Sessums Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 807 students

Posted February 26, 2014

I love this school. My two older children went here and my youngest one goes here too. We have had nothing but great experiences. My children have all been on the honor roll or principals honor roll as well so the curriculum is challenging but the teachers make learning fun. I also think the staff is amazing with the kids. Those kids are well cared for and truly loved by the staff. I would recommend this school to anybody who asked.

Posted February 3, 2014

This school is average. The school is not welcoming of parents. One parent volunteer for activities and I was told that I could not accompany my young child to breakfast. The curriculum is boring and uninspiring. Tons of worksheets and teaching to tests. We are looking into magnet and charter school options for next year.

Posted November 2, 2013

Great school, great teachers. They are wonderful with my child that has autism :) Actually went to Winthrope and pulled him out to go to sessums because it was that much better.

Posted April 11, 2013

SESSUMS- I have a 1st grader w/ADHD, and I have struggled trying to manage his difficulties without meds.This yr I put him on it,so his self esteem wouldnt be affected &he could focus.(He was A&B student without meds, but very impulsive and you had to tell him 4 times to do a task because he's gets distracted.) I made his teachers aware on 1st day of school and at great length.Since then, he's been made a spectacle of in front of his class when he's "not paying attention",made to eat lunch alone for a week because "he isn't eating his lunch", and I get called at work because " he wasn't focused for a 4 hour SAT test, and wasn't paying attention to the question being read to the class." WELL, lack of appetite is a side effect from his medication, so if he said he's not hungry, rather than punish him in front of his entire class, why not offer him a substitution like PB&J? She also talked about him w/teacher in the class next door, in a negative manner, in front of my son. I am hurt. My 6 y/o now comes home saying "it's ok mom,I am bad in her class,cuz she has to tell me to do stuff more than once,so I guess she's telling the truth." WHY WOULD A TEACHER LOWER A 6 Y/O SELF ESTEEM??

Posted December 28, 2012

I attended this school K-5 and I had no complaints with any of my teachers.They were the foundation to my great grades even here in middle school.There were tons of activities throughout the year and if you had any problems,the guidance counselor or teacher was there for you.Right from kindergarten they teach you to respect one another and the guidance counselor always talks to classes each month with different themes.The school is kept clean and very green unlike my current school.

Posted February 27, 2012

My son is in kindergarden at Sessums and I am starting to become very displeased with his teacher. I admit he sometimes has trouble focusing but his teacher sends him home with 6 or more things that he hadn't completed during the school day. I find that to be unacceptable. She should put a little more focus on him and make sure he is completing his assignments. I agree it is my responsibility to help him with his hw which I do every day but it is her responsibility to teach him and make sure he is keeping up with the class. I don't even receive notes telling me if he is falling behind or not. Only "turn in ASAP" on a sticky note attached to a bunch of assignments. She also forgets to send the assignments on friday and sends them monday expecting them back the next day. Having to do all that work in one night is frustrating to my son as I'm sure it would be for any child in kindergarden. I am hoping that things improve soon and that I am not going to have to spend the whole summer getting him caught up.

Posted March 2, 2010

I agree...my son too is in the 4th grade. He is having difficulty with math and reading, but ALL this school worries about is FCAT! He is being bullied too.

Posted September 23, 2009

My son attended Sessums for 3-5th grade. The teachers are wonderful. They are very involved in their students and their studies. The principal was wonderful and seemed to be very involved and supportive of her staff unlike the previous elementary school he attended.

Posted September 1, 2009

It's unfortunate with a site like this because so often people only come to share the things they are displeased with. I have had my children in Sessums since it opened and I have only had pleasant experiences. The teachers work hard and and PTA provides loads of fun activities for the kids. This school was a godsend to my son when my husband and I divorced and his teachers were more than willing to accomodate the split schedules and double the conferences. This school is a rare jewel.

