Suncoast Polytechnical High School

Public | 9-12 | 528 students

Posted April 5, 2014

SPHS is a remarkable school that prepares our teens to excel in the real world. The teachers challenge them to think, thrive and engage plus enjoy learning! Students at SPHS are creative, intelligent and have a strong since of who they are. It is so exciting to hear and witness the passion for learning these teens have at SPHS! These students will and have made major contributions to the community and will in the future! I highly recommend SPHS they prepare their students for college and excellence! Thank you to all the staff for all of their dedication and skills!

Posted November 5, 2013

Terrible school. Might as well combine itself with Triad which is just down the street. The discipline is similar and so is the quality of teaching. To those of you who enjoy this sub-par school: I pity you.

Posted September 24, 2013

SPHS is a wonderful school. The small school atmosphere and challenging classes has kept my son engaged. His confidence has increased and as a result his social skills have increased. So thankful for the opportunity to attend this school.

Posted September 3, 2013

5 Stars! SPHS is off the charts with stars.....My daughter is a senior this year( been a student @ SPHS since freshmen year) and I am so EXCITED to see her graduate. She has accomplished so much over these past years and still maintaining a crazy schedule with duel-enrollment, maintaining As and working part-time. She has gotten so much guidance and encouragement from her teachers (because they care). SPHS is an awesome school! (A+) They push the students to do better, work harder, and act smarter. I appreciate this as a parent. Thank you SPHS!!!

Posted September 1, 2013

The first thing I thought when we walked into this school was wow. The school is so modern and the students have so much at their finger tips. The staff is very enthusiastic and eager to teach our children. They gave us all a very warm welcome and made me excited for our child. I only wish they had this kind of school when I was in HighSchool. I look forward to all the things my child will experience at Suncoast Poly Tech and all the things I will experience with her!

Posted August 31, 2013

When our child first decided to attend Poly Tech, we agreed with some degree of apprehension. We realized that our concerns were based on the unknown as the school was 'new'. We have quickly learned that the way the staff, teachers, and students interact makes for an outstanding learning environment. The teachers are 'out of the box' educators - making us wish that our schooling had been this innovative and cutting edge.

Posted August 31, 2013

I'm pleased with this school. I have a daughter that graduated the inaugural class of 2012. My second child is a junior. The SCTI portion of the program has made the round trip drive (50 miles a day from Venice) worth the time & effort.

Posted August 30, 2013

Love SPHS!!! :-) The small-school environment is perfect for my daughter! She gets individual attention and is held accountable for her assignments and grades...she will never fall through the cracks! I love that the teachers are committed to the students and seem to love working at SPHS! The team atmosphere is obvious with all the stories that come back to me from my daughter! Keep up the great work you're doing there!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 30, 2013

This is the best school I have ever been involved with. They employ teachers and counselors that actually care about your children. I am the mom of 5 with the 2 oldest enrolled there with the other 3 to follow. I would not even think of sending them somewhere else for high school. Excellent Excellent school. They are fantastic!!!!!!!

Posted August 30, 2013

Hands down the best school in Sarasota County!!!!!!!!!!!!! My student goes to SCF and SCTI while enrolled in this school. I could not of asked for more!!!

Posted August 30, 2013

PolyTech is leading edge when it comes to preparing young adults for their future. The graduates from Suncoast Polytech will be far ahead of their peers from "traditional" high schools as they will graduate with a skill so they can immediately enter the workforce after graduation. These young people are exposed to many different vocations prior to selecting their "major". They begin to work in the field they wish to go into in their Junior year. My son has chosen the medical profession. When he graduates he will have his CNA certification. This will open doors for employment after graduation. He can then chose to work on his LPN after graduation. I think Poly Tech is the "school of the future". Gone are the days of rote learning. We must teach our children how to provide for themselves and become productive citizens. Our world is changing. Don't let your kids be left behind. Think of their future. The campus is state of the art and technologically advanced. These are the leaders of tomorrow!

Posted August 30, 2013

What a great school and staff. This is a great choice for a great high school experience.

Posted August 29, 2013

If I could go back and do it all again, I wish I had the opportunity to attend an outstanding school like SHPS. Although we are new to this school, I am in awe of the amazing technology and career paths that are available to the students. I truely believe the education my daughter will receive at SPHS will give her a solid foundation for her future endeavors. The specialized program will give her an advantage over students from traditional high schools. I have never seen my child so excited about school because SPHS offers programs that actually interest and excite her. We are extremely grateful for the teachers and staff that make this such a great school!

Posted August 29, 2013

My school is the up and coming way to educate! SPHS is a smaller school. I love it because there are teachers who are passionate about what they are teaching. It is rare there is a behavior problem, the kids enjoy coming to school and there is a level of acceptance unlike any other school I've been in. Some of the educational tracks that are offered are not found at any other school and the fact that you can graduate with completed certificates and job training from SCTI is fantastic. Many great clubs are offered like gaming & animation, robotics, academic olympics, drama, archery just to name a few. Parents are really involved to make sure the students have fun at dances, open mic nights, talent show, the annual play. and teacher led field trips. I like best that my son has no problem getting up and going to school because he likes it. After rotating through all his classes and seeing what the kids are doing, I want to go back to high school! I feel like he's getting a great education and when he has trouble there is always help offered. I would recommend this school to any parent inquiring!

Posted August 29, 2013

SPHS has been a great option for us! Our son, now a sophomore, is doing great there. It's a small school (max of 600 kids) so the teachers really know each student. They aren't just a name and a number at SPHS! It's a great option worth looking into.

Posted August 29, 2013

SPHS is a great school. It has a great variety of programs. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted August 29, 2013

My daughter has said "I love it!", about this school. She is already pursuing classes that directly relate to her intended career path in 9th grade. The classes she is taking will put her in a much better position to start college than a traditional high school setting. The teachers, administration and students all seem to be happier with their " lot" than any other school I've seen. I am very grateful my child has the opportunity to attend this school. She would have been lost in the shuffle at the districted school she would have otherwise attended, where the average number of students is close to 3000!!

Posted August 29, 2013

My son is now a junior (has been at Polytech since his freshman year). He and I both like a lot about the school - particularly the tech driven curriculum. The only thing I do not like is their volunteer requirements for parents - I don't mind volunteering but the fact that my hours must be at the school (while my son can get his in at any Sarasota non-profit) drives me a little crazy (and seems to not be very well thought out) Overall, I'm very happy my son was able to get into this school.

Posted August 29, 2013

My child loves this school, I don't even mind the volunteer requirement. They are offering my child something she cant get in the mainstream schools and 15 hrs of my time is a small price to pay for that. I also believe that being actively involved in a childs education makes for a better student and a better parent/child relationship. My daughter is looking forward to going to school for the first time since kindergarten. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Posted August 29, 2013

SPHS has an excellent campus with amazing career opportunities for the students. This school really has their finger on the pulse of what kids are interested in that results in their desire to excel. SPHS offers wonderful programs that will give the students a great advantage in the workforce. SPHS students are privileged to receive such in depth training with state of the art technology. I really like that the teachers and staff are dedicated to helping the kids prepare for their future. This is an incredible school that should be at the top of the list if you are looking to enroll.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

133 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

134 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

139 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

92 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

129 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

11 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music