K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted March 28, 2015
Winthrop is a awesome school! Ever since my daughter was accepted in to this school she has been excelling. My daughter is always on honor role and I would like to say thanks to all of the teachers and staff for participating in my child life. I'm a active parent so therefore me and the teachers works hand and hand as it should be. Although my daughter suffers from asthma she has no problem being administering her self a treatment under supervision of staff. All the staff in the main office is a really huge help with my child however I have to give extra kudos to Ms. Harbaugh for being so extra attentive towards my child. She's great with all the children and parents. Ms. Harbaugh is amazing and very understanding at all times no matter the traffic that comes through the front office she's giving her all and maintaining that perfect smile as always. She is so wonderful I hope she doesn't depart ways n time soon my daughter has another to go until she goes to middle school then she can leave and go over to the middle school :) I rate this school 5 stars because thats all I can rate because if I had more they will have more :)

Posted August 04, 2014
My son completed 7th gr and daughter completed 3rd. What a disappointment 7th gr was this year with regards to the number of teacher changes. He must have had at least 4 different teachers for Lang Arts and probably the same for Math. What a disaster! Very seriously considering switching to public.

Posted July 25, 2014
my daughter attended the Middle school here, The Principal is Never at any event, concert, awards, talent shows. The parent communication is poor they send emails out to inform you of a event that is the same day!. they have assigned seats for Lunch, No locker rooms to change in/out for PE. No Gym they do all the sports on the field, with no cover for shade. The math teacher is a joke! he went so fast more students failed then actually passed his class. I wish I would have had another option for my child.. I am concerned that she will be behind in High school.

Posted May 16, 2014
This has been an excellent school for my daughter. She attended 7th grade last year and now 8th grade this year. There are plenty of activities (which she cares about) and plenty of individual attention from the teachers (which I care about).

Posted April 27, 2014
This is our second year at winthrop, I currently have a first grader and a eight grader, I have nothing bad to said about the school only pros for example great communication with teachers and staff, it's always a sport program or tutoring (if that is case) available for the kids, I like the fact that they will always challenge the kids academically. The school is growing and I am happy to be part of it, this is the result of parents getting involved with the school and voluntaring. Any issue that I had in the pass is been address promptly and professionally.

Posted March 05, 2014
My son was attending this school since it opened. I thought was great the first 2 years. This year has been a HUGE Disappointment . The teachers at this school seem to have zero or very little experience. The curriculum in Reading is very advanced so when you have teacher's with little experience it does not make a good combination. There are a couple of good ones if you get lucky. The level of disrespect I had from 2 teachers this year is just UNEXPECTABLE . There are many teachers that have left this school with reasons" unknown" Lack of Communication with teachers emailing back, way too many TESTS in 2nd grade , a lot teachers leaving or little experience, your lucky if the kids get to play outside once a week, and they have zero socialization . Public is soooo much better!!!

Winthrop Charter School 4

Posted September 08, 2013
Winthrop is beginning its 3rd year and received a "B" as their school grade after being open its second year! After being open the first year they were a "C" school. This means that many of those students made academic gains. My children have been there since the beginning. My second grader's reading scores are above average and my 8th grader received a Level 3 on the math and reading FCAT. They have a growing athletic program (cheerleading, flag football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and golf) as well as interesting afterschool clubs like the Broadway club, robotics, etc. There is a great deal of parent involvement, and academic leadership in the school. It's a great alternative to what's out there for elementary and middle school in the Riverview, Gibsonton, Apollo Beach areas.

Posted March 26, 2013
My son attends Winthrop Charter School and my dauther will attend in 2 years. The teachers are excellent and the Principal is awesome!!! The activities they offer for all grades are exactly what the students need to become leaders later in life. My kids will be there until the end of middle school and we hope they build a high school so they can stay there until they go to college.

Posted August 09, 2012
Yes... this school was given a "C" for last year. It was the very 1st year of being open!!! That means that ALL the kids from the entire county who were not well taught came to this school and now the repair work has to begin. I would have liked the grade to be higher... but I know it will be next year. This school is amazing. The staff is so helpful and the teachers are going far and above what is expected of them. I know for a fact that my daughters K5 class last year what a hot mess when the teacher got them. Some of the kids could not spell or even pick out their own name. By the end of the year.... all of the kid were up to and had moved beyond K5 reading levels. Amazing! Kuddos to this school and keep up the fantastic work!!

Winthrop Charter School 2

Posted July 30, 2012
"A great school has excellent teachers, strong principal/school leadership and challenging academic programs" to quote this website. I can find none of these here. Some of the teachers I have encountered are sub-par with short tempers, and the principal is a "myth" because I haven't seen him one time during the entire time my 2 kids attended. The earned school grade of C makes me wonder what is really going on here?!? This is supposed to be a "charter" school where education is top priority, yet I'm beginning to believe that there is something else happening since in the first year of existence we can't even get an A. Both my kids passed with flying colors, but not because of anything they have gotten in Florida.

Winthrop Charter School
204 Scholars Hill Lane, Riverview, FL  33578
Last modified Winthrop Charter School is a Private school that serves grades K-8