No rating

American Heritage School

Private | PK-12 | 2400 students

Our school is best known for top scholarly rankings and student diversity

Living in Plantation

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted June 6, 2012

American Heritage refuses to release my graduating daughter's academic transcripts, thereby preventing her from applying for admission to university. I have had 5 of my children attend the American Heritage since 2006. Now, in June 2012, after my daughter already graduated, the school has refused to release her transcripts, thereby preventing her from attending university, even though her tuition has been paid in full. Since, a balance remains on the tuition bills of her two younger brothers, American Heritage refuses to release her transcript unless and until the bills of her siblings are paid in full. I offered to pay the remaining balance for the two boys ($5,000) within 2 weeks, but the school business office in Delray Beach refuses to release my daughter's transcript. Instead, the school's business office sent me today a credit card authorization form, for the entire $5,000 balance, for immediate payment. It is hard to believe that this so called college preparatory school is purposefully preventing a graduate from attending college or university

Posted May 29, 2012

Not all shiny objects are gold. Very expensive and don't get your bang for your thousands of bucks.

Posted March 8, 2012

Not sure I believe all the hype after having my son scared and could not take the test. The tester is the Kindergarten teacher and she spend 20 minutes before the test yelling at my two boys for wanting to play with the toys in the class room and even snapped at my 5 year old. My 3 year old was accepted because he passed and was tested by another teacher-thankfully. My 5 year was not so lucky and was forced to remain in the room to be tested my this grouchy person.

Posted August 10, 2011

My son attended the Academy for 8 years (1st-8th). We thought it would be a good idea to have him tutored over the summer to get him ready for High School, as we were moving. He received A' & B's through out the years, was on the honor roll and received a 8th Grade Math award. All good for his self-esteem, and lead us to believe he was doing well. After having him tested we discovered that Math skills tested and placed him at a second grade level, His reading and writing skills and English were at a 3rd or 4th grade level. Now that we are leaving the state we now are confronted with holding him back a year and finding a school that will accept his with these low level scores.

Posted July 22, 2011

My son was at Academy for 3 years. He then was streamlined into mainstream classes. American Academy gave his substantial support. As a mom, I could tell by his attitude and his daily work. The other proof I received was his first standardized test for a mainstream class. It turned out that his SAT scores were mostly above grade level. I attribute much of that success to the excellent teachers and curriculum at American Academy.

Posted May 25, 2011

My son has been a student for over six years at the school. I couldn't be happier. The teachers, staff, and other families are all very helpful.

Posted May 19, 2011

My son has gone to this school and I would not , NOT recomend it to anyone. None of my son's teacher had an ESE degree. The teacher assistant did not have training for special need children with learn problems. The class rooms are small, I found the school dirty The curriculum does not conform to each student. My son fell behind. It is expensive and parents are given false promises. NO do not recommend,

Posted March 7, 2011

Both of my sons were fortunate enough to graduate from American Academy. The Academy has a fantastic curriculum and understanding teachers, My children were so fortunate to get this great start in life.

Posted March 7, 2011

I I am a proud member of the American Heritage Academy family. American Academy is a safe place to learn with outstanding teachers who go above and beyond for each student. The teachers have the special educational credentials, experience, and passion to educate, motivate, and inspire each student. The technology integration provides new learning experiences and exceeds 21st century learning standards. The facility is stellar. I highly recommend this school for a student that needs academic accommodations and small class size to learn.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 7, 2011

Wonderful experience at American Academy. As a family member of this wonderful school, I can only say wonderful things about the teachers. They are excellent, understanding, compassionate and very motivating, something that many schools do not have these days. They go above and beyond and are constantly in touch with the parents as well as have an extensive educational background. The administrators and counselor's, as well as the staff in the office, are on track with the academic performance of my child. I cannot say enough wonderful things about American Academy. At American Academy the opportunities are endless, from a challenging curriculum, Fine Arts, Athletic department, Science/Pre-Med program, Law, Architecture everything is outstanding. We are very happy with American Academy.

Posted March 7, 2011

My son is thriving in the small classroom setting. The use of technology is outstanding. The teachers are excellent!

