School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Kid's Community College Southeast opened in August 2012 and became part of a dynamic family of schools in Florida. We pride ourselves on providing a nurturing school environment and a rigorous inquiry-based academic program. We have been approved as an official IB Candidate School for the 2013-2014 school year and will have a wide variety of IB resources available to us. Our parents play a big role in the success of our school and journey toward IB authorization through volunteerism, donations, and fundraising efforts. We have an open door policy and encourage frequent communication between home and school through several mediums and a minimum of one parent-professor conference per quarter. We provide a number of extended services based on student academic needs. Furthermore, our special needs students are served according to their individual education plans and are supported by KCC staff members. Additional support is provided through the Hillsborough School District. The thorough process of identifying special needs students is done in accordance with state and federal law, as well as Hillsborough School District policies.
May 17, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers here are the best! They pay attention to my daughter and make sure she is getting what she needs.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have a lot of groups that focus on volunteering and doing things for other people. They are good about focusing on the whole child and not just the books.

The teachers and campus director here are amazing. My daughter was in our regular school last year but she struggled the whole time and it was tough for us. We moved her to KCC and it has been a great year for my daughter. She is learning so much and doing so well here. I would highly recommend this school!

We couldn't get away fast enough. We were one of the original families at KCC SE and spent 3 years there, leaving after the 2014-15 school year and we couldn't get away fast enough. If you're into nepotism, this is the school for you. The children of certain employees and volunteers get chosen for everything -- while many other capable and qualified children get left in the dust. Cougars Care, NEHS, Safety Patrol, you name it-- only the teacher / admin favorites get chosen. The before / aftercare is overpriced and offers little value other than a babysitting service. There is a bullying problem that goes largely ignored. They do not follow EP's, 504's or IEP's and they are not qualified to write them in the first place. Their plans are reactive and do noting to mitigate or solve problems. In regards to the above: DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL IF THEY ARE GIFTED OR HAVE A DISABILITY THAT REQUIRES AN EP, IEP OR 504. (I can't stress this enough -- my children and many of their friends have been offered a gross disservice by this school.) Also, if you think your child is gifted, forget about getting them tested through this school. They'll promise to do it forever and will never get around to it -- but even if they do, they'll ignore the EP so I guess it doesn't matter either way. The school gives the CPA a huge fundraising goal and does NOTHING to support them in getting involvement for their fundraisers. Overall, it's just a really bad place unless you're in the "in crowd". My children have just completed a year at a charter in Tampa and they are thriving academically, emotionally and socially. Many of their friends will not be returning next year -- in fact, I hear that there are staff families that are not returning and in my opinion, actions speak volumes.

I really wanted my daughter to go to an IB school. This school is everything I hoped for and more. I am amazed by how much my daughter is learning and I am so pleased with the teachers and administrators. It really feels like family here.

I can seriously tell the difference between public and charter schools. My son is now in the 9th grade in a public high school and the teachers have excuses for everything and on top of that, he got jumped by a kid in class and when he defended himself, he got in trouble. Thank you to the entire KCC family for equipping my son for educational success! Are you a perfect school? No school is, but you are one of the schools who really care about its students! KCC High Charter School????

I think is a great school overall, but need to encourage the parents to volunteer more and more often. Parents are not putting the volunteer time required with the school commitment. Also needs a future program for student above average within their classroom and grade where the teacher can recommend so that the student will not get distracted and can stay focus exceeding possible some next grade level assignments. One thing I can't understand why can the kids celebrate Christmas and other holiday when all other school are able to , by just keeping a respect for anyone that don't celebrate for a reason or another which is understandable but why penalize the majority and the beauty of the holidays. Kids don't understand and they are little and should be able to enjoy the innocence of their believes. I recommend looking into it keeping the respect for everyone but not limiting all.

I've seen so many positive areas of growth in my daughter from both the educational and personal perspectives. Making top grades has been fairly easy for her since starting with the KCC VPK program but she now is being challenged to achieve those top scores by the IB and 3rd grade expectations and that's where I see the growth in her character and her study skills. I must add, this transition has helped me grow as a parent too. I've had to brush away the cobwebs from my brain when I review her homework with her and she asks me what's the square root of...? Yikes! (I don't remember doing Algebra or Geometry until I was in H.S. - where's my chamomile tea?!) Thanks for all you do for us KCC SE. We appreciate you so much.

This is an amazing school. The teachers and staff go above and beyond. I can't imagine sending my children any where else.

I've been with KCC SE for several years now, and I still love working here. We are slowly growing and now serve K-4 as well as VKP. I love that the students and their families are as passionate about our school as the teachers and staff members are. It feels like a family; one that welcomes new students. As a professor, I benefit from the professional development that KCC SE provides, including IB PYP trainings. This enables me to confidently teach our students all they need to know/understand, go beyond the Florida Standards, and guide them to become problem solvers and responsible citizens.

Last modified Kid's Community College Charter School Southeast Campus is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5