Crestwood Community Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1045 students

Posted April 8, 2014

We all have different experiences with this school, I have tried to forget some incidents at this school but in my opinion, the district should have more attention in the form of education there, there is a lack of attention and consideration by the directives, the information is unclear, educational assistance is limited, and the options are very confusing. I do not recommend this school to anybody, if you have the opportunity to help your child with other educational options is better to look for an alternative middle school, this school needs much improvement and understand that middle school is a difficult stage and changes, which children and parents need more help in understanding what "seems obvious to everyone" but maybe, does not apply to all cases.

Posted October 20, 2013

We are new to the school this year and after a little bit of a bumpy start I find the teachers and staff to be very approachable and helpful. They have started a program for children with Asperger's syndrome to help them learn the skills that they will need to become successful adults. This is a blessing because it is difficult to have a child who is extremely intelligent but cannot make friends or is so disorganized that it is detrimental to learning. They are helping my child to learn how to read expressions appropriately, how to make friends by learning the skills of two way conversation, how to not hurt others feelings with their blunt but honest thoughts (their brain has no filter). These are all skills that most people learn without thinking about it. I am grateful for any help they can share with us.

Posted August 22, 2013

What a difference a year makes. Crestwood has gone from an A school for over 10 years, now to a B, and in reality it is a C. It's only been a week since school started, but my child hasn't had one night of homework, compared to last year when all the good teachers (who have now left or retired) bombarded him with homework - which I consider a good thing. Thankfully we are moving out of the area so my 2 smaller children will not have to attend this school.

Posted August 21, 2013

My child attends Crestwood and I have experienced good and bad within the school. Some Teachers like Ms La Flocke, Ms Jerado,, Mrs Finean, Ms Tanebaum are just wonderful and very caring towards their students. My Child had a good 7th grade year. Although one of her Teachers seem to preach more than teach. Her 6th year was very upsetting to her because she was blamed for something she did not do. I honestly felt it was a race issue and my child is white. It was unfair what happened to her especially when the person who did cause the problem took responsibility and was not given the punishment my child received. I felt like I had no rights and neither did my child. I have learned a very good lesson from this situation. My child has gone through all of her classes with Teachers commending her on her manners and behavior. Except for this one Teacher who made her afraid to go to school thinking she would be blamed again for something she did not do.. This Teacher will have to live with that! Otherwise, Crestwood is a good school and my child is learning. The big problem is some of the students behavior in class. They distract teaching and the class.

Posted September 3, 2012

I am a mother with two children attending Crestwood Middle School. My son is an 8th grader and in his third year at Crestwood, He has thrived in all areas, particularly academically as an honor student. My daughter just began her 6th grade year and is thrilled to be attending Crestwood with her brother. She already loves school and is off to a great start in all of her classes as well. Crestwood has a great Principal/leader in Dr. Nance, excellent teachers and staff for both of my children, and wonderful community involvement and support.. I am both proud and pleased that my children are receiving such a top-notch education from Crestwood We feel fortunate as a family that my children are attending this school.

Posted August 31, 2012

Mr.Gorman was the nicest and greatest 8 th grade math teacher ever!'he actually teaches u the material so that it is implanted in ur brain, not literally!and he is very funny and he treats u like family!hey mr.Gorman this is sydney rallo from 1st hour in 2011-2012

Posted August 26, 2012

My daughter attended this school from 2002-2005 and it was horrible. Kids would be sitting on cars, making out . . . Just 8 years later and it has been a complete turn-around - for the better! My son now attends and is in AP/Honors classes. He LOVES his teachers, has maintained honor roll even though he didn't come from a gifted school, and we couldn't be happier! They are implementing FLVS classes, have a new building in the back, eliminating the portables, and Dr. Nance is doing a great job putting the children first. We were offered another middle school for our son and are so glad that he chose to remain with his friends and go to Crestwood. It truly deserves its A rating.

Posted June 1, 2012

The administration at this school has demonstrated regardless of any mouth piece they have in place to say otherwise, that the entire program here is all smoke and mirrors. It is astounding to me the there is derogatory comments about Mr. Towne right on this site yet he continues to work there, now under going anger management for behavior at the school. This school is not honest with the community, my child attended when there were cameras in the girls bathroom. The cameras did move and have a power source yet the principal said they were not working cameras. When parents wanted to see, touch and examine the cameras they were escorted off the property and threatened with trespassing. The administration here has been know to call parents and reprimand them how how they will or will not speak to staff members yet all kinds of offensives against the students too numerous to count happen daily. Ms. Nance should not be employeed at a school. It seems she is more of a teacher advocate then a student advocate, not what anyone in PBC wants for students! Get out already!

Posted May 31, 2012

Im a seventh grader in crestwood and im not sure i like it. I'm treated differently because im extremely small and i get bullied all the time and the teachers around me dont do anything about it! the classes are somewhat hard, somewhat easy, saying that im in all gifte. the only thing i highly disapprove of is the lunch seating. i understand the idea the principal was thinking to make it an organized way out, but i know no one at my table so i'm very lonely. kids also pick on me the most there, and throw juice cartons and emty things at me. all in all, it's a great school academically, but some students here are downright rude and need some consequences;

Posted January 23, 2012

I'm an educator here at Crestwood and have been for the past 11 years. We have a family here that cares about kids and wants them to do well. The problems I have with education come from the county and state level, not our principal. I'm impressed enough with our teachers, my own children come here rather than attending the middle school by our house. For the negative reviews, I would say to consider the source. People are very willing to complain, but not to compliment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 9, 2011

I thought of relocating but this school among others in palm beach have everything so private I can not see if this is a good school or what it looks like and edline is to private how is anyone supposed to see where to place there children. Only if you are living there, but not fare to those having to relocate for work. I don't know where to place my kids!

Posted July 28, 2011

My daughter has gone here one year. Teachers were always available to talk to and she was happy. I have never had a serious issue. A couple of time grades were reported wrong on Edline. I e-mailed the teacher, my daughter showed the teacher her paper and the grade was changed. So, I would recommend to keep up with your chlid's grades on Edline. Each teacher has over 130 kids, so mistakes can be made, teachers are only human. Crestwood was again an A, so the previous person did not get it right.

Posted July 14, 2011

I was a 6th grader here and it was horrible. i was on the trailblazer team and some of my teachers were HORRIBLE ! Mrs.Baker was really nice but sometimes raised her voice but only when kids were being disrespectful.Mr Inzerillo was nice but he reitired and we got Mr Thornton the WORST TEACHER EVER! I had and A in history but since Mr.Thornton came i had a D ! People would make fun of me right near him and he would say NOTHING . Mr.Jenness I think is kind of bipolar sometimes he's fun and cool but other times he's a jerk! Ms. Romero was nice but kinda strict and sassy. Mrs. Ward was really nice though. Anyways i wouldnt recommend Crestwod to many students because the bullying rate is high and some of the teachers are just jerks. and the food is DISGUSTINGG ! the taco meat iis tan and looks like it could make a person sick so i wouldnt reccommend toeat it.

Posted June 16, 2011

I feel this school is terrible. My child has been bullied several times involved in altercations starting in the classroom where are the teachers they don"t seem to care. Then resulting in altercations outside where are the teachers, and staff. This school is discusting and very dissapointing. Iagree they are rude and liars that want to seem as if thier school is A rated wonderful, but for the children that go there it is not safe and not a good leaning expierance. I wish for my child to go somewhere else anywhere but crestwood, WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE!!!

Posted April 4, 2011

I have to agree with the last two posts, Crestwood was a A school for a very long time. My oldest daughter went there is 2003 to 2006, and I could not say enough good things about it at that time. I now have my last child in this school, this has been the worst year for her, the teachers don't care about the students. The students pay the price for bad teachers. Mrs Bakers, Mr Jenns, Who I beileve are the Trailblasers team, are the worst. I now also heard that they are busing kids in from Belle Glade. Good bye to the A school, I think they are now a B, but I only see it going down from there. I really wish I could change my daughters school, we are now thinking about homeschooling her. Just to get her out of that school.

Posted March 28, 2011

Very poor school. The teachers and staff are liers, all about the money they get from the goverment, they dont care about the children.

Posted March 8, 2011

okay , well to start with all the kids and teachers call it "cwood" all the kids think they are ghetto . the teachers are rude i was there for 6th and half of 7th , this school is very herific . the girls are very rude and they start drama because of jelousy , most of the boys try to get in troble because it makes them cooler to everyone around them and the staff isnt good ethier . DO NOT GO TO CREST WOOD MIDDLE!

Posted October 10, 2010

The teachers are wonderful!!! Really care about the students!!!

Posted October 9, 2010

We have teachers that want to help kids be better than they think that they can be!! We have been an A rated school in Palm Beach County for 10 years which puts on the bottom for upgrades in buildings, supplies, and technology. If we were an F school we would have already had a new building and AC system that today rarely works. We have limited and old computers even though the county says that they are encouraging us to ready the students for the 21st century. We are over-comers and continue to find success on standardized testing even amongst any trial or tribulation that may come our way!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 18, 2010

Bad and troubled kids are being bused in from Belle Glade and other areas, this is not why I moved here... Some teachers are great and some not. If your kid is in advanced classes, the students and teachers are better. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

341 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

342 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

346 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

346 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

361 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

363 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

361 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

359 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

401 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

146 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 20%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music