1,474 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Disagree

No, but I don't see how this would be possible for them anyway, especially with this group of children.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Not all of them are bad, but you can't only know half of what your supposed to know when it really matters later. (High School, College, Careers)

Amount of homework: no rating

It really depends on your classes, but it's not too bad for the most part.

A lot of the staff run things poorly. I didn't get my schedule until the actual first day of school. When I did, it had mistakes and I had to have it changed multiple times. Teachers were getting suspended, fired, and quitting all the time, too, which really disrupts our learning. Many teachers don't do a great job, either. A certain teacher wouldn't let anyone finish a 50 question test, when most of the class didn't even get half of it done. We had only one 50-minute period to take the test. This was an advanced honors class, too, and was for high school credit. Bottom line is, this school deserves its 3/10 rating. If you have another option, you might want to take it.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

No. Not at all. They don't even dish out proper punishments. They're to busy giving dress code to girls with showing bra straps.

My step-kids go to this school. It is widely known for bullying, fights, and drugs (yes drugs). They are always coming home telling us stories of how kids are getting caught smoking pot in the bathrooms. The staff doesn't do anything to enforce rules. Not too happy with this school at all.

I'm new in the area, my daughter is a Hillsborough County Virtual School student. She has to do all her testing at Beth Shields Middle School. Since we moved here, I have left message for three weeks to speak to the principle, the Special Education teacher. Mrs. Walters the Special Ed teacher said she would call me back with information, that was two weeks ago. I can't get anyone from that school to return a call since that one communication. I'm starting to understand why this school has such a low rating.

Beth Shields Middle School in Ruskin Fl, THis is my Son Ian 3rd year at Shields. The teachers are very involve with all the academic and all the activities to help the students to excel in all area of studies. I also love their interactions with all the parents. It help me as aparent to know that my child is treated more as a student and not just a child. Thay are very involved with students and the parents that is quite important to me. I love Shields Middle School for my Child and I recommend that school for anyone who wants to send their Child to that particular School.

I went to this school for about a year and a half, the first week I went, the first fight I had, I'm not a fighter kid but there's a lot of stupid gangs, kids get bullied when they're new, I say because I was but I didn't give them the chance, the food is awful, my writing was so bad, I learned more when I got to Lennard High School, in my opinion that school is so crowded and they don't know how have control of the kids.

I noticed the student giving this school a five star rating - posted June 10, 2012 does not have one capitalization, period, comma, etc. I'd say that is a real great school - In my humble opinion it is the worst school I have ever seen. My children are adults now and my grandchildren have been students at this miserable school. What a shame that they are turning out students without and regards for the English written word.

Last modified Shields Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.