1,368 students|St. Johns

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

My children have attended LPA since Kindergarten. I have seen them be questioned, challenged, hugged, disciplined, cheered on, featured, pushed, and put into their place. A school is no more defined by the principal than a city mayor dictates your household routine. Quit evaluating LPA on anything other than what matters - the children's daily experience and learning. I thank LPA teachers for their solid character-building and high academic expectations. If you expect anything different from a top-rated school in the #1 county in Florida, you should try elsewhere.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

My son comes home crying at least once a week because someone in the classroom is bullying him. I asked the teacher about it and her reply was, "Hmm. I haven't noticed anything."

Effective school leaders: Disagree

It is an authoritarian regime. Never question leadership.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This is an "AVID" school. There is no compassion or respect. Their student motto is "That's why I am here to dominate, to conquer!" Yes. It is grammatically incorrect too, but that's their motto!! Enough said.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The elementary (K-3) teachers seem to be more effective. Past that, they are like robots, shoving common core curriculum down students' throats with no regard for individualism.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Their literature states homework should only take 10 minutes per grade level. For example, a 3rd grader should only have 30 minutes of homework per night. All of my children have well over twice that amount. It's absolutely absurd.

I have a teaching degree with Magna Cum Laude honors, and I am a former teacher. My husband is military, and we've moved around quite a bit. This is the 7th school with which we have been associated. I can honestly say that, BY FAR, this is the worst school our children have ever attended. It is indeed a very sterile place. Children are not important, only test scores. Communication is very weak. Assignments are vague. Students are only right when they agree with what their teachers think. When my child receives an assignment at the end of a quarter to write an essay summarizing everything they've learned, and my child works hours completing it, only for it to be glanced at and given a 100 because it was a participatory grade which counted as a summative (BIG) grade to pull up poor class averages, you know there's a problem. The school has a test retake policy which insures students will get at least a 70. With that policy, no student fails, so, consequently, scores are higher, but extremely misleading. I have three children here, and they are SMART. But now they HATE school, and they are ready to be finished!! Homework takes several hours every single night. Extracurricular activities have been dropped, because there's simply no time for them. IT IS A VERY TOXIC ENVIRONMENT. Run away as fast as you can!!!

My student attended LPA for 3 years and this school is the most sterile, unfriendly environment imaginable for young kids. The focus is on the older grades, as test scores rule all. The principal has a established a no fun zone and cast an atmosphere to which few teachers respect her leadership. My face to face interactions with the principal was the final straw and we have since moved to a different nearby elementary school. My student's fear of one of her teachers was met with the response, "well, she produces good test scores." Nope, sorry not what I want my child to be defined by... test scores. Our current K-5 school has been such a welcome change. It is what an elementary school should be, enriching and fun. They are being challenged to think outside the test bubble and are building character. Focus is on the kids developing a love of learning and not on the length of their shirt sleeve or shorts. Or calling the class party 'centers' or a field trip a 'field study.' It is really hard to believe we are in the same district. To LPA I say, get over yourself and your test scores and get back to the fundamentals.

My children have the unique distinction of having attended both Liberty Pines Academy and nearby Patriot Oaks Academy, due to a move from the Country Club neighborhood to a new development near PO two years ago. I can assure you there is a huge difference in how the schools are run and the overall atmosphere. Although I believe the principals at Liberty Pines and Patriot Oaks both micro-manage, Liberty Pines was by far a more negative experience for our family. I agree with many of the reviews before me that LPA is a toxic environment that breeds competition and pettiness. It's all about the numbers with LPA and obtaining high district scores in state testings and assessments. There are definitely great teachers at LPA, but they're continually driven out by a negative principal and a PDO filled with parents who seem to require more attention than their children. I wish I could give it a better review, but I feel as if I need to be honest to protect those moving into our area. Our time at Patriot Oaks has been a very positive experience filled with superior teachers and a caring environment. We're so happy to have moved out of the Liberty Pines Academy school zone and my children are now thriving because of it! Liberty Pines Academy and Patriot Oaks may be right down the street from one another, but they are worlds apart in supplying a loving and caring environment. If you want your kids to be in a warm nurturing environment without all the drama, avoid Liberty Pines at all costs!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is no "fairness," only favoritism on the part of the principal and approximately half the staff. Hard to instill honesty and integrity into your children, when a good share of the LPA staff has none. I feel terribly sorry for the teachers who do a fabulous job, and there are many. Wish they were the majority, instead of the minority. We clung on to the good teachers during my children's six years there. But, as in any toxic environment, the bad teachers (and principal) have a way of over shadowing all the good done at LPA!

Last modified Liberty Pines Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.