Cresthaven Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 595 students

We have been a "Koala-ty" School since 1958. "A" for nine consecutive years.

Sweep tile

Posted January 28, 2014

Cresthaven is incredibly attentive to each student and I am always impressed by how well the teachers and staff know the children. The teachers are very experienced and they have the knowledge, tools and caring necessary to support children with learning and attention issues. My child generally doesn't sit still but she does for Mrs.Grow! I recommend Cresthaven highly.

Posted October 28, 2013

I love Cresthaven Elementary! My daughter had trouble adjusting to kindergarten and her teacher and the administrators have really worked with her and with us to be sure that she stays on track, gets the guidance she needs and learns. With all her trouble she still loves school and her teacher and I feel that the administration truly cares about her well being. I see how this school has been an "A" school for 10 years. That doesn't happen by chance, especially as a Title I school. It takes love and dedication and I would recommend Cresthaven to anyone hands down.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love cresthaven elementary school open house day was soooo great..my son in kindergarten already like his teacher..hope a very good year for our kids.....

Posted May 22, 2013

I am a teacher at this school and let me tell you how much I love it! I came from one of the lowest schools in the county last year, a Charter School, and it is clearly evident how this school stays an "A" school and at the top of Broward County year after year. There are some amazing teachers here and the administration runs a tight ship so no one falls through the cracks. It goes beyond that though; the office staff is unbelievably great and goes above and beyond. My classroom janitor puts my students' plants in my room as a courtesy every day. I love working here. Last year I came home upset a lot because I felt guilty about what my school was not doing for the students. This year I come home with the satisfaction of seeing my children progress because I have all the support in the world here by every single member of this fantastic cohesive school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 15, 2013

#A school, great teachers and staff.... Cresthaven Elementary is my family school, we love it here! it's out of boundary, but I appeal every new student entry (this is our school). I have six kids and all of them have attended this school, We would not have it any other way. Creathaven is Great!!!!!

Posted May 14, 2013

As a teacher at Cresthaven, I can tell you first hand that our administration, faculty, staff, and students are top notch. Cresthaven has been an "A" rated school for 9 consecutive years, an achievement we are all very proud of. For the 2011-2012 school year Cresthaven scored in the 95th percentile for student achievement in Broward County. The teachers all work together cohesively to ensure a seamless education. It has been my pleasure working with the parents, students, teachers, and staff at Cresthaven. I plan on staying at this "hidden gem" of Pompano Beach as long as they will have me. You will not be disappointed should you choose Cresthaven for your child's educational future.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 5, 2011

Cresthaven is a great school.. I now have two kids attending, my son had Mr. Clark when he entered kindergarden and he was a wonderful teacher. Ms. Epstein as well. So feel so lucky to that my daughter now has them both this year! The office staff also do a great job!!!!

Posted July 22, 2011

I have a daughter that will be going into 5th grade this year & a daughter that starts kindergarten this year at Cresthaven. I think that this is a wonderful school....I have had my issues with some people there but you tend to get over it. My kids love this school and love going to school. I am sad to see who is not there (teachers/staff) anymore but I love to meet the new people coming in. This is a really good school to have your kids going to. I can't wait to see what the kids will be doing in their classes this year. :)

Posted August 19, 2010

My daughter attended this school for Kindergarten and had Mr. Clark. I was so pleased with his involvement, he is a wonderful teacher! The PTA is great and all the staff that I had the pleasure to meet were wonderful as well. We moved out of the Cresthaven boundaries, so she will not be attending this year, but wanted to recommend this to anyone looking into this Elementary school.

Posted July 19, 2010

i was a 5th grader at cresthaven elem. this school is so bad i dont recommend sending your kids here the princible is bad. the kids get into fights its such a bad school i couldent wait to get out of there.

Posted March 3, 2010

Overall i am pleased with academics, My 2 boys always want to go to school. Its a good school for the neighborhood.

Posted February 14, 2010

My daughter came to Cresthaven from Georgia. In Georgia I did not feel like they were not challenging her. My daughter was well ahead the other children in her class because she came into kindergarten knowing how to read. I thought that when I moved to Florida she would be challenged but she wasn't, she is able to finish her homework in a second because she had learned the material in preschool already (ex. letter, numbers, colors, etc.). I totally understand that that is regular kindergarten curriculum but I think that they should have given her a modified curriculum so that she could continue to progress. Months after me requesting that she be tested to see if she is gifted they finally gave her the test and she is gifted. But she is still not being challenged. So she is changing schools.

Posted October 21, 2009

Cresthaven Elementary has the best PTA!!!

Posted October 21, 2009

Cresthaven has been an A+ school for the past 6 years. The teachers and staff are exceptional and their only focus is the students well being.

Posted February 1, 2009

Great School! I've transfered my twins in February 2007 from Eagles Nest Charter and that was the best move toward my kids education so far. The previous school did not teach them basic skills and asst. principal was rude. In Cresthaven Elementary teachers immediately recognized the problems my kids had, addressed them appropriately and one and half year later my twins are thriving and are above average. Overall the school scores very well on FCATs, five consecutive years it received A. Staff is caring and safety is well provided. I highly recommend Crestaven Elementary to all parents. Thank you.

Posted May 25, 2008

The school is a very clean school. The staff seems to care about what happens to the student. My son now loves going to this school, having transferred from Georgia. He loves Science with Mr. Hall, who has even given his cell phone number to me if anything is needed after school hours. The administration is fine also. Great School overall.

Posted April 29, 2008

My child has been going to Cresthaven since kindergarden and is now in first grade. She is doing very well in school and likes it there. I asked to hve her put into a certain teacher's class for second grade and the principal will not take my request. He says ' we don't take requests, it goes by thier reading level.' I think that if a parent requests a teacher before the end of the school year that the child should get that teacher before any other child from the outside gets in. I like cresthaven but I just don't like how most of the staff works there.

Posted June 1, 2007

My son came from another school and went into Mrs. Moore's class. He came in scoring very low on his SAT's the year before. When he took the FCAT, he scored a level 4 in reading and math! Now he loves school! Mrs. Moore really cares about her students. Someone else said that teacher feedback was lacking. I disagree. I had the teacher's cell number. I was really impressed with Cresthaven. It seems like Cresthaven is a wonderful school. My son even got to do some really interesting projects and learned some neat things. The school really places an importance on safety. I definitly would tell someone to go here.

Posted February 20, 2007

Each child deserves an equal education as well as equal opportunities and feedback/teacher involvement. That is sorely lacking here.

Posted June 27, 2006

The teachers here are extremely caring and want the best for their students. I would like to see more parent involvement. I know the state puts a whole lot of pressure on the teachers through the FCAT and I wish there was no such thing! I am very happy and pleased with the care and teachings my children have gotten from this school and feel they are very lucky to have teachers that really care about their students learning and their overall well being! Thank you Cresthaven - continue to keep up the great work!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian N/A 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Creole
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • A School rating (2012)
  • 95th%ile student achievement (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Golden School Award (2012)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 1:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:50 p.m.
  • Mr. Joshua Kisten
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (754) 322-6040

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Project-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Creole
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Television/Radio News

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom