Galileo School For Gifted Learning 3

Posted May 11, 2015
A school with a very interesting set of goals. The staff are highly motivated. The full-time gifted coach/dean, Derek Cavilla, has explained his aspirations to be "the first openly gay Secretary of Education." The children get a lot of say in their day.

Galileo School For Gifted Learning 4

Posted September 03, 2014
Galileo is definitely above the bar for public schools in Seminole County. The conundrum, though, is that many of the students attending have not tested as gifted. The lottery timing for new truly gifted students is such that it is very difficult for parents of prospective parents to gain entrance for a new student, particularly when siblings of existing students and children of staff are automatically able to enroll. One more thing: all teachers are required by the Seminole School Board to be certified as gifted teachers. Although the school initially advertised foreign language classes, they've yet to successfully hire a gifted-certified language teacher. Also, the principal is not trained or certified in gifted education, nor in elementary education. That is truly bizarre, and amazing that the school board will accept it.

Posted August 03, 2014
My two oldest have attended this school since it opened. As a new charter school we experienced growing pains, however, the administration has always had the needs of the children at heart. They listen to the parents, teachers, and kids and quickly make adjustments to improve the school. The teachers work hard and genuinely care for the students in their care. Recently, a Middle School was added and I chose for my oldest to stay at Galileo. My youngest starts Kindergarten this year, so all three of my kids can attend the same school (something I never thought possible). The parental involvement is very strong and I can always count on the other parents to help out in the classroom or with my kids, just as I would gladly help out with their kids or in the classroom. Honestly, my kids are challenged daily with activities they enjoy and curriculum that is "just right" for their gifted needs. I tried other public schools before landing at Galileo and I can't imagine us leaving!

Posted July 27, 2014
Galileo School for Gifted Learning is an absolute amazing school. My daughter has attended the school for two years and next year my other daughter and my boyfriends two kids will also be joining her. The teachers, principal, councelors, staff.... Everyone...they make the school fabulous. Treating all the students like individuals, teaching them according to how they learn. Constantly keeping things interesting with events and games, not to mention the Spirit Nights at Roller Skating rinks and other various venues. There really isn't anything I could say negative about Galileo.

Posted May 07, 2014
Our son is about to complete kindergarten at Galileo. We couldn't be more pleased and fell truly blessed to have found and have our son enrolled at Galileo. The school uses gifted learning principles (Renzulli) and does not restrict admissions to gifted students. The lottery system is an unfortunate requirement of charter schools, but their funding is controlled by the county and their space is limited. While I can sympathize with parents who feel it is unfair to admit siblings and children of staff, if you think about it, how would any alternative be better? I would encourage parents who feel excluded due to timing or any other issue to contact the school. There are supplemental lotteries that are held to keep students at every available desk. We have found the staff to be very accommodating and approachable. Galileo's results speak for themselves on paper, if you could meet the staff, teachers, and especially the kids, you would know their approach is working. Hopefully the county will take notice and not only increase Galileo's funding, but consider additional charter schools utilizing their principles. We wouldn't want Galileo itself to get too big, size changes things.

Galileo School For Gifted Learning 1

Posted May 06, 2014
This would great if you were already part of the school system, however it's not enough/falls short. Good luck moving Seminole County with gifted children. The application is due in January and the LOTTERY is held in March, to late for those moving over the summer with gifted children. Not only are children of siblings allowed spots in the school even if not identified as gifted, but so are children of staff.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 09, 2014
I can't say enough good things about this school ! We are so grateful to the teachers, staff and leadership at Galileo. Our daughter has thrived academically and socially. The family environment and parent involvement is inspiring. We are truly one family, doing the best for our children and with their guidance and knowledge, providing the best for our children's future. This charter school is better than any public or private school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 02, 2014
We have had such an awesome and refreshing experience at Galileo. Their project based learning has helped my children really develop a love of learning again. The teachers and staff have a genuine love for teaching and the kiddos.

Posted September 16, 2013
I feel so lucky that my child attends Galileo. Galileo is a beautiful blend of home school, public, and private school kids who parents have the same desire to have the best education for their children. I was looking for a school that believed in acceleration and differentiation, who believe in teaching deeper & boarder. Not just harder work sheets. I love that that my child has two specials a day. My child loves that SHE gets to pick what SHE wants to do after lunch...will it be Legos on Monday, crafts on Tuesday, recess on Wednesday...it's her choice. The real heart of the school is Project Learning and Creative Productivity. This is where your child gets to apply their knowledge, create & present. It will blow you away every two weeks when it repeats with a new theme. I am a parent who has been here from day one, believe me they have had their "growing pains". This is a school that listens (and requests) parent input. My voice is heard! It's amazing that Galileo scored #1 in state in FCAT their first year & second year. It just shows if you teach to learn, you will succeed and have happy learners.

Posted August 27, 2013
My school is Galileo school for gifted learning. This year they have started a club after lunch of different things the children is interested,like soccer or Skylanders, or musicetc. It gets kids that is interested in the same thing friends since everyone in school eats lunch together. It is good so they have their club meeting at lunch for their club

Galileo School For Gifted Learning
2251 Jitway Avenue, Sanford, FL  32771
Last modified Galileo School For Gifted Learning is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Galileo School For Gifted Learning Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top