness to learn, they just did not know how to help him "process" it all. Center Academy knows how! Whenever issues have arisen, I have found them to be willing to listen and although it is more difficult to access the teachers, they are more than willing to work with the parents when something needs to be "tweeked". My son now walks a little taller and even has a "swagger" in his step. Priceless!!

Posted June 3, 2013

My son's attitude toward school has turned around 180 degrees. What a difference a year makes. No high pressured public school homework assignments. Work is done in school and rewarded! My son is more confident, feels accomplished, and is making friends. Manners and respect are taught here. Small setting allows for individual teaching and learning. I highly recommend CA if your child is not functioning in the public school setting. My son, our family, and our marriage is finally functioning smoother.

Posted June 3, 2013

My son just finished his sophomore year at Center. I can't tell you what a difference a year makes. One year ago, he had mainly D's & F's and hated school. Now his attitude has improved a great deal and our home is filled with peace. My child had attended Catholic school as well as fundamental. While they were both good schools, they just didn't fit my son's learning style. Thank goodness, we found Center!!

Posted January 21, 2013

Given the proper tools to learn, my child is achieving academic accomplishment and just made honor roll for the 2nd consecutive semester in her 1st year at C.A.as a 9th grader. I attribute her success to a proactive staff understanding of my childs challenge with focus, continual dialogue on respect and achievement, coupled with a managable teacher/pupil classroom ratio. Most work is completed at school, which alleviates the burden of parents micromanaging the assignment. When homework is necessary, it appears there is a clear directive and the task is done within a very short time. The School staff communicates well and avails themselves when questions arise. My only reservation in "rating this school" as a 5 star is related to the physical facility; "Small and quite cramped", additionally there is no structure such as an auditorium or outbuilding to house all of the students or Parents/guardians for an event. I am told enrollment is on the increase, therefore, hopeful ownership will address this in the future.

Posted January 15, 2013

What a positive transformation I have seen in my daughter since attending Center Academy! Every day, every homework assignment, every test was a struggle for her to get through. There were many mornings she would spend crying because she didn t want to go to school. Since attending Center Academy this year, she has not complained about going to school, she is not embarrassed to ask questions in class, she is participating in extracurricular activities and has made many new friends. The teachers know what they are doing and they know how to teach her how to learn. They encourage her and ensure that she s on task and that she understands the lesson. I marvel at the patience and understanding given to not only her but to all of the students. The director has filled my family with hope, satisfaction and has provided a safe environment for my daughter. My shy, quirky daughter has found a place to settle and a place where she is comfortable enough to be herself.

Posted June 6, 2012

Center Academy is a gem in Pinellas County! The school continues to thrive and grow with good students, parents, teachers and administration each year. They handle every aspect of a student s education with the most professional care. The staff and teachers take the time to get to know each child and every parent thus growing a huge sense of school pride among the campus.

Posted May 27, 2012

Very coincidental that all these 5 star reviews suddenly show up right after some negatives. I noticed enrollment was way down in their yearbook this year. It made sense to me as I have also found communication awful at this school, and so called leadeership who has an attitude. We clashed due to this and I, along with other parents pulled our children. Not one person from the school showed an interest in why we were leaving, what they could do to keep us and make it a better experience. One mother even had to prove to McKay that she had filed changes correctly as the school tried to mess with her scholarship. Luckily the new school was able to help her prove that she had. Enough said.

Posted May 8, 2012

Our son has attended Center Academy for 3 years. In that time he has made steady and consistent progress academically and socially. The academic environment affords him the opportunity to learn in a way that is driven by his needs and skills. The administration and faculty have recognized what he needs to learn. We have found the school to be receptive to our concerns. The staff is very accessible by either phone, e-mail, or in person. The social environment is developing with opportunities for the students and parents to interact outside the classroom. We feel confdent that our son will continue to develop and improve his academic skills to not only culminate in graduation, but on to continue his education. Students are taught to respect the staff, themselves, and their peers. Based on our experience at Center Academy, we would have no hesitation in recommending it to other parents and students.

Posted May 2, 2012

Center Academy is wonderful. The Director, teachers and staff are awesome and highly accessible to both parents and students. The teachers really get to know your child and care about their emotional and academic needs. They understand different learning styles and work with each child to ensure academic success. The open communication I have experienced with teachers and administrators reguarding the emotional needs of my son has been comforting. The teachers go above and beyond other schools in their willingness to try different strategies for success, it is not a "one size fits all" approach. The new director of the school has enriched the academic and social life by the addition of school fall and spring dances, school prom, student and family cook outs at athletic competetions with other Center Academy school in the area. He along with teachers instill self respect and respect for others with positive reinforcement. My son has been in the school for four years. He has made friends and enjoys going to school.

