842 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

This school is amazing, being a student who has studied at this school, it's a great school from my personal experience.

To the person saying the gates are wide open on weekends. How many times did you see the gate opened? And how does this effect your child and others safety on the weekend when they are not in school on the weekend? To the person saying the cafe staff yells at the kids. Funny how all the parents think there kids are smart little angels. I am pretty sure if they were doing what they were asked they would not get yelled at. But then again they are in the cafe and do not listen to anyone or talk with inside voices. pretty sure you have not been in there long enough to make these statements. All the teachers and staff put their time in and time at home to get their job done. Many other jobs finish when you leave work but not for teachers. Work continues at home with grading papers and getting lesson plans ready. Everyone will always find a better way of doing it. Parents dont really know who is pulling the strings at schools.

My 9 year old went to New Heights. She was bullied every day, and was told by the office there was nothing that could be done about it. The RN is rude to the kids when they comes down feeling sick. A friend's son fell and injured himself, and they refused to call mom. He was in kindergarten and had a bloody knee. Mom only found out because I was there and saw him, so I let him call his mother. In my daughter's class, there was a little boy whom could not read above kindergarten level and he was still allowed to pass on to fourth grade. I have seen the lunchroom staff scream at the kids to push their food up, even if they were actively eating and had 10 minutes left of lunch time. There are some very nice people there, but the majority of it is horrible. I took my child out of the school.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

My daughter's teacher was very nice, but not sure if she pushed the kids to their full potential. She did tell me that she was told to limit the teaching of some things, that the kids didn't need to learn that stuff to pass the tests,

Amount of homework: Disagree

I feel like there should be a bit more to help reinforce what they are learning in class. 20 mins of reading and 8 math questions for 3rd grade seems very little.

Develops character: Disagree

When a child goes to a teacher about an issue, they get shot down and get told not to lie. This is without investigating the situation. I have seen teachers tell their students to sign parents names to homework if they didn't get mom or dad to sign it. No matter how bad you do in class, even the worst students get passed forward. Just do some summer school and you will be fine.

This school's staff is remarkable! They work hard daily to insure that students are getting a good education. The principal is strong and fair....and the whole community care for the children like they are their own...It takes a village. This is a hidden jewel in the county. I know, many may say the scores...the ranking...but that is not the only thing that makes a school spectacular! I'd want my children to go somewhere where the staff go above and beyond! My friend told me that Mrs. Wilson , Mr. Clifton, and Mrs. Sonny came over her house to do a home visit and to make sure she got paper work she needed...and 2 of them walked! That is what I am looking for. Go New Heights.

My son has spent the last 2 years at New Heights and performed well. My only complaint is that they work on their communication with Parents as a whole and better lock down for the side gates to protect kids in before/after care and portables. I drive by on the weekend and the gates are wide open...

I have kids going to this school since it first open up.The staff are good but the teachers are great especially Miss Gandy, Mrs Clifton, Miss Heater and Miss Korb and not forgetting Mrs McGee and Mrs Zengotita. The caf staff is always friendly and helpful. Only 1 thing need improvement and that is the Principal and the Assistance Principal need to be more active with the parents and be more visible around the campus.

I have to children in this school and my son went there 6 years ago. I am greatful for the teachers being able to help and keep in contact with me as needed. The kids have progressed very well. It is awesome.

Last modified New Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.