Bad
Good

Both my kids have been at Valrico Academy for two years now, one is currently in second and the other in third grade. Teachers are generally very good, with several that are truly dedicated and excellent. Teachers are dedicated, and they encourage parents to use the school website and email to keep tabs on their kids. We've had no serious issues, and have found the homework and coursework to be challenging, but fair. Be aware that kids attending this school are taught to be high achievers from an early age, and parents are expected to support this expectation. While there is no competition between the students, don't be surprised to see other parents be very involved and concerned with their kids progress. All in all, this is an excellent school.

It is a wonderful school for academics and I have no complaints about that. The staff are genuine and it reflects on their attitude towards the children. My biggest concern is the complete lack of athletic facilities. It is appalling that a school with 650+ kids has just a basketball court and a little area ( probably 50' by 20') for the kids to run around. That would be the only negative thing I can say....

The new principal (as of 2014-2015 school year) is wonderful. She and the teachers and staff have been nothing short of amazing. The teachers work closely with the students to ensure that kids are leaening in a manner which suits them and they don't teach to the standardized tests. My children are very happy at school and look forward to attending each day. From the front office staff who greets parents with a warm hello to the lunch ladies, custodians and all of the teaching staff, you just can't go wrong with this school.

What a great year my kids are having now that Mrs. Guertin and all of the teachers that left with her are gone! Let that school in Lutz have her and the others. Our school is productive, organized and a warm, inviting place for kids to learn!! Please those of you whovledtcwhen Mrs.G was here, it has changed, please come back!!

New Prinicpal is easy to access. She is always on the line during pick up and dismissal and easy to catch in the office if you need her. Michelle in the office makes the environment very warm and friendly. She cares for every one of those kids who comes through and so many kids come through the front office for one reason or another everytime I am there. They absolutely adore Michelle and she is always there to help them (and the parents). Traffic is much easier now. Pick up and drop off require some patience, but the teachers are working just as hard as the parents every day to make sure it runs smoothly and orderly. Food is not good so pack your lunch. Field trips are great. Sports are great, with Coach Nily and Thomas and so many volunteers to make sure everything runs smoothly. Uniforms fall apart, but everyone in town uses Ibley so nothing new. The success in the classroom is the best part. The teachers for our two years have been very strong. Challenging curriculum and the focus on actively learning the content. The parent contact is another plus.

This is my first year at Valrico Academy and I could not be happier. I have been teaching for quite some time, and this is by far my favorite teaching experience during my 12 year career. It has become a second family to me. The school has a great reputation and now I can see why. The teachers, parents, and students are second to none, and the administration is professional, supportive, and is on hand at all times to help.

The teacher morale at this school is at an all time low. The school has had years of high achievement and community. You can make false statements but does not change the facts that over 21 teacher left the school at the end of the 2013/14 school year. More than a few teachers have left this school year and some are planning on leaving. You can not build a sense of community and excellence with that kind of turn over. It says something about leadership. Sad but true.

We are very happy at Valrico Academy. Thrilled the former principal is gone with all her flaky attitudes. The expectations and new management are refreshing. Thank you!

I called to get information about the school. I never got a call back. I decided to stop by to see if somebody could give information about openings, I was received by a not a very pleasant front desk lady. The only words out if her mouth were we have no space and you may want to apply online. I am glad we had the option of going to another school where the Assistant Vice Principal called me back right away.

The teachers are fantastic and truly care about the students. Also, the curriculum is very hands-on for tactile learners. I really like how the teachers hold each child accountable for his/her work and behavior, and how each child is treated like an individual.

Last modified Valrico Lake Advantage Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.