Spoto High School

Public | 9-12 | 1354 students

Posted September 13, 2014

I go here class of 2015! the school is fine. yes there are fights periodically just like other schools. a lot of bad reviws from the parents are because those parents are over protective and are babying there children. we have great organizations like TBK (to be kind) SGA, reading club, and tons of sports. we always welcome new kids because since its a small school everybody knows everybody. I'm not going to beat around the bush there is a "bad crowd" so to speak. but everyone sticks up for everyone. the school is find and we are not huge. teachers come and go because thanks to the school they get great offers for higher positions. we welcome all and don't be afraid to come to the school because some parents are afraid of their kid seeing the truth of the world.

Posted September 4, 2014

Spoto high school is one of the schools I would want to recommend to someone else.

Posted July 29, 2014

wat up i go to spoto im on the football team im da only and best asian on da team but uhh the school its straight i had alot of fun coming here when i thought i wouldnt like it coming from east bay but is cool i dont understand why all these people are complaining i mean i had fun and dont think im some delinquent i have a 3.6 gpa as of right now going into sophmore year so yea my review is legit and dont judge a school because of the area i mean its fun and i didnt worry and if your great at sports get on football coach cap would be glad to have newcomers have fun

Posted November 13, 2013

My son attended Spoto from 9th - until graduation. There is a bad element at this school, just like every other high school in the county. If your student is involved in extracurricular activities and wants to learn, he/she wont have an issue. The Principal has this school under control and the teachers are very good. The comments about this school being in a "poorer area" are semi-correct. The school is located near Progress Village, but there are students of all socio-economic backgrounds attending this school. From Lake St. Charles, Bloomingdale Hills to Progress Village.

Posted August 10, 2013

This school has its fights yes, but so does every other school in a poorer area. The teachers are amazing and caring and the programs offered are FREAKING AMAZING! The stuff you get to do here as a student is so liberating and challenging that none of the fights and fires matter. Its high school. Come on now. Get involved in the fashion program, band, ROTC, SGA or Theatre. You'll see what the hype is about!

Posted June 14, 2013

Spoto High School is an amazing school. Most of the students have positive attitudes and come to school everyday ready to learn. Our principal, Mr. Carr does an excellent job to make sure we are safe and that we are learning what we need to learn. In addition, academically this school is strong. The teachers here are awesome and know what they're doing. Because of their outstanding success I recieved high scores on all exams, EOC's, and FCAT Writes. To sum it up, at Spoto we believe in PRIDE. It's what keeps us pushing through. I take much pride in representing my school and I refuse to be sent anywhere else. Spoto is my home and I plan on riding out the rest of high school here. I am proud to be a Spartan!

Posted May 26, 2013

The school was suppose to be better than King. It is not, it is a regular Florida High school. They have fights and now they are afraid of what has gone on in the rest of the country. If a school gets shot up in another state Florida schools will have a lock down to make sure it does not happen here. Remind your children to watch what they say because it might be misinterpreted and you may find a cop at your door saying they are afraid. The only thing Spoto brags about is the ROTC so if your into the ROTC you will do fantastic.

Posted April 10, 2013

We transferred to the Brandon area for work and looked at a few schools before making a decision on Spoto. Yes, it is new and clean school, but there are many down sides to this school. We weren't informed that because of the location of our house, we would have to drive our child to school. This was after he had started and our house is only 7 miles away. It seems like they have a revolving door with teachers. My son had two substitute teachers for an extended time. One day he came home and said they had to color a tree in class. A tree??? This is high school! The biggest point is if you are choosing this school because it's more focused and your child wants to study film there is absolutely no chance of that if they haven't been going there since 9th grade and you better register early or your child will be stuck with a bunch of useless classes like agriculture and cooking classes where they only bake things and don't learn other aspects of cooking. The counselors or student advisers should be open and upfront with new parents and students instead of filling seats.

Posted August 25, 2012

The schools campus is so beautiful and i am a student and a freshman the school is so nice , the teachers speak so clearly and are so nice the students are equally nice to and treat new students well , the upperclassmen don't really pay attention to any of the lower class men so there is a little crowd in lunch and you might not know where to sit but all schools are like that , plus there are barley any altercations , you just have to know who to hang out with and there aren't any real "clicks" but there are little groups of friends that hang out with each other daily , but aren't close minded. All in all Spoto High is a GREAT SCHOOL ! just keep your priorities straight :) But the dress code is a bit extreme i mean its Florida why cant we wear tank tops !

