613 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

Today is the first day of school. My experiences with the school so far has only been with the office staff. The first unpleasant experience was when I attended orientation in the summer. The employees were rude because my child was not yet added to the physical list (in-hand) of registered children. I had to explain to them that my child was registered that morning in the main office prior to my arriving for orientation. Today was my second experience with the office staff. I received a call on my home phone from the school. My home phone service sends caller ID info to my iPhone, "INCOMING CALL FROM NORTHWEST ELEMETARY". I immediately call the school back to inquire about the call, The employee asks if a message was left. I explain the call was to my home phone and I do not have access to the VM only the caller ID on my cell. She explains the office is busy calling parents for various reasons but she will check to see who called me. She returns to the phone an tells me she will connect me with the originator but RUDELY comments "AND A VM WAS LEFT FOR ME". The office staff at NW Elementary should be sent to customer service education and training. They should be taught patients..

This was my oldest child's first experience in school. Last year for kindergarten she had a new to the school teacher who was beyond wonderful. I can't say enough good things about her teacher. The office staff can run hot and cold and could be a little better organized. I'm not crazy about the fact that they don't even have preliminary teacher assignments for the next year at the end of the current one, or at least have the information including specific school supply lists available before the tax holiday here. Getting everything 3 days before school starts lends itself to a little bit of panic. The PTA was great with fun and interesting fundraisers. My only other complaint is that if the music or art teachers are out for that day, the kids get even more PE rather than a sub. Not that there is anything wrong with PE, but I feel like art and music are equally important. Other than that, the teachers and staff we have interacted with have been pleasant and helpful. We're looking forward to another great year at Northwest!

There are just so many good things about this school that I will just say IT"S AWESOME!!! My son LOVES it!!

The Pre-K 4's and Kindergarten classes at this school are amazing. I cannot say enough good about them, caring and excellent teachers doesn't do them justice. One teacher hands out stickers to each student in the morning, it is very welcoming.

We have not had a very good experience moving to this school from Tampa. Last year, my daughters teacher retired with only 6 weeks left of school. She was not very nice. My other daughter was moved to another class this year after a month because her teacher was moved to another grade. My oldest daughter has had a horrible experience with her 5 th grade teacher whose discipline consists of yelling in the child's face. I myself have been screamed at by a teacher in the car pick up line because I didn't see my children and didn't park soon enough. I will be happy when my kids are out of this school

Unfortunetly it seems there is a growing problem with racism building in the students. Where this behaivor is steming from I do not know, but maybe the staff should start listening more to what the children are talking about. It seems that things that are said are either not being heard, or just completely being over looked. Lets educate our kids in every area, not just math, reading, writing. History seems to be lacking, if not at school. then in the homes of some unfortunate children. No child, white, black or other should be subject to feeling bad about their race or culture.

I have a child in kindergarten at Northwest. We love her teacher but are not happy with the safety of this school. There is little supervision during arrival and dismissal times. Anyone can easily walk through the gates during these times. We are going to consider private school for next year since I don't know if we can go another year worrying about our child's safety.

I love Northwest. The teachers are excellent and I know that my kids are safe there. See you in a few weeks.

I have a prospective 3rd grader that has attended the school since she was in kindergarten. She has loved her teachers, classmates and education. She tested into gifted early and her teachers have made every effort to keep her engaged in class. I strongly believe that the teachers try to keep children interested and excelling no matter whether they are gifted, average or struggling. They will reach out to that student where they are. It is a friendly environment. My son starts kindergarten this year. They both look forward to school.

Last modified Northwest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.