Ben Gamla Charter School South Broward

Charter | K-8 | 463 students

Sweep tile

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

I am a parent to a middle school student at Ben Gamla. We have been with the school for three years and have seen a change for the worse - and it gets worse. The new middle/high school assistant principal is already going bye bye. So another year another principal. Look at the low test scores. Great education / preparation for a future employee of McDonalds or shwarma stand. What goes on for an education is truly sad, and unfortunately most of the parents who keep in this Ben Gamla just do not know any better. Ben Gamla perpetuates ignorance.

Posted April 12, 2014

I am a parent to a middle school student at Ben Gamla. We have been with the school for three years and have seen a change for the better. The new middle/high school assistant principal is working to class up the upstairs. The teachers are dedicated to their students and most the middle school team teaches straight through without a planning period. The teachers know their subject areas and are motivated to effect change. It's a shame that some of the parents can not see how dedicated the staff is and to stop interfering.

Posted April 11, 2014

This school has impressed us so far! This is our first year and my son is in 3rd grade with Mrs. Fudali. He loves school and is doing very well! We are elated that the school is K-12. Great school.

Posted March 30, 2014

I went to this school last year in 7th grade... Like in every other school there are those mean/popular girls, but this school you were either mean, popular, not really put in a group, or bullied. Going to and from school on the bus was horrible not to mention i had to wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 to make the bus and a few times I didn't even make it. The highschoolers were especially mean to certain people on the bus. Overall the lower school I cant say anything for, but definitely didn't like the middle school. I heard they got a new principal but that doesn't change the way the kids are.

Posted March 24, 2014

My daughter has been going to this school for 3 years already, we are very happy, especially with her amazing teacher this year, she is one of those special teachers that really care for her students and their academic success , thank you Mrs. Egan ,we love you...

Posted March 21, 2014

Don't let the last review scare you. The office staff, principal and teachers are amazing. The school is very warm and loving to the kids and parents. The reason why the school is rated low is beacons a lot of the kids are from Israel and they don't speak English very well. The principal is working very hard to make this school and A school and she will succeed. She is very dedicated and so is her staff.

Posted March 20, 2014

My child attends 2nd grade, Mrs Egan is a very attentive student and assess the children's ability well. She has gone out of her way to provide extra resources to help with extra work. We appreciate all her extra hard work with the children.

Posted March 19, 2014

As a previous Dade County School employee and parent, I see a vast difference in the school culture and integration of technology outside of the classroom assignments. At Ben Gamla they are not only dedicate to the academic success of the children but the are as equally concerned about the socials skills of a child which is paramount in preparation for tomorrows leaders. Its more of what school use to be about in the late 70's and early 80's encompassing the old African proverb of "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child".

Posted March 19, 2014

My children have been attending Ben Gamla since it first opened it's doors. Mrs Weisberg has turned the school around since she has been there and it has been wonderful. My sons teacher mrs Egan has been very influential this year for him. She is patient, fun and loving towards him and the class. His reading has improved tremendously since he joined her class. She has increased his confidence and helped mold to be more responsible. I receive almost daily contact from her updating me. He loves his teacher and his school. My daughter has had year after year amazing experiences here. She looped this year with her teacher from last Ms Gayle. This teacher has been a role model to my child and has taught her above and beyond. She is very loving and as the kids describe very "cool". Her class is very well behaved and my daughter has benefited from having Ms Gayle two years in a row .

Posted March 19, 2014

My girls have been at this school for two years now and it is PHENOMENAL the change in the school since Mrs Weissberg took over as Principal. She has re introduced important subjects like drama and physical education. Mrs Egan is the best teacher that I have that we have ever had. Even the expensive private school that my girls attended is not have a teacher who came anywhere close to her. She is energetic, fun and inspires her students to always aim higher. And I love that she not only has my telephone number but she actually calls me whenever she feels the need to! These two educators really don't consider it a job, they have a passion to teach and help our children. We don't pay them enough.

Posted March 19, 2014

My daughter has been attending Ben Gamla since Kindergarten and she absolutely loves the environment and teachers and is also learning to speak Hebrew. She is now in 2nd grade and Mrs Egan, albeit new to the schoool, has already won the hearts of the parents as she goes above and beyond for her students. We are grateful for all the extra resources that have become available to help our child excel.

