777 students|St. Johns

Bad
Good

Avoid this school if you value your children's education. I have had multiple meetings with the teachers and school administrators and even basic questions on lesson planning could not be answered. Teachers could not even tell me where their lesson plans come from. School books for students to take home and review are not available. Block teaching as they call it consist of a subject such as science for two weeks and then a different subject for two weeks then they rotate again with no continuity for the children. These blocks are graded and if a student fails a section they have limited opportunity to improve their grade. Common core curriculum is horrific and has created a failed generation of children. Common core math takes the simple tasks of division and multiplication and dumbs our children down by not requiring them to work in any multiples greater than ten and creates additional steps which greatly increase the probability of errors. Even basic concepts of common denominators in fractions are not taught. "Cheat" methods like the "butterfly" are instructed so children pass tests without actually understanding concepts. Pay for a private school or homeschool or move!

I absolutely love Mr. Willets and Crookshank. My daughter started kindergarten there this past year and I was nervous as most parents are. By the first week I was at ease and my daughter had no problems, in fact she was eager to go to school every morning. Her teacher has been wonderful and I'm always informed with the week's curriculum and there is also plenty opportunity for parent and family involvement!

I was hysterical when I moved into our home in Saint Augustine only to find out that we had just been rezoned to Crookshank. However, after long talks with the Principal, he asssured me that my children were going to be very safe in his school and would get top notch education. He spoke the truth!! We absolutely LOVE Crookshank. My now 5th grade children have had the most wonderful teachers. They are reading a extremly high levels and their instruction in arts and sciences is superb. Further, the school has a lot of activities for the children and their familes. Even with very humble funding, the school has a huge support group of volunteers give the children opportunities to perform in arts, read books, play music, sing, perform in sports, have annual celebrations and much much more. I would not heistate for one second to recommend this school to anyone and I would pick this chool over any private elementary school in the area. This, coming from a parent who sets very high expectations for my children's educations.

Five years ago I went off the first rating on this site and I was extremely nervous. Having just moved to Saint John's County I didn't know what to expect. I can honestly say this school is highly underrated. The teachers are very passionate and the administrative staff is very caring. The school has an amazing drama production that they put on every year. This year they showcased Annie, and students from the district were bussed in to watch the performance. In addition, there s also puppetry and First Tee (golf). There is a great deal of support from families and the community. Every quarter the school host a breakfast awards ceremony for a/b and straight A honor roll. Lastly, Crookshank is a Stephen Covey model school. I really liked how they integrated his 7 habits into the curriculum. My first grader understood what being proactive meant in terms of her assignments and time management. She would refer to her ability to synergize (habit#6) with her classmates and solve problems. It s truly a gem of a school.

I volunteer at this school in the art room, and the kids are great. The school itself is secure and the students learn.

This school is much better than the grades indicate. The school has very caring teachers and staff.

I found this school to be too involved with 'we have to get all this done' to be involved with the proper care and guidence of my grandchild.

Last modified Crookshank Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.