Posted September 26, 2011

".....This is by far the worse school ....when they are schedule....Alggebra teachers.....Thank God for military orders. --Submitted by a parent" No, Thank God your children arwen't home schooled.

Posted September 7, 2011

My son has only ben atending Spoto for a few weeks but is loving it. He is taking an AP class as a Freshaman, is in honors classes, ROTC, Swim Team and Wrestling Team. The school is only about half full and the opportunities are great. He was afraid to go at first after all the negative information we had heard, but he jumps out of bed every morning excited about school. The also just opened a Pharmacy tech Magnet School as well as a Film and Fashion Design Magnet School here so there are even more specialized opportunities for the kids. My kid does not see the fights and stuff that others have reported so I guess he knows who to hang out with! The teachers, Principal and Guidance Counselor have all been responsive any time we have had questions or concerns

Posted July 28, 2011

We moved here during the 2009-2010 school year. This past year my children attended Spoto. This is by far the worse school I have ever seen. yes they have a nice Clean building but that is about it. Lucky that my children had a solid foundation in school in North Carolina. The buses dont come when they are schedule. The constant rotation of teachers is Extremly high. When the principle retires in the middle of the school year that states alot. I never know from day to day which teacher my children have. In English they had 3 different teachers, my daughter had 3 different Alggebra teachers. 3 differnt reading teachers. I am a parent that checks Edline at a minimum of 2 to 3 times a day. I ave a email trail of the lack of interest the teachers have. The amount of fights are so scary, that i find myslef texting my children throughout the day or just driving up to the school to make sure they are okay. the kids are setting fires to the bathrooms, fighting during games. had we known then what we know now our children would not be in Spoto. Thank God for military orders.

Posted July 18, 2011

I am not yet able to review Spoto High School, Almost everyone I talk to says my son should NOT go But I am unable to have him go to another school which is preposterus....As I would provide adequate transportaion! What reason could there be for this.. could it possibly be to get more kids from a more affluent background? Or were the FCAT test scores just no up to par?

Posted May 26, 2011

I've been going to Spoto High School from my freshman year all the way to my year (Class of 2011!!) and it's not a bad school. The teachers are great and they will help you with every problem you have. Sure it may irk you or annoy you but that is high school. Also, it's true what they say, it depends on who your child spends their time with. I have great friends and I turned fine and I grew up in poverty. This school isn't bad at all. (side note: For other students attending Spoto, ignore the immature things that happen like planking -_-)

Posted May 16, 2011

i've been attending spoto for my sophmore and junior year and i have to say, its not as bad as i perceived it to be. i thought i wasnt going to survive but im a-okay so far and im not worried for my future. every highschool has its problems with pregnancy, fighting, and drugs; so spoto is no different from any other highschool. it truly just depends on who your child associates with and how they manage their school work and personal life. the staff are great. i've butted heads with a couple of them but it doesnt hinder the fact that they are compassionate about their students. spoto offers a great diversity of students and offer ample opprotunities to be their best. spoto wasn't doing so well for awhile but their changing their bad ways and i see great things to come for this school.

Posted February 21, 2011

My daughter is currently in her sophmore year at Spoto. Basically, I hate this school. From year one she's had none stop bullying. I've talked with the principals but realize that it's only so much they can do being that it's so many occurances. Next year I may just move so that she won't have to attend this school...if you can call it that.

Posted December 12, 2010

I love Spoto. I did all this research before I started going there & I thought it was going to be horrible, turns out I like it more than my old school. It just depends on the type of kids your children hang around if they'll get in trouble. If you don't let people influence you and you stay away from all the bad kids you'll be fine. Also, there WILL be bad kids at every school, there's always at least one. I love the teachers I got :) My 8th grade fcat was like a 2 and I'm getting 5s thanks to my English teacher :)

Posted June 3, 2010

worst school ever and they just keep getting worse. beware of all the school violence

Posted February 9, 2010

i currently attend this school and it is an ok school. people say it is ghetto but it really isn't. i just wish that spoto wasn't so weird with the way they work. other then that they are ok..

Posted May 30, 2009

I attend Spoto High and will graduate in 2011. Personally, I love this school. My peers are all diverse and accepting, the teachers are cordial and involved, and Mr. T is by far an outstanding principal.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

327 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

318 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

326 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

309 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

361 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

295 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

330 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

• MR. PHILLIP CARR
Fax number
  • (813) 672-5423

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now