93 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

Our daughter attended the school from kindergarten through second grade. She enjoyed it the first year and really came into her own. It started changing by first grade. So many things to list. Teachers always left after one year. Two grades were always combined instead of having an instructor focus on two smaller classes. The principal was aware of bullying occurring at the school and looked the other way. Parental involvement in the classroom wasn't allowed and teachers never communicated with parents. My daughter has been in her zoned school since third grade and is doing great. We are so glad we left.

For me the children are most important. Therefore, dedicated, loving and caring teachers, like the ones that are working at this school, are of great value to me. An Adlerian school is not for everyone, I researched other programs and like this one very much.

Warning: Do not send your kids to this school. No student accountability. No parent contact allowed from teachers. No grades. Classrooms can get wild with no intervention from the one administrator... Don't judge a book by its cover, open it!!

My son loves this school. Every morning he is super excited to go to school also when there is no school he is so sad. I think it's a awesome school.

We had to take our son to a different school this year as we did not see an advantage to this school and the way it was being ran. I do agree with the posts about the high turn over rate as well.

I was running PE for Alfred Adler back in 2011 before I enlisted in the marines. Durring my time at the school, and growing up in the community volunteering for AA I have had nothing but a great experience. I never wanted to be a teacher or work at a school , but physical fitness is a big part of my life and the children/staff of AA were so appreciative of what I was doing and everyone had so much positive energy I was automatically drawn to the school. I am not an expert on education by any means but reading some of these comments I can't help but be sad at some of the hurtful, and untrue comments that were made. I could go on for pages on wy this is a good school, but instead I will just say that what I saw was only joy and happiness and teamwork. Instead of reading comments from disgruntled teachers and parents that were not a good fit I would just check it out for myself. This school is very unique you will either love it or hate it .

I had seen red flags from time to time, the biggest one is the fact there teachers keep walking out on the kids. For 2 yrs in a row the same group had there teacher quit on them, and instead of the school finding a new teacher they force the PE, Art or after care person to dual lead the class. We need actual teachers with the education to teach each grade, not just throw who ever is left over at the class. There hindering our kids education and don't care. There must be a reason why they cant keep a teacher there more then a few months. Its also mandatory kids in after care HAVE to leave school grounds on there bus, but dont return till 4:50 so if you want to pick up your child at 4 tough luck, not there and you cant pick them up. When brought to the attention of the principle his response was "oh well" it is what it is, either have to wait for your child to return or you cant put them in the after care at all. I did not consent for my child to leave the school grounds but they do not care what the parent wants or what the children need. Did any one look up there testing grades? a D 2 years in a row along with NA scores the years prior. social sites they rate a 3 out of 10 at best

We had a terrible experience with this school. We should have seen the writing on the wall when we were called in for a conference on the 3rd day of KINDERGARTEN!! We were told that our son was having a difficult time adjusting. YA THINK?? He's 5 years old, in his first week of kindergarten. (In the three years of pre-school prior to enrolling at AA he had no issues whatsoever, and was very well-liked by his teachers and classmates.) Midway through the first semester I learned from my son that he was being sent out of the classroom almost daily I asked the director what we could do at home and was told that home and school are different and he had no suggestions. At the mid-year parent/teacher conference everything we learned about our son's experience at school demonstrated no hint of a problem whatsoever. We heard nothing from the school after this until the director called my wife one day and asked that we keep our son at home for the next two days because they were having behavior problems with him, and they were concerned for his safety. There was no mention of a remediation plan, just keep him at home. We withdrew our son from AA that day and have not looked back.

I think there are pros and cons with the school. I agree with another poster that the turnover rate is high. They go through good teacher after good teacher pretty fast. The school gets a lot of "problem" kids, but the teachers do a good job of handling them. I like a lot of the Adlerian beliefs, but I don't think the administration always follows them. Instead of working with parents and students to talk about a problem, they try to fix it by ignoring you or trying to get rid of you if you don't fit in with what they want at the school. For a school that is supposed to be about how you can contribute to the community, it does not let parents contribute to the school that much. Volunteering in the classroom is pretty much discouraged. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros, and I have decided to enroll my child in a more traditional school for next year.

It seems that the ratings for this school have changed dramatically in the past year. After a rash episode of reckless firing of many of the strongest staff and increasingly stringent policies towards decreasing parental involvement, I understand the trend. While the school declares diplomacy and democracy to be its motto, it has, in fact, become a dictatorship. I think its new motto has become something to the effect of "don't ask, don't tell". Should a parent express a concern, academic or otherwise, it is met with a condescending "this is only what YOU see as a problem". It is essentially impossible to get through the iron wall of the administration to address or resolve any of these "imagined" issues. I am saddened, but relieved to have removed my children from this school. It barely resembles the school that we once knew and were proud to be a part of.

Last modified Alfred Adler Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.