Seminole High School

Public | PK, 9 | 3067 students

Posted September 3, 2014

Let me first start off by saying this is my alma mater. and though I now go to USF I am forever a Seminole at heart. I graduated in 2012 from the Health Academy with my CNA license. This school is fantastic. What I love most is how it is practically in the heart of Sanford. Here you find people from all walks of life (not to mention different cities) which, in my opinion, rounds one out and makes them more understanding to those who are more/less fortunate than them. Going back to the education, the health academy is the best thing I could have done. Everything covered will help you if you go into something health related in college and studying the word parts will continue to help you learn words of all sorts. Not to mention the health teachers are amazing (I had Mrs.Miller, Mrs. Harper and Mrs. Bryan)! As for the other teachers you will have some good, some bad, and some you just don't know what to think. All in all Seminole High School is a fantastic school to build character and, of course, to get a great education. GO NOLES!

Posted March 18, 2014

Hello! I am a senior at this school amd have attended SHS for all four years. Not once have I felt in danger because of the "area" and yes the buildings may be old but the school in itself is very old. I was pleased with the school, the teachers... everybody and am proud to say that I will graduate from this lovely school in may of 2014. :)

Posted March 13, 2014

It is a great school, with many students, in every school there are bad people, but in a High School that has over 3500 students it is one of the high schools with smartest kids in Florida. The academic team always wins, the band is great, new buildings, mostly great teachers, a lot of electives from swimming, to 3Dart, to auto repair, to dancing, also 2 great award winning magnet programs: Health Academy and IB, also a lot of school spirit and huge campus.

Posted February 6, 2013

I currently go to Seminole and I am in the health academy program in all honors classes. Overall the program is good, but I was not happy with the school in general. The area is pretty bad and the buildings are just kind of run down and not very well kept. Also, the athletics are not good at all, with the exception of the dance team. The teachers that I have are good, but the environment of the school is just something you can't look past. I am definitely not going there next year!

Posted November 1, 2012

Our son graduated from Seminole last year. He had been in the IB program, hoever, thank goodness we took him out. He told us that kids in the program were so stressed out they used drugs to relax. This is a big price to pay for education. Our son was bullied on a daily basis and when we contacted the school administration they did try to help. Unfortunately, when a student turns in another student for bullying it only makes that situation worse. My advice, find another school. I wish we had.

Posted March 10, 2012

There is a certain type of bond that we, the students at seminole have with the school. A bond that no one can break. Seminole is our heart and our soul. The academics at seminole high are outstanding 10/10! Amazing teachers in standard, honors, advanced placement, and IB. These teachers know how to build strong relationships with us students and teach us with great understanding. If you wish to finish off the last 4 years of your child's grade school life here, you have made the right choice. I hope my review influenced some curious wanderers of the internet.

Posted July 28, 2011

i dont really understand why parents send there students to seminole, im going there now and im scared everyday because of how dangerous the students are i highly told the princabal but he did nothing. please what ever you do, do not send your student here you will regret it!! i mean to describe the life at seminole the students walk all over the staff and have broken every rule they have, violence is everywhere you look.

Posted March 10, 2011

this school is not the best. I am a sophmore at seminole and in the honors program. none of the teachers can control there classroom and the adminastration only cares about you if your in the IB or health program. The security is poor and so is the adminastration. I've actually been looking into dif. schools because i'm over seminole.

Posted September 30, 2010

I am a student in the Academy of Health Careers at SHS. The Academy is, I think, the best program Seminole has to offer. The teachers are caring and extremely well trained. They seem to go out of their way to make the students feel welcome and cared about. The principal is always present around the campus and that fact, along with strong administration, makes the school safe. With AP and honors classes, along with the IB program, Seminole has the best, and some of the most challenging, academics in the county. The extracurricular activities are outstanding as well. I am a member of the Band and the school's weight lifting team.

Posted October 6, 2009

The teachers are tougher. Parent involvement (e-mail). The school provides healthier lunch's.

