489 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted February 17, 2016
Dr. Kaye. She is the principal of the school. I have seen her work tirelessly from sun up to sundown at the school. She makes sure she is available for any parent that needs her, she is there for any student that needs her and she runs a tight ship to make sure our kids have a safe learning environment and follow strict standards to have a strong moral character . She has started a new way of teaching using Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences . It took a lot of work for her to set up the first school in florida to use this new system of teaching but she did it so she could reach every child and find a way to make all her children do well in school. She is a strong female role model for our children and holds herself and teaches our children the highest of moral and academic standards. On a more personal level she has put up with me for many years and many annoying emails and she has never lost her patients with me or any other parent that I know of but has always been there when we need her. She is the reason my son has done so well in school because she is the heart and soul of Somerset pines academy.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 17, 2016
I have had several children in several schools and my older kids already graduated college. Somerset pines has by far the best teachers I have dealt with out of any public school

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 17, 2016
Homework is hard for us but we have a son with special needs so I can not answer this correctly. I am glad he is able to work on things at home and feel it is part of my responsibility as a parent to do homework with him..I don't want to leave it just up to the school to teach my child..it is a joint effort. But I hate homework because I don't understand new math and all these new ways of testing Florida insists on,lol.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 17, 2016
ITs a good school. It has a tough academic program and teaches kids to try their hardest and they show kids through the The 8 intelligences system that if they can not learn things one way there is another way so be determined. The new marketplace system even teaches them to hold jobs, pay fines, shop and real life lessons when they spend all their money or get fined and lose money and if they are persistent and save money from working they go on special field trips with their money so the kids work hard

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 17, 2016
Yes..If not they will have a ticket and will have to go to court and pay a fine,lol. They even have a class on respect that they have the parents come teach in school to the children. Respect is a part of every day student life in Somerset and disrespect is not allowed. I have doors opened for me, polite children help me when needed the kids do it because they have been taught respect and they in turn also respect and watch after other students also.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 17, 2016
The teachers and staff do not just teach. They love the children and it is reflected in how they treat and care for the children. The school also has parents come in and teach a class on respect. Being caring and compassionate is one of the many bulldog characteristics they not only teach..they themselves live by. I have spent many a hour volunteering so I know what goes on behind closed doors..they truly care about the kids and teach them to care for others

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 17, 2016
This school uses a new way of learning with a market place environment. Kids have jobs, pay taxes go to court and pay tickets when they have not acted proper. Character is just as important to Dr. Kaye and the administration as academics. I have never been around such polite children in a public school as there are in Somereset Pines school. A reflection of good character traits being taught and enforced by the teachers and school

Somerset Pines Academy 5

Posted February 17, 2016
A great school. I have raised several children in broward school system and none of the schools can compare to Somerset Pines. The teachers truly care about the children, The principal is a very hard working dedicated woman that runs that school so well. Behavior is just as important as academics so volunteering in this school is such a pleasure as the students are polite and respectful, something that is hard to find in many other schools these days. They use a very new and exciting way of teaching with a market place set up where kids have jobs, and pay taxes and even go to court and pay fines if they behave poorly. Using a system following Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences they teach using 8 primary intelligences they can reach children and teach in different ways to promote each childs cognitive strengths and learning capabilities..its an amazing concept that they have made work and accelerate the learning for our children in our school No where else in Florida is it taught so Somerset is breaking new ground on this great teaching method . My son is Autistic and I had always heard charter schools do not offer a good learning experience for ESE kids...just the opposite here. They have made my son feel like he is with family and made him feel safe and loved while teaching him to be a good student and to have respectful confident character strengths. I feel blessed we have had him in this school so many years and now he is prepared to move to the new Somerset middle school.

Somerset Pines Academy 5

Posted October 11, 2013
I am so happy here at Somerset. The teachers really care and the principal, Dr Kaye is outstanding. There is zero tolerance for bullies and the students MUST abide by this policy as well as a strict code of conduct, or else they receive a referral. Three referrals and you are not invited back to the school. That's a very good thing! This is a Broward county public school, but its also a charter school which means any one can addend, but there is a lottery. and they require parent involvement, which I think is great. It is a small school and goes to grade 8, and a high school is in the future. Best school around by far.

Somerset Pines Academy 4

Posted September 24, 2013
I just love the school! Parent involvement is a must and you have so many resources at your finger tips.

901 Northeast 33rd Street, Pompano Beach, FL  33064
Last modified Somerset Pines Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.