Posted June 14, 2010

I find the school unorganized, disappointed by the teachers, I feel they set my child back instead of going forward

Posted June 12, 2010

I am a proud parent of a recent American Heritage graduate. My daughter entered this school her freshman year of high school; and during these past four years I had the pleasure of seeing her develop into a strong, witty, and compassionate young lady. American Heritage provides an environment that not only nurtures, but instills a strong sense of academia in our children. I highly recommend this school to every parent who wants to see their child/children be happy and successful in their own right.

Posted May 1, 2010

I am a proud parent of American Heritage School graduates. Both our son s are now in College. I have has no complaint and would recommend Heritage to anyone, loved the six years my kids spent at American Heritage. So if you are seeking an outstanding school with a serious academic program you will find it there at (AHS).

Posted February 13, 2009

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL! This is my first year at American heritage and I have never been happier. The academics are exceptional, the faculty have excellent teaching skills, and the extra curriculars are phenomonal. I adore the school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 19, 2008

I am a parent of three children. One Academy and two Heritage. Remember: no school is completely perfect however, this is a unique program that truly offers anything and everything to help prepare our children for the next step in life. Two of my kids have gone on to college from Heritage and the Academy and were so prepared I never worried about their freshman college year. In fact, the standard answer from them and their school friends has been 'first year in college has been a review of high school' and 'it's so easy in college'. I have one more to go and I know he'll be ready too. Keep in mind that this is an academically challenging program but you get tons of feedback and there are many ways of getting extra help if needed. Stong academics, fine arts and athletics! It's been a great fit for us!

Posted July 30, 2008

My son started last year as a High school Freshman and loved this school! We come from the local public school system and wanted a high level education,with challenging honors and AP classes, and AHS has them as well as excellent, involved teachers that push the students and keep them learning. The sports and band programs are also very fulfilling as are the theater productions and varied extra curricular activities. My son also mentioned that the students were 'nice' and respectful towards each other, so he had a great year there and is happy to go back for his sophomore year! This school has great academic scores and an impressive array of admissions to top-notch universities for their graduating classes...they must be doing something right!

Posted May 22, 2008

My child has been a student at AHS for 3 yrs. She is about to enter her 3rd grade and I have nothing but praise for the teachers, the administrative staff and front office staff. I do agree that the school is very expensive, but I will make all the sacrifices necessary to make sure my child makes it to 12th grade at Heritage. My child is of African Caribbean/ American heritage, but our experiences have been color blind.

Posted May 21, 2008

I started at AHS as a junior mid-year. The students could not have been any nicer or more helpful and my teachers (for the most part) were the greatest. It was difficult to leave all my friends at my old school, but I feel completely at home at Heritage. Additionally, one aspect of Heritage I noticed particularly is that no matter whether a student was going to BCC or Harvard, everyone congratulated each other and seemed sincerely happy for one another. College is highly emphasized at this school, but not necessarily as getting into the best rated school in the country, but instead as getting into the best school for each individual student. The only regret I have is not starting at Heritage earlier.

Posted May 20, 2008

Our son has attended AHS elementary for two years and has done extremely well academically and socially. The teachers are amazing, nice, and helpful, and the parents are active, warm, and inclusive. Once you get into the life of the school, it's like a big family. There are a lot of extracurricular 'enrichment' activities, but we have found that at the elementary level, few are worth the money but some are great (particularly sports). Yes, it's expensive, but as a for-profit school the administration does not 'hit up' the parents for contributions as in not-for-profit private schools. Students transferring in from Florida public schools will find that the students are working well above grade level. I'd give AHS 5 stars, but have to take a star off because the school probably would not rank as 'best of the best' nationally, but it is certainly in the top handful of schools in

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Harvard College
Yale University
Princeton Unicersity
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • #1 high school in Florida-97 nationally recognized scholars (2014)
  • #1 private school in national math competition (2014)
  • #1 Robotics team at national SECME competition (2014)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • South Florida Cappies (2014)
  • Alliance for Young Artists and Writers (2014)
  • Congressional Art Competition (2014)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 7:30 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • William R. Laurie
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Special education
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
  • Swimming pool
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Flag girls
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Literary magazine

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Harvard College