Windmill Point Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 863 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 13, 2014

I am very unhappy with this school. They are not parent friendly at all. This school is not teaching spelling or punctuation which is a huge concern for me. My child's teacher confirmed the non teaching of spelling, and I have pictures and planner proof. I have tried to speak with the principal for two years on this topic and can't get a meeting with her. I was able to speak with the Asst. Principal, she was able to verify they do not do spelling or punctuation and claim they are following Florida school statutes. There are other issues at this school but my biggest concern is poor education.

Posted June 6, 2013

I love this school the teachers are very caring .Lots of after school activities that involved the parents.My son was having trouble and he has improved 100%.The front office staff is very polite and very friendly and they know most of the students first name basis.I really recommend this school.I cant say much about the Principal but she not very friendly since she been in office since last year.

Posted June 6, 2012

My child has been attending Windmill Point since first grade. After a rough start our first year there (luckily we had school support) each year has gotten better and better! Tomorrow I get to watch my child "move up" to middle school. And I now wish it was a K-8 vice a K-5. This is a school with heart! You see it from the front office into the classroom. I know they don't allow you to volunteer in your child's classroom, but that's a district rule. There is plenty of opportunity to get involved. Windmill Point has helped mold my child and we're both going to miss it. So take advantage of the events, volunteer if you want, help the school & help your child and I,m sure he/she will have a great experience too!

Posted June 5, 2012

Do not enter your child in this school. If you want the best and a fair education for your child. I had a recent conference with the principle and the teachers. They truely waste your time. They've already decided what was best for my children, which was to RETAIN them both even when i mention tutoring the Principle said that that will not help and that she was the principle and she is not changing her mind on the matter. She was very "RUDE" and then had the nerve to ask me if i was staying for the kids carnival. Is she crazy!!!! THAT SCHOOL NEEDS TO BRING BACK MRS.FLOYD SO OUR KIDS CAN GET FAIR TEACHINGS AND THE STAFF WILL BE MUCH HAPPIER I"VE HEARD PERSONALLY FROM THE STAFF AT WINDMILL POINT. MY KIDS WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT PLACE I WOULD HOME SCHOOL THEM FIRST AT LEAST I KNOW THEY ARE RECEIVING THE BEST OF THE BEST IN EDUCATION. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Posted October 9, 2011

My son started Kindergarten there and from the day #4 his teacher sent us only negative feedback, every week. My son can read and write and finishes his weekly homework the very same day. Still the teacher couldn't see anything good about him, just complaining how my son is inattentive and sulky when spoken to. He switched to another school and what a change! Now he is so happy and excited to go to school every day, he gets "stars" for the excellent behavior. I can't help wondering what's going on in Windmill, they don't allow parents in the classroom, there's no recess, the teacher never called or gave any contact information or daily plans, all the information had to be digged out.

Posted June 13, 2011

My little boy has been going to this school since Kindergarden, next year he will be going into 4th grade. He has learn so much and everyone has always been very helpful. All the teachers he ever had have been great. My little girl will be starting kindergarden this year and I am looking forward to a great school year for them both. In my opinion this is a great school, they care about their students. I believe that parent involvement is helpful, and the school encourages all parents to volunteer in different tasks.

Posted May 23, 2011

My second grader has the worse teacher ever. This coming Friday will be the awards. I just hope I get one as a parent because all the things I had to put up with this teacher. Staff are very rude. I can't wait to this school year ends to change my son to another school.

Posted February 10, 2011

My daughter and son have been here in this school for 2 years.I was pretty satisfied. But in this year my son's teacher doesn't giving any paragraph home work.I don't even know what kind of writing they are doing in class.I am so upset about this teacher.Her class is earning very limited academic achievement award.This means she is not a good teacher at all.

Posted September 21, 2010

very well organized school, teachers and staff are very nice and show a wanting to teach your children.....

Posted January 13, 2010

My child has been at windmill point for two yrs. The first year we were very happy to see the results. This year our daughter is just not happy about going to school. She has a good teacher.I just don't think that her style of teaching go's well with my child. We tryed to set up a meeting with the principal two times and both times they never called us back. At this point I think that we will simply try to look for an advocate to help us out.

