Renaissance Charter School Of St. Lucie

Charter | PK-8 | 1278 students

Putting students first.

Posted April 19, 2013

This is my daughter's 2nd year at this school and my son's 1st. So far every teacher they have had including Specials teachers have been amazing. They are hardworking and do everything they can when there are issues. I have to say, that even though the teachers have been amazing, the administration staff has not. The front office staff is rude, disrespectful and down right nasty. Every time I have to call for something, the attitude on the other end of the line is completely uncalled for. "They" have even gone as far as to yell at me in front of other parents about a document I was requesting. If the school had new admin staff and better discipline actions in place I think it would be great as a whole. Parent involvement is urged, but there is also the option to "buy" out of your volunteer hours by donating $10 for every hour to the school (and I'm not just talking about donating items to the classroom). That kind of defeats the purpose. Purchasing items for class is great and should be done, but the parents should have to do hours at the school also.

Posted April 19, 2013

I left one charter school to come to this one....I have not been given a reason to second guess that choice once! I have been lucky with the teachers so far and my child is growing and doing better all the time. He got two 5's on FCAT. I have met one of the most dedicated and student involved teachers of my life and am grateful my son had her as a teacher! I only give out fours because there is always room for improvement.

Posted March 12, 2013

This school isn't all it's cracked up to be. The teachers and staff are dedicated and hard-working, but the administration is suspect. Be careful when considering this school from someone on the inside who has seen more than meets the eye. Oh, and a workable discipline plan has not been in place here in a good long while.

Posted February 18, 2013

I enjoy working at this school. I feel as if I am truly capable of reaching students and making an impact. You have to be dedicated and hardworking to work here. If you want the easy way out you will not last at RCSSL. If you want a teacher that listens to you and your child concerns makes a plan and implement it according to your child's needs and data come to us!

Posted February 13, 2013

I love teaching at this school! The work we do here is completely different than any other school I've taught at. We drive our instruction based on the needs of our individual class, instead of mindlessly following some state-issued pacing guide. The teachers have flexibility to determine what their students need and the data we collect from test scores is meaningful and accurate. I LOVE the parent involvement too! Only hardworking, dedicated teachers last here.

Posted January 10, 2013

This school lacks any type of consequences or discipline for bad behavior. Sure students get written referrals for bad behavior, but nothing is done about it. They get a slap on the wrist and a piece of candy. This ruins the entire atmosphere of the classroom. It is not fair to the teachers or the other students.

Posted November 19, 2012

and last year, also! You hit the nail right square on the head. That "corporate" feeling has been prevalent ever since the current administration took the helm. I challenge you to look around and notice just how many teachers are relatively new in the profession, versus those who have done this for a while. The former is dominant here, and that should speak volumes to the staying power this school possesses. When you have a strong and supportive administration, everyone around them becomes better and the kids benefit. When you don't, as this school doesn't, then the kids suffer, sadly! These kids deserve much better! Also, these kids know what is happening. I hear them! It is unsettling for them.

Posted November 16, 2012

Teacher's seem to be leaving in droves this year. I'm starting to get that corporate feeling that they are more about the bottom line then about educating the kids. They had better start treating their teacher's better, or their reputation will be further tarnished.

Posted June 21, 2012

This school is a good school it just need teachers and staff that cares about our kids future. My daughter started in 2011 I was very anxious for her to start but of recently I was not happy with the lack of homework giving by the teacher. I don't believe the teachers challenge these kids enough and love what they do. We need teacher who are there because they love what they do not just the paycheck.

Posted June 7, 2012

My son has been here just K and 1st but so far he have had wonderful teachers. Very happy with the new principal as well.

Posted May 16, 2012

I think this school is wonderful, especially after the new administration this year. Everyone I have encountered is truly attempting to making every student the very best they can be. Their efforts are ONLY undone by parents who think public education is responsible for raising their kids and teaching them manners, or parents who don't realize teachers can only do their best when openly supported by parents instead of the vicious cycle of either complete lack of support/contact or the hovering "helicopter" parent that's convinced their kid is so special they're exempt from the rules. Support your kid. Support your kids' school. Follow the rules. Make your kid follow the rules. Respect those in charge. Make your kid respect those in charge. Stop making excuses. Stop letting your kid make excuses. READ TO YOUR CHILD!!! Stop being surprised they CAN'T read. And you'll see RCSSL is A FABULOUS PLACE!!!! They have amazing staff, teachers and administration who genuinely care about the well being of every child. And if someone doesn't, well they don't last long...teacher, kid, or parent! I love this school!