Posted September 15, 2009

I love Seminole High for the opportunities it provides to my children, Both of my children, one a senior and one a sophmore this year are in the IB program at Seminole HIgh. It is a very challenging and rewarding program with well trained, wonderful, caring and supportive teachers and counselors. Thumbs up to Seminole High and all it has to offer.

Posted September 15, 2009

Seminole High school has opened many doors for me through the IB program. I am a senior at Seminole and participate on their lacrosse team. The IB teaching staff have been so helpful and informative in the 4 years I have attended Seminole. We also happen to be the 2008-2009 High School Football State Champs! GO NOLES!

Posted January 10, 2009

Go Noles! I am not only a parent of soon-to-be 3 graduates of Seminole and 1 getting ready to enter the Academy of Health Careers next year, but I am also a 1985 graduate from Seminole. Seminole was a great school there, with an undeserving reputation, but is a much, much better school now. Finally, after so many years of being neglected by the School Board, Seminole gained what it always deserved...recognition for its great education, great diversity, great extra curricular activities, great teachers and great leadership. For so many years schools in the north end of Seminole County have been neglected due to the 'location.' Because of the desegregation law suit imposed on Seminole county several years ago, these schools have been given the attention and resources they so well-deserved years ago. Academy of Health Careers is the way to go. Mrs. Maguire is the best. Go Noles!

Posted September 13, 2008

Seminole High is a very diversified school with excellent programs (IB & Health Academy). Seminole County, FL has made wise choices with regards to administration which makes this the best 'academic' county in FL. Go 'Noles!!! Go 'Noles!!!

Posted September 4, 2008

i love it; it has a great enviorment to the whole campus

Posted July 8, 2008

I have a daughter in the IB who will be a senior, and I have a son who is in the Health Academy. I am also a Alumni of Seminole High I love this school and with teh direction of Walt Griffin at Millineium Middle and then to SHS and now over sees all the Secondary Schools for Seminole County this county will blossom. It already teh best in Central Florida but I would like to see it teh best in Florida. For anyone new to the school or been in Seminole district their whole lifes my suggestion is get involved in extra curricluar activities. There is something for everyone. THIS SCHOOL IS GREAT!

Posted October 30, 2007

My son is a freshman at Seminole in the IB Program. He loves the program and says what he loves is that the school has many traditions that are carried out year to year. I find him to have increased motivation and drive since starting here. The school had a mandatory summer class that helped him to define his goals and learn organizational and study skills. I would suggest that if you are considering sending your child here, that you encourage them to attend either the IB Program or the Health Academy. Like any school this one has its share of kids who are not motivated and who are a disruptive element. My son is a member of the Pride of the Tribe, Marching Seminoles and is loving every minute of it. The School's population has a welcome diversity allowing the kids and parents to learn about one another.

Posted October 22, 2007

Seminole High School is probably the best high school in seminole county. It has gone from a D school to a B in only two years. I am currently enrolled and I enjoy going to school. I have been in both IB and honors level classes and recive a great education. My teachers are smart, witty, fun, and not at all rude. The kids there are great there is always something fun going on. The school offers a ton of extracurricular actvities. I am in 5 after school activities, including The Pide of the Tribe Marching Seminoles. Take my word this school rocks.

Posted September 9, 2007

I am a former graduate of Seminole high school and I am filled with Noles Pride. In response to the comments made about our performing arts dept, we are the best in Seminole County. But what these commentators don't understand is we sing and excel in choral and popular music. All schools in Seminole county audition for Disney's Candlelight Processional and Seminole high school is always given the most accolades and the most shows. Not to mention the fact that our teachers are overwhelmed with jobs offers from other schools because they want the legacy in the dance and choral programs that Seminole has. But our teachers will never leave Seminole because it is where their hearts are. The thing all these outsiders fail to realize is that Seminole has the same issues other schools face; however, what we have that they don't is the undeniable pride in every Nole.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 24, 2007

Since 2003 the FCAT scores have steadily climbed in all areas. It is a safe and diverse school filled with caring teachers. Hard work is required of all students.
—Submitted by a former student

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

799 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Source: Florida Department of Education

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 5 Star School Award (2007)
  • Top 1/2 of 1% in the nation by Newsweek Magazine (2007)

Special education / special needs