Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Our child attends SAPMS. We love it. The school is a great group of people who really care about the children and their learning environment. My child loves going to school. That says it all.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is no homework in a Montessori School. Our family loves that our homework is go to the park, or library. Read books or spend time in nature. Its great! No battles at home over school work.

Amount of homework: no rating

Assigning homework goes against Montessori principles. This school does assign occasional, sporadic homework, but not regularly. I don't think it has much impact on learning.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My child seems to be completely lost in the shuffle. Between the high teacher turnover, lack of personal attention, and disorder in the classroom, I'm unsure how this school could be helping my child to develop any particular values.

This school advertises itself as a Montessori school, but it has no Montessori certification, many of the teachers are not trained in Montessori methods, and the classroom lessons do not follow Montessori guidelines. As far as I can tell, the only Montessori aspect of this school is the physical classroom - it looks like a Montessori classroom, with most of the materials. My child's classroom is on its third teacher, this year. My son has complained of previous teachers yelling at the class, and blaming the children for the poor learning environment. At a parent visitation, my child showed me tiny black specks on the snack table. Apparently, children were speculating that this came from some sort of bugs, but the teacher wouldn't comment. I was also surprised when my child casually mentioned "second recess," the other day. Apparently, the teacher has decided to add an extra play period without notifying parents. My child had previously spent two years at an accredited Montessori school, so we knew what we were missing. This school is nothing like that. Students do not choose their own lessons. Classroom lessons have more to do with memorization than any deep understanding of the material. I have found no evidence of lessons in practical life skills. As far as I can tell, my child hasn't learned anything this year. Yet I am constantly being asked for money, materials, and volunteer hours. Calls made to the office often remain unanswered for weeks. The administrative assistant seems professional, but good luck getting any response from the director. I would remove my child immediately, but I don't want to damage the friendships that have been made with other children. But I can't wait for the school year to end. The people at this school should be ashamed. There is nothing Montessori about this school, except for appearances.

Last modified St. Augustine Public Montessori School (Sapms) is a Charter school that serves grades 1-6