Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Posted December 20, 2012
I have stumbled onto this site and felt compelled to write a comment. I have live in South Walton for 10 years and have 3 kids that are in the public schools in SW. It has not always been perfect at any school they have attended here but it is with dedication and parent/community involvement that I believe SW will soon be the best school in the panhandle. The administration is changing, the accountability is improving, the classes offered is expanding and the college bound graduation rate is growing. I believe it was about 80% last year(class of 2012). My senior this year has had a wonderful high school experience, one that includes lots of friends, great teachers and wonderful memories that he will take with him as he enters college in the fall. No school is perfect, but it is up to us as parents and communities to quit trashing our local schools and step up to help improve them.

South Walton High School 4

Posted November 02, 2012
Came from a much larger school system in the Atlanta area. This is my 10th grade son's first year at SWHS. the teachers have all been very nice and helpful and one in particular will text or call me just to make sure I am receiving permission slips, etc. My son went on a school field trip to a local college in Niceville this week and came home excited for the very first time about going to college. The kids (and parents) seem to be lacking school spirit and my son was very disappointed that there wasn't a swim team. But overall, we are happy with SWHS and the teachers. The principle specifically was very helpful during orientation.

Posted October 25, 2012
I beleive most FL schools in general are below par but I have to echo most of the bad reviews. It really come down to being lazy and the leadership not caring. When I say leadership I'm including the SW staff and the Walton County School Board and when I say lazy I'm including 90% of teachers and 70% of parents. The teachers only do what F-CAT requires and no more. Most of the parents are happy if their kids attend class but won't lift a finger to volenteer or fund raise. We have a senior there and two others in ECMS. I will not subject them to SWHS's laziness. They will be going to Freeport HS. That's right! Freeport HS is now rated better than SWHS. That show how far Freeport has come and how bad SWHS has sunk. The parents are really involved at Freeport and the staff is determined to help the kids succeed. Bye Bye SWHS.

Posted October 15, 2012
I generally do not provide reviews but felt it only fair to speak up after reading the posts for South Walton High School. This is our child's first year at the school after moving from a much larger, "better" school in a different state and we are very pleased with the administration, teachers, and staff. What could improve is parent involvement and support. A low review for this school is undeserved. Our child is happy, involved, and taking honors/AP classes in a small school environment.

Posted September 14, 2012
Guidance counseling is non-existent at South Walton. Forget about college prep. No one seems to know the rules for Dual Enrollment, Bright Futures, or anything that has to do with attending a 4 year university. Try setting up an appointment by phone at South Walton. You will be waiting the rest of your life for a return call. Great example of expedience at South Walton; after not getting a response, I personally showed up in the Admin office to make an appointment. I was told the counselor was not in and I would get a call back. Not a minute later she appears, walking towards the receptionist's desk. I was stunned when the receptionist stated "she told me to say she wasn't here"! The only way to get through is by way of the School Board. My daughter's second year at South Walton was the last straw when she was placed in the same courses she had taken in the previous school year. When the guidance counselor was approached she stated it would be 30 days before any changes could be made. She was withdrawn that day. If you want your child to attend a 4 year university this isn't the school for you. You must be selective and strive for the best. This school doesn't care!

Posted August 27, 2012
I can only judge the school by statistics. Most students come from the middle school performing at grade level, and by graduation performance drops dramatically. Only 57 percent of students are reading at grade level in 10th grade. If I scored 57 percent, I would get an F, not an A under the grading system the state has created. Call it an A and the parents feel they have done what they can for their kids. Parents who are so pleased with AP classes need to get out of the stone ages. The best universities expect students to have IB diplomas. IB cirricula is something that is not even discussed in Walton County.

Posted August 18, 2012
I totally agree with the previous ratings but they just held the election again for the superintendant and the same incumbent won who's been in 3 terms (that's 12 years!) You get what you (don't) vote for.

Posted August 18, 2012
I've had two children go to SWHS. One graduated in 2007 and one is in 10th grade this year. I notice that many of these reviews are from a few years ago and so much has changed since then.We've had nothing but a positive experience. I wish they had a few more electives but other then that the teachers, administrators, and the new counselor are fantastic. Honors and AP classes are offered, college planning is available. What I have found is that most of the kids/parents who complain about the school are the ones who like to place blame on others for their failures rather then step up and take school seriously and as parents get involved.

Posted August 16, 2012
school was horrible i was subjected to bullying at the extreme levels ansd nothing was done to stop it. The school had no good classes or electives even tho teachers picked on me and gave me a hard time STAY AWAY from this school do not go here it is hell on earth

Posted February 02, 2012
School is awful..My child has been there 4 years, through controversial athletic directors & principals, non-caring counselor...Never get a call back from anyone. And if your child wants to go on to college, you can forget about anyone trying to help them prepare & inform them of possible scholarships, etc. They really seem to focus on the FCAT scores..to keep the school in good standing, while everything else a high school should be suffers. The student body pretty much mirrors the administrators (minus a few good teachers) not involved at all..My other children will NOT be attending this school..

South Walton High School
645 Greenway Trail, Santa Rosa Beach, FL  32459
Last modified South Walton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Walton High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top