Posted February 18, 2014

Ever since Mrs. Weissberg took over as the principal, this school has been amazing. This is our 4th year here and I was ready to leave because of the old principal. Then I found out Mrs. Weissberg was coming so I had to give it another year!! She is amazing and really knows what she is doing. Did you know Broward County made a Mrs. Weissberg day?? That's how good she is!!! The only reason we are a 'C' school is because a lot of families move to America from Israel and bring their kids to Ben Gamla so they feel more comfortable. This effects the grade!! Also, being a smaller school, you feel better bringing you ADHD kids here because they get the attention they deserve but that too can effect the grade. AND because our grade is for K-8, we have an extra 100 points added to our average when testing. What I mean is most school get the average to decided the grade with 600 (I don't remember the actual number) so we are cut by 700. Basically guaranteeing it being a lower grade! So basically, I love the Elementary and high recommend it!!!

Posted August 30, 2013

My children have been in Ben gamla since it started 5 years ago. The actual principal is phenomenal. She inherited a school with problems which she has been diligently working to get them fixed. The changes could be seen last year but more so this year. The quality of teachers is amazing. There was a turnover of teachers; However, the new teachers are great and experienced. I highly recommend this school. We drive from far to bring our children to this school even though we have great schools around us.

Posted August 26, 2013

My daughter has been there now for three years. I like the school, my daughter does very well there and enjoys it. The school has had some rough times. When we started there it was a different principal, she was not good for the school, very miserable person. I think the new principal, Mrs. Weissburg is doing amazing things for the school. She has been there now two years and I have never had problem meeting to her. Yes, the school has had change in some staff, as some teachers were not teaching. My daughter had one of those teachers last year, and we were very upset. This year already I am in love with her teacher. The communication is very good, and my daughter comes home again with a light in her eyes and a big smile. She loves her new teacher, who was just hired by Mrs. W. My friends and I had coffee this weekend and we talked about our children's new teachers. All of us are happy. My friend with a boy in 3rd grade also has a new teacher, and she too is very happy so far this year. I think the school is doing a great job. I am thankful to have this school in my neighborhood.

Posted August 24, 2013

This is my son's 4th year going to Ben Gamla and I couldn't be happier with the administration and faculty this year. He was placed with a new teacher to the school this year. We were very concerned, especially with FCAT. Mrs. Wolf has been phenomenal with my son. I know it's only the first week of school, but I already see a change in his work ethic and behavior. Mrs. Weissberg did a great job this year, and has a great bunch of teachers working for her. This will be a great year at Ben Gamla.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love the school. My son is so happy there. He is learing Hebrow everyday. The Principal is great- the Teachers are great as well as the staff.

Posted August 14, 2013

My oldest daughter has been at this school since this started and I've seen a very good change this last year. The best of the school is that we are like a big family where almost everyone know each others and the parents are very committed to the school.

Posted August 9, 2013

I am a former teacher at Ben Gamla . I had to resign this year for personal reasons. Mrs. Weissberg is a top notch principal! She is dedicated to surrounding herself with teachers and other staff who genuinely put their whole hearts into their jobs and truly care about the students. She also believes in continuous training and professional development of her teachers so that all students can succeed. The school is very family oriented and has a warm and caring environment with high parent involvement. It is so nice to have parents who are interested and are always looking for ways to help! Ben Gamla has the latest textbooks and technology in the classroom, which are both essential for student learning and engagement. The Hebrew program is excellent as well! It is shaping up to be a great year this year! I highly recommend Ben Gamla!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 1, 2013

The school did great last year. All the way from the administration down have done an amazing job. We have been in this school since it started. The progress is noticeable! Do not quite understand how could someone give a bad review with the excellent year they just had! Great school!

Posted July 29, 2013

We've been at the school for four now, and absolutely love it. The warm sense of family and safety, combined with caring teachers and top notch academics make me very happy to have chosen Ben Gamla.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

37 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

20 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2009-2010.
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Staff resources available to students
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Library

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6511 W Sunrise Blvd