H. L. Johnson Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2014
If you had asked me 2 yrs ago I would have said 5 star hands down. We got a new principal last year and the overall family-like feel to the school has been dissipating. My kids are in the gifted program and I still feel the gifted teachers are awesome butmoral is at a low, parking is atrocious and if you don't get there early plan on 30 minutes in the drop off line. This principal would rather write 100 kids (literally) tardy slips than hold the bell with bad weather. She says it is because teaching time is precious but holding a gate 5 minutes wastes far less teaching time than the kids waiting for 2 people to write 100 tardy slips! I think it is a power play. She IS NOT parent friendly. The vice principal is worse. Last year I tried to have a conversation with her about the parking situation and she actually said "well I guess the teachers could stay home!" Are you kidding me? I am an educated parents and business owner, what kind of response to a valid question is that? I cannot speak for the level of teachers in the non-gifted program but I have heard that they are good. We are going to enter this school year with an open mind and hope that it is better than last.

H. L. Johnson Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2014
My son will be going into first grade in a few days. I had extremely high hopes after reading reviews for the school but I wasn't overall pleased with the school his kindergarten year. I don't like that there aren't honor roll assemblies, the awards come home in a folder with the report card and I feel positive recognition is so important to children. At first we were allowed to pick up kindergarteners and first graders at their door as well as drop them off, mid way through that changed and we had to leave them at the gate. These kids are still very little, they claimed it was for safety but it seemed more and more like they don't want parents on campus. Events that they do have aren't extremely well planned. If I had not been able to drop my child off at his door at the start of the year I would not have known his teacher if I passed her at a store. Parking is absolutely miserable and the car loop extremely slow. Something has to be done. I heard such great things about the principle that was there until the start of last school year so that might be the reason for the lackluster experience. I hope this year is better.

Posted October 20, 2013
HL Johnson Elem. my girls attended here (ages 26 and 22 now) and my son age 10 is attending now(5th gr). has always been an excellent school. Teachers we have had in the past 20 yrs there are very caring and hard working to make sure a child is recieving the best education they can give. thanks HLJ , this will be our last year at this school.

Posted October 19, 2013
I started at HLJ in second grade. I switched because it had the gifted program, and my other elementary school did not. I graduated from HLJ and went to Bak MSOA for middle school. I found out about it through HLJ. I am now in 10th grade, and attend Dreyfoos School of the Arts. Some of my best memories are within HLJ's halls. I would not be where I am now without going here.

Posted August 21, 2013
I love this school!! I went here when I was a child from kindergarten to 5th grade & it was great! I am now a mommy of 2 & my 5 year old daughter started kindergarten today just like I did 24 years ago & it is still GREAT! Everyone there is so friendly and helpful; & you can tell that they truly care about the children. My daughter came home from her first day today ecstatic! I think that I was more nervous than her!! I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to put there kids in a private school, but just can't afford it right now, like me. It is just as good & ALOT less expensive! :)

Posted April 02, 2012
i love the school. everyone is so nice. They help the kids, and i always can reach my sons teacher for any questions concerns etc

Posted August 22, 2011
We are new to H.L.Johnson, but, all comments about this school are the best. so i'm so happy with my son here.

Posted July 15, 2011
We are new to HL Johnson. I must say after Visiting several Public schools in our area, I had just about decided to go Private. I saw lots of negative. Lots of teachers with a less than child friendly attitude, and one princapal who was entirely off mark when she made a very unprofessional remark to me about how they deal with children, and what they do and don't have time for.... I met a Quality person at that same school "Marianne Marooney". She was very happy to talk with us, very patient, spent some time understanding what our needs were, and was in NO HURRY to get rid of us. After meeting with us she recommended we Visit H.L Johnson. I frist emailed the school to get information. I am pleased to say that I recieved a phone call the next day from the Principal "Mrs Hench". Not only did she call me, but called me on her day off. She took my sons files, read them, got to know us and what his needs where and had him enrolled in 24 hours. She has a warm and carring personailty which is exactly what I look for in anyone dealing with my son. I would recomend this school and Mrs. Hench to anyone.

Posted February 02, 2011
We were concerned when we switched our student from a small private school to the gifted program at HLJ but our concerns quickly vanished. The teachers in the program are top notch and pay attention to the students not only academically but socially as well and intervene right away when they need to. If the need for special accommodations for injuries arise, they are quick to act and assign someone to help the student move throughout the school while recovering. This is a large school with high parent involvement and an excellent staff. This is our second year at HLJ.

H. L. Johnson Elementary School 2

Posted December 09, 2010
I was very impressed when I read thru all of the parent ratings for this school that we decided to put our child in this school. Unfortunately experience has not been what we expected. When our child started school this year we were told he was below his grade level. What happened the year before? Did the teachers just ignore this or does each teacher have a different opinion. This year our teacher is also very difficult to get thru. She does though communicate very well if she has something negative to say about our child. I am very dissapointed with this school.

H. L. Johnson Elementary School
1000 Crestwood Boulevard North, Royal Palm Beach, FL  33411
Last modified H. L. Johnson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
H. L. Johnson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews.