2,303 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Excellent atmosphere for students to feel inspired to learn and great community enthusiasm. Love it

This school is hardly worth two stars. First and foremost, I will introduce myself. I moved to Valrico from out of state midway through sophomore year. I would describe myself as academically inclined, take initiative as a leader through ROTC and did partcipate in SGA but discontinued that as the goals and missions were not the same as in my home state. Thank God for dual enrollment, which Mrs. Dupre is extremely helpful and offers amazing guidance for, because then I would have been completely robbed of my high school education. Many teachers here lack the passion and ambition to teach. The honors classes are a joke. For example, in English II Honors, we spent three weeks learning transitions! It's an honors class, not a review of the eighth grade! My experiences with both counselors I've had over my high school career have been very non-welcoming and stressful. Last time I checked, or at least compared to my old high school, guidance counselors are supposed to be helpful and listen to the students needs. In all, the only thing good about this school is Mrs. Dupre, ROTC, and the teacher care (Mrs. Griffith, Mr. H, and couple more).

Although I have had a few problems with my guidance counselor with scheduling, overall I love this school. If you are involved with theatre or any arts program, this is your school. The arts teachers are very passionate about what they do. Also I have had great academic teachers with very few exceptions.

I am an alumni of Durant HS. During my time at Durant, I was very involved with sports, clubs and student council. Being involed is one of the most important aspects for students. I battled a family issue my Junior year, and everyone at Durant helped me through. From talks with the principle, families bringing food over and friendly hugs from other students, I can honestly say I got through it because of my Durant family. I will always be proud to say I was a Durant Cougar.

Every school has issues and my kids have enjoyed their time at durant but I agree with the support staff is RUDE and/or never bothers to return calls. Football Coaches won't return calls even though your new to the program and get upset with the kids for asking questions. Guidance, please where do I begin. With the depature of the head of the department I was hoping for a geat new start however now the replacement does not return calls either, do they teach that? I thought Durant would have better structure in place. You wonder why parents don't want to get involved here, they can't no one calls you back and if they do, they have attitude.

Leadership staff is rude and disrespectful to both students and parents and are allowed to ridicule students as well. FL statute 1006.09 (b) line 13 'No student shall be suspended for unexcused tardiness, lateness, absence, or truancy.'

Durant may have some bad things about it, but overall this is by far one of the best schools in the county! I recently moved away and the new school i am attending is eons behind Durant both in technology and curriculum. I have always thought that northern school have left southern school behind when it comes to the talent of students, and until recently, in my mind that was true. After experiencing the move i have gone through it seems like teachers at Durant are more caring and helpful than anywhere else i know of.

i loved this school while i attended

My daughter was invited to go through their GAP program coming into High School as a freshman. She loved it. The exercise made all the difference in making her feel like part of the school. She got very excited just hearing the kids talk about their experiences in Durant. Orientation was just as great. Teachers willing to take a minute and talk to you. Students seemed very respectful and just comfortable in the school. So far so good.

So far i have enjoyed this shool teachers and all

Last modified Durant High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.