Public charter
Riverview, FL
Students enrolled: 1,263
Before care: Yes

Posted December 08, 2014
My kids have been at the school since day one. While there were some issues at the beginning, you would have to expect that with a start up school. After only 3 years, they earned an A rating in academics. If academics is your priority, this is a great school.

Posted July 31, 2014
My daughter has completed her first (fourth) grade year at Winthrop, and she is gearing up for her fifth. After a full year there, I decided to post this review. My husband and I are very pleased with the school overall. We loved the teachers our daughter had - Mrs. Guzan and Mrs. Bowlby. They were completely professional, reliable, and very hard-working the entire year. Most of the teachers and staff are pleasant but hard-working. These people bustle and hustle. They are committed to reaching the school's goals, it is very evident. The school policies are strict for a purpose - to create uniformity in dress and provide a basic expectation of good behavior. In no way does the school inhibit children's individuality. It provides structure at a basic level so that children feel empowered at higher levels. The only complaint I have is the lack of a school nurse during school hours. Sometimes there seemed to be one; other times, there was not. This is the only major concern I have. As for other bad reviews, I've seen the principal many times - bustling, lol - and he always had a friendly smile. Same with the front office staff. I recommend Winthrop highly. :)

Posted June 05, 2014
This school has provided me with the right tools and assistance to help my son succeed. With the online grading system PowerSchool, I was able to see from early on in the year that he needed extra help with reading. I met with his teacher to discuss my concerns, and we were able to come up with a plan that included several levels of help depending on how things progressed. Fortunately, it was enough for him to be worked with in small groups several times a week to help him improve, but had this not worked, there were other levels of assistance that were ready to be put in place. I was able to keep tabs on my son s grade through PowerSchool and keep in frequent touch with his teacher, who gave him special encouragement when he did especially well on a weekly reading test. Also, when I had concerns about my son s stuttering, I was able to quickly get him in for an evaluation with the school speech pathologist. This was very helpful to not have to pay for an outside evaluation. Because of all the help available to me, my son was able to have a very successful year.

Posted May 19, 2014
Great school !! teachers and faculty are great, always available, and are wonderful with the kids. The curriculum is both challenging, and beneficial to the students. I reccomend this school to all the moms I know !

Posted May 18, 2014
My daughter has been at this school now since the day it opened (3 years now) and she has excelled with the many opportunities provided to her. The academic and extra curricular activities have been available since the very beginning. She has been part of honor music society, National Junior Honor Society, safety patrols, athletic teams, yearbook club, etc. In each one of these instances, she was only allowed to participate if she kept good grades and good behavior. I like that the school puts emphasis on not only academics but also on building good people. They are not allowed to be on the athletic teams or go on field trips if their teachers don't sign off on their grades & behavior. I think this is really important, especially in the middle school so that these kids know what is expected of them as they grow into responsible adults. Uniform policy is strict but I would rather deal with that than have my kids in an environment where baggy pants or short shorts or other inappropriate clothing is the norm.

Posted May 13, 2014
Winthrop is a wonderful school! We've been here since the beginning, and have been happy every day of the past three school years. Great teachers, great office staff, great leadership, great aftercare program! I can't say enough good things about Winthrop!

Posted March 24, 2014
This school is great. We transferred our child in mid-year last year from another CSUSA campus that wasn't a good environment. We have been blessed with great teachers, administration and staff. The school is strict but I love that. We know exactly what is expected and the consequences. This is a hard working group of professionals. I drive over 70 miles per day so my child can attend this school. It is worth the time and effort! I would highly recommend Winthrop Charter School.

Posted March 19, 2014
This is my son's first year at Winthrop. I am a principal at another school 2 hours from here. I struggled with placing my son in a school close to home or in my school. We bounced back and forth and decided to try Winthrop out. We are thrilled with what our son has experienced. He tried the rules at first but his teacher held strong and together we got him to clearly understand this was his school and he had to follow rules as he would the rest of his life. His teacher was very supportive and never gave up. By the end of September he was following rules making good grades and the behavior had stopped. For some parents this tough routine of student accountability for their behavior and grades isn't what they expect or want to them I say this is why teaching has lost so many good teachers. Perhaps they need to consider that the reason any of the teachers have left is not the school or the administration but the parents who refuse to think their child is anything but perfect. Winthrop address the whole child. We love the school and look forward to another year.

Posted March 07, 2014
To the patent who posted on March 6th. How many teachers have you had or do you know? How have you tried to get in contact with your teacher, if they don't respond take it to the principal but most respond. You cannot say that the majority of our teachers are that way unless you've had contact directly with them. I am sorry you are having such a bad experience but overall Winthrop is a good school with good teachers that go out of their way for their students. I myself have my feelings about the 7the grade math issue but instead of bashing the school online I went to the higher-ups about it. Overall Winthrop gas been great for my kids. I suggest this school to everyone. Also how much time do you spend at the school? How often do you volunteer? It makes a difference in your child's life to gave you there. It's great that we as parents are offered this opportunity here. Sad that more parents don't take advantage of it. It might change a few perspectives on the school too. :)

Winthrop Charter School 1

Posted March 06, 2014
This school has many teachers that have very little experience . The teachers do NOT teach outside the box ! Most can't even teach period!! All the teachers Do NOT post all the grades as they grade them . I agree with the post below many teachers have left this school. That's the BIG talk at pick up. Take my advice find another school with teachers that are experienced and know how to email parents in a respectful way.

Winthrop Charter School
6204 Scholars Hill Lane, Riverview, FL  33578
Last modified Winthrop Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Winthrop Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top