Posted June 3, 2009

I have 2 children in this school and I am not finding the teacher helpful at all. My oldest is in 4th grade and he is getting bullied and it is not being taken seroisly at this school. I am not sending them next year!

Posted January 26, 2009

My daughter went to Collins Elemenry for kindergarten and now attends Sessums for 1st grade. She is a young student and amazingly is do wonderful in Mrs. Flemmings triad. She has learned a great deal and has matured a lot in one year. I am satisfied with her teachers but not happy with the disorginization of the school. Picking her up is an absolute joke! There is no orginization or I.D. check. Not safe! I am satisfied with her class and her teachers but nothing else. This could be an excellent school if they took a few pointers from collins and made pick up a little more organized.

Posted August 6, 2008

'A' rated school with excellent, caring teachers and hard working staff. Great PTA helps to enrich the school experience. Looking forward to another great year.

Posted June 4, 2008

my daughter went here for kg...we were so please...mrs mounce is the best teacher that you could ask for...I only hope were that lucky again this year

Posted May 30, 2008

I am sadly disappointed with my daughter's experience in this school. Coming from an 'A' rated school to Sessums was a real 'let down'. The three teachers she has had duing the past two years were not focused on her learning. Additionally, the school's uniform policy is a joke. The prinicipal has told both my husband and myself that the uniforms are not mandatory. However, in order for a child to be a crossing guard, a student must wear a 'mandatory' uniform. This is both contridictory and ridiculous. I have dropped my daughter off at school numerous times and saw first hand, crossing guards not wearing uniforms. Tis school is discriminating against students.

Posted November 21, 2007

My daughter has been at Sessums for two years and I am dreadding having to tell her she might have to change schools next year. I am spoiled by my experience at sessums and it will be difficult to find another public school that would measure up. She loves going to school, the PTA is very involved, and the teachers that I have had the pleasure of dealing with genuinely care. Ms Ms Mounce, Ms Mohammed, Ms Law, Ms Johnson- thank you. I must say the previous review is the exception rather than the norm. No school is perfect, but Sessums Elem is definitely one of the best out there. Period!

Posted November 19, 2007

I have kids in college, high school and middle school and never before in my life have I seen such a poorly managed school.

Posted October 20, 2007

I would love to say thank you on behalf of Mrs. Howsare and myself. We love our students and truly want the best for them. Thanks for your wonderful remarks about us and the school we love! Thanks again, Ms. Simmons
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 29, 2007

My child loved his third grade teachers, Mrs. Howsare and Ms. Simmons. They both worked really hard to prepare him for FCAT. When he came to Sessums he was a grade level behind because he missed most of first grade. I have a special place in my heart for these two teachers. They are a rare find and my husband and I were truly blessed to have them both in our child's life. Thank you Mrs. Howsare and Ms. Simmons.

Posted January 11, 2006

Sessums is an 'A' school and also a 5 Star school of Excellence. I have had my twins there ever since it opened 3 years ago and We all love it. There is not a teacher that I would not want. They are all very good at what they teach. The music, are and p.e. programs are exceptional. There are many extracurricular activities like sock hops, resturant nights, skate nights, PTA sponsered events, Fall festivals and many other activities. The kids get snowcones (warm weather) and popcorn (cool weather) on Fridays. Parent involvement is excellent.

Posted October 29, 2005

Sessums has been a great school overall academically. The teachers have been great about communicating with parents. The fourth grade teachers sent home newsletters to keep the parents updated on what was going on in the classroom. The PTA is very involved and there are many events going on. They've raised a lot of money to get some great things for this newer school, like playground equipment. My concern with the school is security. I've picked up my child a few times without being asked for id. The interior courtyard of the school is accessible from the side parking lot. There is a gate and I have to say it is closed more often than it used to be, but parking in the front is very, very limited and parents need to park in this side lot occasionally so the gate is open during the day sometimes.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

132 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

132 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

117 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

135 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11525 Ramble Creek Drive