Posted May 16, 2012

People have to understand that charter schools do not get as much funding as public schools. We are creative when it comes to fundraising and offer a variety of educational opportunities for our students. RCSSL is more than just a school, it is a community of families. We teach character education, we provide an after school enrichment program is that is unique, and we always put students first. We are an "A" school and provide our students with every opportunity and tool they need to be successful academically. Teachers are dedicated, hard-working, and truly care about our students. Administrators are available to meet with teachers and parents, give our students fair disciplinary consequences when necessary, and are visible throughout the day outside during arrival, dismissal, in the cafeteria while our students eat lunch, and in the classrooms. Staff members are flexible and walk that extra mile when the need arises. Parents are so supportive with their time and donations. Students are well-behaved, respectful, and eager to learn. Charter schools are not for everyone but I would never go back to teaching in public again. www.charterschoolsusa.com for more info.

Posted April 10, 2012

The school is great...parents has to realize that you only get out what you put in. Teachers are not magician and parents have to do their part, monitors grades, check homework s, give extra work etc. I love the school network so you are able sent emails to the teachers and check the kids progress, set goals for them etc. Lots ok options for afterschool activities

Posted April 8, 2012

Kids kissing in stair ways, bus, older kds swipping milk of smaller kids teacher 3rd grade yells at kids and says "Shut your face"! NO CONTROL!!!

Posted March 20, 2012

I think ths school is amazing! There have been some "growing pains" for sure and yes...the teacher turnover is high but the reason for that is because charter school teachers do much more work for much less pay. So those who want to criticize should consider that. Not all teachers are cut out for that kind of job. These are the ones who do not last here. The ones that are left are those who teach because they truly love it and it is not just about a paycheck. Teachers here are not just teaching to test. They are teaching children to become intelligent, responsible good citizens - to be more thsn just their score on the FCAT. My children have amazing teachers who push them when they need it while still nurturing and caring for them. For those who are leaving negative comments about this school perhaps if you were more involved or took the time to communicate with the teacher your child would have had better success here.

Posted February 23, 2012

I agree with the bad ratings for this school. I taught here and was never happier than when I left! The administration was horrible. I would never teach in a charter school again after this experience. The turn over in staff was unbelieveable and I've never seen people walk out in the middle of the school year before, but it happened more than once here. Do yourself and your child a favor and go to a different school.

Posted September 12, 2011

I had my two kids in public school and it was ok, but when I heard about Renaissance and I found their website I was totally excited! My husband wasn't so sure. And I should of went with his gut feeling. My My daughter was in Kindergarten . She was always getting E's on her report cards & prograss reports but she didn't learn anything!! She couldn't read nor write. I called & emailed my concerns to the teachers, & they said she was doing awesome, that I had nothing to worry about. Well, I pulled both of my kids out as fast as I could, Now shes at a new school & the teacher picked right up on her issues! Now we have to work extra hard and get her caught up with the rest of her class. If my husband & I were told she had a problem when we asked, we could of of addressed them early on. Never again!!!!!

Posted August 17, 2011

As a new resident who moved here mid-term last year, my daughter really enjoyed the school and her classes were very challenging for her. As to parents who say that the school stresses TOO MUCH discipline I would disagree. I do not understand parents who complain that at school their children are supposed to act correctly and show everyone respect. I guess some parents would rather have a free for all at school and not expect their kids to behave in a proper manner. As to curriculm- it seems to be on par with the rest of the county which really does say much since the florida curriculm is years behind the rest of the country

Posted August 11, 2011

When you register, you get no letters, phone calls, or acknowledgement...don't waste your time. Hard to believe administration works like this. At least acknowledge in some way!

Posted July 2, 2011

The School is OK, there are some good and some bad teachers. I noticed they like to hire young inexperienced teachers so they can pay less than the regular district schools. Thank goodness the principal left, he was never available and was not very popular with the staff. Rumor has it he fired the assistant principal, who was the one running the show because he connected with everyone at the school. Let' hope the new principal does a better job.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

161 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

161 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

162 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

151 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

120 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

119 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

143 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

135 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

n/a
Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • This school did not receive a grade in 2008-2009.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MS. RACHEL WINDLER-FREITAG
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (772) 344-5985

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Marzano
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school