Saint Johns, FL
Students enrolled: 1,268

Posted December 22, 2014
I have an 8th grader at this school who used to love Swiss point in his 6th grade year when the English guy was there. Apparently when he left so did any fun they had there.

Posted May 08, 2014
This school used to be the gifted cluster site, and still claims to be though they have absolutely no gifted education whatsoever. As per another parent's post, teachers no longer teach, but only hand out test packets and tests, and students are expected to teach themselves, and prepare themselves for the daily tests that comprise their grades entirely. It's a punitive environment for children, and not conducive to learning or the love of learning. It's difficult to discern which are school, district, state or Federal policies, but the end result is children suffer, and their education is destroyed.

Posted April 09, 2014
Before 2009 when my older child was a student here, the school had a different principal and most of the teachers were awesome. Under the current principal, the quality of the school has really gone down and many of the really good teachers have left the school. The quality of education is really bad now and there is no parent involvement.

Switzerland Point Middle School 5

Posted November 04, 2012
Switzerland Point Middle School is an excellent school. We have 14 years experience with three youth who have attended. Our two oldest were well prepared for their high school experience. Our youngest is enjoying his middle school years and is growing academically. The teachers and leadership are excellent and dedicated to student progress and learning. We continued to be very impressed with St. John's County Schools. I know some folks had issues with academic changes in the system but our 14 years have seen continued improvement in an already excellent system. I am sure the school will continue to progress and develop. Some programs like the band program are well supported by parents even though the county has cut funding. All in all the school is one of the best. Education in general needs to continually evolve to promote individual growth.

Posted September 15, 2012
I really strongly do not like this school. The teachers here do not know how to teach at all!!!!! I am failing my classes because they don't teach the academics they have us copy their lesson plans basicly and figure it out from there. This is my first year (8th grade) here and I wish I was back at my old school. And if I had a kid, I no offense wouldn't send them to this school. I'm not happy with the school, needs better teachers that connect with their students and teach right .

Posted September 15, 2012
I am a parent and would agree with the post by the 8th grade student. Most of the teachers do not teach at all. They give the children learning goals and ask them to teach themselves. Their homework looks as if it comes right out of a teachers lesson plans. Very strange, the students are lost and have no idea how to approach this type of work. Once you are in an advanced class..... good luck moving to anything else! And even the principal will not aid in moving a child out of this. Especially, 8th grade advanced science ....no moving out of that! Teachers need to go back to the basics and TEACH these children not expect them to teach themselves!! I am not happy with teachers or teaching style at all!!!!!! very unimpressive.

Posted September 07, 2012
Almost the same as the 2nd newest review, I thought this school was good first but once I came, I saw how bad the education is.

Posted July 14, 2012
My son started in this school under one principle and the environment was excellent. The teachers would communicate with the parents and the parents were welcome always. By the time he left in 8th grade he has under a different principle the school felt like a jail they never wanted parents in to see what was going on and the education dropped like a brick. He was in the gifted/pre-ap program which was very hard to get into. Now they will let anybody into it and it is not even hard. Would never send the rest of my children to this school under this leadership.

Switzerland Point Middle School 2

Posted May 21, 2011
Very limited academic programs: This once had a gifted program until 2009, when the gifted program was eliminated in favor of an FCAT general ed program that no longer serves the gifted student needs, and no longer allows for acceleration, creativity or flexible teaching. General Ed advanced placement is the only offering, and it is watered down to focus on rote grade level mastery. FCAT now rules, which is very sad. It was a wonderful district, very child-centered, and families moved here for the gifted program and the excellent academics, until the steep decline that began with dismantling the gifted program and quickly plummeted in 2009. Some teachers are good, some are not, but if you have a gifted child, this school is a shell of its former glory, as is this district. The principal believes gifted children should be "mainstreamed" to "raise the bar" for "high achievers" even though that's contrary to research for both segments. All is focused on rote learning for standard grade level tests and school scores. It's the age of the FCAT standard ed "achiever." If you're looking for strong academics, this school/ district is now focused on rote minimum grade level academics.

Switzerland Point Middle School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
Awesome teachers, students, and continues to have a motivating learning environment!

Switzerland Point Middle School
777 Greenbriar Road, Saint Johns, FL  32259
Last modified Switzerland Point Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Switzerland Point Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top