No rating

St Stephen Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 303 students

We are known for our inclusive and supportive learning environment.

Living in Riverview

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted July 2, 2014

I am a parent of 3 boys at this school. It is a wonderful place where Christian Values and Love are practiced and taught daily. I am so very grateful to have my boys here in this amazing place! The Academics are significantly above any of our friend s children or neighborhood friends. The graduates from here also test and place in honors classes etc. when they move on to high school. I would never send my children anywhere else.

Posted June 16, 2014

This school was excellent for our child in middle school. Teachers are very caring. Atmosphere of school friendly, supportive, family like, and definitely promotes Christian values. Middle school incorporated IPads and it has been a wonderful transition from traditional learning. The children are very engaged and excited about learning with this technology addition. Difficult locating a high school that is as tech savy as this middle school. Science and math average, need a way to separate learners who can excellent from those a who need extra help. Language art, reading, religion, and social studies, P .E. , excellent. We had a very positive three years at this school and would recommend it.

Posted May 17, 2014

This school has been excellent. I am so glad we transferred our son here. His teachers are very attentive and he loves the school.

Posted November 11, 2013

Our child has been attending Saint Stephen Catholic school since she was 4 years old. We have been very happy with the school. Our child is ahead of her peers in the public schools. The teachers are qualified, loving, caring and they constantly inspire the students to reach their full spiritual and academic potential. The class sizes have been criticized in some of the reviews, yet each class has an assistant teacher and the teachers have their classes under control. The school has an enrichment program, computer lab and library, catered lunch order program, Spanish, music and art. There are a lot of after school sports, art and community involvement programs available.

Posted November 8, 2013

At the beginning of the year many of us were shocked and saddened with the departure of the Sisters. I must admit I was very upset and did contemplate pulling my daughter from the school, but my husband and I decided not to make a rash decision based on emotion at that time. Ultimately after much discussion and prayer we have decided to leave her in the school which she seems very happy in and we are happy with. Yes there are some negatives as some have pointed out, changing administration, teacher turnover and larger class size. However there is a lot going right at this school too: Catholic Education is visibly integrated into various aspects of the school (i.e. curriculum, weekly mass, and environment) The teachers are caring, hard working, and effective. Environment is safe, warm and family like. The parents here do care and are very involved in the school.....Recently I have spoken to a lot of parents and teachers from many different schools and have come to the conclusion that all schools seem to have their own set of issues and drama. What matters most is that my daughter is in a Catholic, safe, and caring environment where she is given an opportunity to learn.

Posted October 23, 2013

Very poorly run, our child has been there 3 years and has had 5 teachers. They are looking for a new principal which will be the 4th in our time there. Stay away there are better options. There is a lot of favoritism and the school caters to those who complain.

Posted October 14, 2013

Large, ineffective and poorly integrated classroom environment; Inexperienced teachers; Outdated learning model; Failure to recognize & differentiate student unique learning and personality characteristics Poor out of class assignment structure and content

Posted September 29, 2013

terrible school, bad teachers, terrible parents. my review of this school was deleted at the schools request even though it did not violate greatschools guidelines. Any real review on this school gets deleted and all that is left behind are the nice or old ones!

Posted May 19, 2013

St. Stephen Catholic School is such a wonderful place to send your children. We are fairly new and in such a short period of time watched our children grow spritually as young people and they just love their school. Our new Sisters along with our wonderful in-school priest are just "Heaven Sent"! These three role models are so wonderful with our children, and you can see how the children love them right back! The teachers are also amazing and really care about your children, and you can see that everyday. If your looking for an environment that is structured yet loving that has a wonderful academic setting, St. Stephen is the school. We look forward to many years here watching our children learn and grow.

Posted March 29, 2013

This is a nice school. For years we were happy, but we noticed that academically it was not up to par. If you want a warm environment this is a great school, but if you are looking towards the future, of your child being successful in high school, then you must look elsewhere. My son and daughter were both behind once they left St. Stephen's. We had to send them to Mathnesium to pass Freshman math (and they both aced math in middle school). I realized that if the school is inexpensive then there is something lacking.

Posted November 15, 2012

This is my son's 2nd year at this school and I'm very pleased with his experience thus far. His class last year (3 year olds) seemed to really bond together. They were a nice group of kids. I've been impressed with the emphasis placed on treating each other well. My son hasn't had any negative experiences with his classmates, which is amazing compared to some of the horror stories I've heard from friends with 3 and 4 year olds. The new principal this year has really impressed me. She seems to be very on top of things, willing to listen to parents, and focused on promoting a safe, bully-free environment for our kids. My son's teachers and aides have been very good. I'm pleased with the amount of religious instruction he receives. My 4 year old regularly leads the family prayer at dinner and has learned to recite common prayers and create his own. I have heard from other parents that they were concerned with the number of students in a class, but I haven't had concerns about it. The classroom discipline from the teachers has been very strong so far and I feel that creates an environment for learning much more so than the number of kids.

Posted November 7, 2012

This is my son's second year at St. Stephen's. I signed him up for St. Stephen's because I was hoping I'd have teacher's who really cared about him as a person and a student - and that is just what we found. He is doing excellent with his beginning reading and math skills, learning things adults don't know in science and has come home teaching us about forgiveness, God and "his favorite character" Jesus. It's just a wonderful, loving school. I am excited to have my second son enroll next year as well!

Posted October 28, 2012

We have been at St. Stephen for 4 years now and are very happy with our children's growth both academically and spiritually. The teachers are exceptional and strive to challenge their students to their full potential. Having two sisters and a priest on site is also a blessing. Our children are so happy at this school!

Posted October 24, 2012

All three of my children have graduated from St. Stephen Catholic School. All were very well prepared for high school - academically, socially and spiritually. This is our "home". Caring teachers and staff. High academic standards.

Posted October 6, 2012

My children have attended St. Stephen for a long time, and I am very pleased with the education they are receiving. This school builds character, has a warm, loving sense of community, and provides a high-quality Catholic education that is preparing them well for high school.

Posted September 30, 2012

Love this school....has made several big improvements within the last year. The presence of an on-school priest, as well as two Religious sisters, is priceless. The benefit to the school children is tremendous. The school is very supportive of the children. The new principal is very involved and supportive of both teachers and kids. Administration is fair and supportive. Teachers quality is excellent.

Posted May 19, 2012

A caholic education and invironment is pricless. This school has that. My kids have been at St Stephens for several years. They have caring teachers who provide a sound education and disapline and dedication that you don't find at public schools. I am blessed that I have the oppertunity to send my kids to this school.

Posted May 9, 2012

I absolutely LOVE - LOVE St. Stephens. My kids have been there since early childhood classes from the age of 3.. the teachers are great and the church is very involved and the children adore Father Bill. I have 2 kids and they feel the same way!! We've been there for 5 years now.

Posted May 7, 2012

I would never think of sending my children anywhere else! I think their standards are high and it shows in the level of education that my 3 kids get. I think parent envolvement is also important and St Stephen's finds a way to get even the working parent involved.

Posted February 7, 2012

Great school. Caring and open. The teachers and administration listen and support their students. They remind me of a 1970's public school with additional religious concentration.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Accreditation (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Mark Majeski
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Catholic
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (813) 741-9622

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Social justice
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • 4H

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom