H. L. Johnson Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 910 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 20, 2013

HL Johnson Elem. my girls attended here (ages 26 and 22 now) and my son age 10 is attending now(5th gr). has always been an excellent school. Teachers we have had in the past 20 yrs there are very caring and hard working to make sure a child is recieving the best education they can give. thanks HLJ , this will be our last year at this school.

Posted October 19, 2013

I started at HLJ in second grade. I switched because it had the gifted program, and my other elementary school did not. I graduated from HLJ and went to Bak MSOA for middle school. I found out about it through HLJ. I am now in 10th grade, and attend Dreyfoos School of the Arts. Some of my best memories are within HLJ's halls. I would not be where I am now without going here.

Posted August 21, 2013

I love this school!! I went here when I was a child from kindergarten to 5th grade & it was great! I am now a mommy of 2 & my 5 year old daughter started kindergarten today just like I did 24 years ago & it is still GREAT! Everyone there is so friendly and helpful; & you can tell that they truly care about the children. My daughter came home from her first day today ecstatic! I think that I was more nervous than her!! I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to put there kids in a private school, but just can't afford it right now, like me. It is just as good & ALOT less expensive! :)

Posted April 2, 2012

i love the school. everyone is so nice. They help the kids, and i always can reach my sons teacher for any questions concerns etc

Posted August 22, 2011

We are new to H.L.Johnson, but, all comments about this school are the best. so i'm so happy with my son here.

Posted July 15, 2011

We are new to HL Johnson. I must say after Visiting several Public schools in our area, I had just about decided to go Private. I saw lots of negative. Lots of teachers with a less than child friendly attitude, and one princapal who was entirely off mark when she made a very unprofessional remark to me about how they deal with children, and what they do and don't have time for.... I met a Quality person at that same school "Marianne Marooney". She was very happy to talk with us, very patient, spent some time understanding what our needs were, and was in NO HURRY to get rid of us. After meeting with us she recommended we Visit H.L Johnson. I frist emailed the school to get information. I am pleased to say that I recieved a phone call the next day from the Principal "Mrs Hench". Not only did she call me, but called me on her day off. She took my sons files, read them, got to know us and what his needs where and had him enrolled in 24 hours. She has a warm and carring personailty which is exactly what I look for in anyone dealing with my son. I would recomend this school and Mrs. Hench to anyone.

Posted February 2, 2011

We were concerned when we switched our student from a small private school to the gifted program at HLJ but our concerns quickly vanished. The teachers in the program are top notch and pay attention to the students not only academically but socially as well and intervene right away when they need to. If the need for special accommodations for injuries arise, they are quick to act and assign someone to help the student move throughout the school while recovering. This is a large school with high parent involvement and an excellent staff. This is our second year at HLJ.

Posted December 9, 2010

I was very impressed when I read thru all of the parent ratings for this school that we decided to put our child in this school. Unfortunately experience has not been what we expected. When our child started school this year we were told he was below his grade level. What happened the year before? Did the teachers just ignore this or does each teacher have a different opinion. This year our teacher is also very difficult to get thru. She does though communicate very well if she has something negative to say about our child. I am very dissapointed with this school.

Posted October 28, 2010

Gifted program is superior and my son has advanced so much in the few years that he's been there. Parent participation is high and the teachers are informative and communicative.

Posted August 31, 2010

how can you rete a school when your kid(s) have not go through every teacher, all schools have their differences in teachers and learning styles etc..., what can one say about the parents with bad experiences? my child just started his first year at HL J. which every morning he want to go to school but wants to change class already. what would you say to a 5 year old that tells you " do you think my teacher like me?"

Posted May 13, 2010

They keep children interested in learning with creative modalities. If we inspire to learn now they will continue to be inspired.

Posted April 20, 2010

We have had a great experience with this school, the teachers are very helpfull. They really encouraged and push my son to reach his full potencial, especially in reading, in wich the teacher set monthly goals for them to reach and he had received encouragment and awards for good results.

Posted April 14, 2010

It is a wonderful neighborhood school. My granddaughter goes there and does exceedingly well - she is an A student. She likes her school and her teachers.

Posted August 21, 2009

Not good with watching the children very well.

Posted June 15, 2009

We are going into our last year at HLJ in the fall and could not have asked for a better school! Keep up the great work!

Posted September 16, 2008

My daughter attends here and she says she loves her teacher(Ms. Foster). No complaints

Posted August 28, 2008

Both my son and daughter attended HLJ in the gifted program from Kindergarten through 5th grade. The teachers were very dedicated, enthusiastic, experienced, and highly qualified. Mrs Hench, the principal is excellent.

Posted May 21, 2008

Mrs Hench has a problem with accepting responsibility for her teachers. We informed the teacher at the beginning of the school year that our child was having difficulty w/ reading, and that we were ready to assist in any way she thought helpful. We regularly requested meetings and communication to discuss our childs progress only to be told everytime that everything was fine and there was progress. Then suddenly mid February we are told 'that progressing to the next grade would not be possible'. We since have been using a tutor at great expense in the hope of salvaging the year knowing that if the teacher would have spoken with us as we had requested we could have been providing extra help for our child since the start of the year and clearly progressing with the other class mates. Now our child will pay for that lack of communication.

Posted December 21, 2006

I am a parent of 4 children who have and are attending hlj. Sharonhench is a caring devoted sincere, honest and a very dedicated principal and mentor to all kids. Donna eldrige has a big heart , shes all the above and a wonderful asst pricipal.The school is a great school with great teachers and a great staff. The school is serious about academics and making the children feel good about coming every day to learn and share. We have been to another school in palm beach county many yrs ag and its was unruly, not safe. And a terrible learning experience for my older 2. Hlj is an a school with a plus plus plus faculty, we love the school

Posted December 1, 2006

Absolute awesome staff whose goal of producing well-rounded students shine through and through. I am very honored and blessed to have my son attend.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

168 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 6% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1000 Crestwood Blvd N