Posted June 9, 2009

My son finds windmill point to be 'cool' he likes going to school everyday and really has learned and grown a great deal, i would like to give a special thanks to Mr. Matthew Davin for being part of this process, he is able to combine fun and learning into a great adventure for the kids..he is a great asset to the windmill point school, and we are very lucky to have him.

Posted March 26, 2009

I have 2 children at Windmill Point. My oldest has been there K through 5th. I've seen the school come up from a C school our first year to a B and now its been an A school (and a 5 star school) for the last 3 years! We had a great principle Mrs Floyd, who received 'principle of the year'. Mrs Wilke has taken over since last year and she is great - super involved and ever-present. When I visit the school she is walking the halls and overseeing every daily event. She is quite open to parent interaction too. My kids have been fortunate to have outstanding teachers who are super involved. They do not deal with the kids generically but treat them like special individuals with different needs. I'm proud of the school for rising up from the bottom to the very top of the heap!

Posted March 24, 2009

This school has the best of everything. It has fabulous leadership, outstanding dedicated teachers, academic achievement and a pleasant student population. Our child thrives here in comparison to the local private school which has a lot of behavior problem children and poor leadership. This school far exceeds our expectations

Posted March 29, 2008

My Child has been going there for 3 years now. His first and second year were great. But this year... His teacher doesn't seem to care. There is no communication what so ever. She says in his reports how great he is doing then all of a sudden he isn't passing. And the uniforms, Its just more money to spend. They were an A school & a 5 star school before the uniforms. Clothes don't matter to little kids. They just make the kids uncomfortable. And what about the kids that are heavier to be forced to wear something that they don't feel good in.

Posted November 1, 2007

The parents that complain, are the parents that are not involved. My son started school here in August. He's in kindergarten. The communication with the teacher is awesome. Every day I know whats going on. He had a 'Hat Parade' last week. I was shocked to find out only 2 out of 20 kids in his class actually came in with a decorated hat! What does that tell you. The parent either ignored it, or had NO time. These are teachers not babysitters for the day YOU need to play your part as a parent to teach your child in addition to what he learns in school. If he/she doesn't do well, don't blame the school or its staff, blame yourself. As for extra activities, if they don't offer what you like, take that time and do some PE and art with them at home.

Posted June 20, 2007

In response to some of the parents saying that the school offers no extra curricular activities, I was thrilled to see that Windmill Point added arts to education this past year. They now have three full dance team of boys and girl from k-5th over 100 students participating run by volunteering teachers as well as chorus and drama department. Their academics have also been on the rise and they again achieved being the representing school of Positive Behavior Support. You go--Windmill Point.

Posted April 25, 2007

I love this school for the fact that teachers there really care and they have so many activities and keep the kids interested

Posted March 16, 2007

This school is great, however,the communication with the parents need to improve greatly. The flyers sent home seems to lack all the info needed for a activity. There needs to be alot more programs for physical activity. More P.E.,music,sports etc.,.

Posted January 15, 2007

we are ok with the way windmill point teaches. however, when a child needs help, the staff should offer help(tutoring) or allow the willing parent to come in the classroom of their child in order to help them improve academically. teachers can only do so much.when teachers do their job well, there is no need to hide anything. we agree with the rest of the parents in areas of extra teaching like music instruments, other languages,and physical activities.

Posted January 6, 2007

My daughter is in 3rd grade and my son is in 1st. This is their second year attending Windmill Point and I am pleased with their academic progress. I believe the principal's previous experiences are a great asset. Both of them are wonderful readers and are excited about letting me know what they've learned that day. I would have to agree with the other reviews that there are not enough extra-curricular activities for the children, and no recess time is very disappointing. I believe that they do need a 'break' from sitting in the classroom all day, it is an outlet for them to learn social skills, as well as, have some fun outdoors. In a time where both parents work full-time and obesity in children is on the rise, I think that this needs to become an essential part of their day.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

140 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

700 SW Darwin Blvd