Posted May 2, 2012

I have been very pleased with Center Academy. My son has attended there for five years. The small classrooms have made it very easy for my child to get individual attention as needed. The teachers are on top of assignments and are quick to let a parent know when things are getting behind. When I have had concerns they were always happy to meet with me for a conference. They have helped build his confidence and self-esteem and helped him to be successful in school and in life. I have also met several times with the principal. He has always been receptive and responsive to concerns about my son's education and well being. He is fairly new and has started some wonderful programs. TAP, student government, prom and the automated phone system just to name a few. These have all been great improvements for the students and for parents. As for parent involvement, this is a small school. They don't need as much help as larger schools. But there are still ways of being involved. They have cook outs, field day, bake sales and a dance that parents help with. Without Center Academy, I believe my son would not graduate from high school. Thank you Center Academy!

Posted May 2, 2012

I am so thankful for finding Center Academy. My son has attended CA for the past two years and will graduate this month. I truly believe that without all their encouragement and support he would not be graduating. The school director was very open and honest when we first met in the summer of 2010. I felt that Center Academy would be just what my son needed. The director has always been available by phone and in person to discuss any issues that have come up. The small classes are a big plus and the teachers and staff have helped make my son's last two years of high school a good experience. All the teachers and support staff realize that every child learns differently and they have helped mine to have two positive years. They have made tutoring available in the afternoons for the kids that need it and the teachers have kept me up to date with my son's progress. My son has enjoyed the intramural sports between the other CA schools and the family cookouts are a great way to meet the other parents. The school director has been a wonderful mentor for my son. My son knows he can always talk to the director because he has an open door policy and is available to the kids. Thank you CA!

Posted April 25, 2012

Difficult to rate the teachers, as some are good, but there are a few who are disappointing. They claim to be special ed, but it seems like any time a kid has difficulty it gets blamed on focus rather than recognizing the underlying deficit might be to blame. They say they do extensive evaluations to tailor a curriculum to your childs deficit, but that never happened to us. Principal is not very approachable at this school, and seems to develop an attitute to parents who are unhappy. Old prinicpal was wonderful, but sadly passed away. Communication is difficult too, leaving very little desire as a parent to get more actively involved. The school might be a fit for the few that struggled with lower grades and nothing more prior to coming there, but don't expect much more beyond that. A lot of what they claim doesn't happen and they promote themselves on a grant that they received more than 20 years ago. There is some bullying that goes on at this school, a lot of name calling for the kids that would stand out more.

Posted March 22, 2012

Very disappointed. Would give it a 0 if I could. Newer principal, and since then, horrible communication. Communication is very one-sided. Feel like my child has been dumbed down. NIMH grant they promote was over 20 years ago. They don't believe name calling is bullying, just kids being kids. Parent group is discouraged, so no group. Difficult to get to know other parents due to how they set things up. Cannot speak for other parents, but called another school and found out that about 10 parents from this school called them. If you have concerns you are encouraged to find another school. Do not have easy access to teachers. Basically what they advertise is not what I've seen. I highly recommend caution before going to this school.

Posted January 2, 2012

My son was failing in the public school system, and after enrolling him in Center Academy, the teachers helped him to plan a path to graduate one year early by going to summer classes and taking Florida online classes. It's a small school so he is held accountable for keeping up with the work, and if he falls behind they quickly notify the parent and keep the kids after school for tutoring until they know the information and are able to pass the tests. He loves the no homework policy, however my only concern is that when he is in college it will be a shock for him to have to devote many hours of homework time in order to pass the classes. I can't speak highly enough of the teachers, they care about the kids and want them to succeed in whatever they choose in life. They understand that every kid learns differently and you can't have just one mold for everyone and expect that all will fit into that mold perfectly as the public school system does.

Posted February 9, 2009

This school just may seem like fun and good learning for your child but it is not. I go there and I have to say the teacher are commonly insensitive towards any disfunctionality related to work. If you ask what you did wrong they'll punish you. The only good part of it is that they let you turn in work until the end of the marking period.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 17, 2008

I love Center It has helped me a whole lot and I am so thankful that I go here! IU love my teachers they help me with every thing they also teach me to never give up thanx!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 3, 2006

Center Academy was a wonderful experience. My son graduated in 2006; something I had almost lost hope for. Student's are taught to work together, to accept people as they are, and to appreciate different learning styles. No homework was a great relief for my family. Learning can be difficult enough for an ADHD child, allowing us family time versus struggling with homework after school was greatly valued.

Posted March 15, 2006

Effective at building self-esteem by enabling child to succeed. Sometimes the expectations are not as high for the student as they should be. Philosophy of not assigning homework or studying outside of class does not support the development of study skills or responsibility.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 4% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 52% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 4% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 16% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 24% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mr. Stephen Kenney
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Student council/government
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units