1,162 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

My son attended grades 6-8 and just finished. He has special needs but attended regular classes. We were very apprehensive about middle school since there are so many horror stories about bullying. However, my son had a wonderful experience there and had no problems with bullying. The other kids are generally very supportive and accepting of him, which is the exact opposite of what your hear about middle schoolers. At the eighth grade celebration night my wife and I were very touched when he got some of the loudest applause of any of the kids. There are some teachers who are difficult to deal with and are unresponsive to emails, etc.. However there are many others who really go out of their way to help your child get the best education possible. My wife and I and our son have many nice memories of Silver Sands.

This school is in need of a new leader. My child was attacked in gym locker room because the teacher was on the computer instead of supervising the students. Then he was searched by the police. My child has a disability and the principal implied I was lying. They do not follow threw with any promises. In fact the principal humiliated my child and screamed for him to SHUT UP because he wanted to call his mother! They also refused my child a phone call to me. After this happened. Totally disgusting! Silver Sands needs a make over! I wish we could vote for a principal. Mrs Roland would be voted out she's been ruining the lives of children for many years!!!

My school is very dedicated to providing an excellent education for all students. We have a special needs child who has been accepted for who he is and is treated with dignity and respect. The goal at Silver Sands is to ensure every student receives a quality education to better prepare them for what lies ahead. Thank you, Silver Sands' teachers and administrators

I now go to silver sands middle school. We have 5 days of school left and I am very sad its ending! I will be in 7th grade this next year. I totally loved the 1st year here. At first it was a little scary but then I got used to it because all the staff helps you through it. I would recommend this school to every student! This school has been a, "A" School for years!!!!! Totally a amazing school!

Reviews should be allowed that reflect concerns and not screened out because they do not meet your definitiion of a great school. I suggest that Bullying be a major focus on this campus with enhance school oversight.

I love this School. I'm an 8th grader now, but switched school this year. I miss it dearly, the teachers were so supportive and very nice.

It is not a bad school, just needs some fun activities

Great school. Great teachers. Only bad thing is they need a renovation. Old lockers. But, very great.

I remember going to to Silver Sands for the first day of sixth grade and i was terrified but the teachers there are awesome. Now since i'm in high school i really miss and still have friends that are at silver sands and are coming to high school next year and it is one of the best schools ever i made some really good friends there and some i will have forever. The teachers are magnificent they are the best of the best i really appreciate everything they are doing and hope it is still the best middle school around for years to come (which it will always be)

With only 16 days left of school (07/08) we moved from Hendersonville, NC to Port Orange. We have a handicapped daughter and were scared to death of how our experience to a new school would be especially so late in the school year when teachers, administrators and staff were ready for summer. I was sick to my stomach as any mom would be. From day one of entering the office of Silver Sands Middle School we were met with the most loving and caring staff ever. There were a few glitches as where to put our daughter, B.R. but those got worked out and we felt sooo welcome. You hear horror stories about moving and relocating, but I hope anyone who has to move is welcomed like we were with love and kindness from all at SSMS.

Last modified Silver Sands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.