Brentwood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 644 students

Posted August 14, 2014

I am honestly shocked at some of the negative comments posted about this school. My child has been there for 3 years and loves it! I will admit that we had issues with a teacher that was quickly resolved and the administration that supposedly "doesn't care" (as posted by another parent) is simply b.s. The staff there could not have been more concerned about the issues I brought tho their attention and they were very quick to find resolution. How anyone can say that this school and their staff doesn't care is beyond me. However, I am a VERY involved parent. I take the time to ask questions, send notes to the teacher and participate in activities when I can. Yes, it makes a difference. Communication is EVERYTHING. That goes for staff, parents and children. My experiences have not been perfect, nor did I ever expect them to be. But, the point is, this IS a great school and I'm glad that my child goes there.

Posted June 10, 2014

Terrible experience here. The administration is not professional nor do they appear to have a child's best interest at heart. We moved from out of state and I pulled my son two weeks after being in this school. Extremely disorganized, violated confidentiality putting my child at risk, and were not apologetic. My child learned nothing in those two weeks either.

Posted April 2, 2014

HORRENDOUS!! This is our second yr at Brentwood & it has been a nightmare to say the least. The administrators are not involved & the teachers basically do whatever they want. Our second teacher of the year thinks it is okay to make children sit with their heads down on their desk (consecutive days) as punishment for loosing recess..tells the children if they want a drink of water they need to being a water bottle (there is a water fountain in the classroom!) yes, she tells them "no" to getting a drink at the fountain. These are 6 & 7 yr olds mind you. (She was just arrested for DUI, I really would like to know just what is in her 'water bottle' she keeps with her.) & the best one yet- my child was taken to the area for car riders bc her grandpa called & said he would be picking her up. my child does NOT EVEN have a grandfather living in FL !! No one else is even Authorized for pick up. Not that it matters, obviously. I have yet to receive an explanation,phone call, or apology for this latest fiasco. There is no follow up at this school. It is a disorganized mess ! Save yourself the heartache & STRESS, stay away !!! Seriously.

Posted March 21, 2014

My daughter finally arrived at this school after dealing with registration issues due to registar everyone was aware that we were moving out of state for a few weeks prior to arriving in Florida and it was still chaos the teachers aren't friendly and willing to help if you care about your childrens future do not send them HERE??

Posted December 11, 2013

Brentwood is a hidden treasure. The administration is nothing less than outstanding and has been known for years as being some of the strongest administration in the county. All of the teachers and professionals that I have met are extremely skilled, professional and willing to do what it takes to meet kids' needs. They have strong clusters for both special needs students and advanced placement with wonderful therapists to meet students' therapeutic PT/ST/OT needs. My daughter has special needs and I feel very supported in addressing her needs. Students in the advanced classes are also blessed with some extraordinary gifted/advanced teachers. They even have an incredible hip hop program for a specials class and running club after school. Brentwood is all about supporting the "whole child" and meeting each child's needs. This is why we love the school.

Posted November 13, 2013

This is an amazing school. Teachers and staff are always warm and welcoming to the children. My son loves his school. Keep up the good work Brentwood!

Posted August 5, 2013

I don't know what happened during those years that the negative reviews have been posted here... but, my daughter attended last school year (1st grade) and will be attending again this year. My husband and I LOVE Brentwood. We think the family and community involvement and the PTO are A+++! As a matter of fact, that's WHY we love this school SO much. Her 1st grade teacher was always available by phone or conference if we had ANY questions or concerns, and the other staff we had contact with were always more than willing to answer any questions, or find out answers if they did not know off hand. We love the fact that they have the B.A.D program (Brentwood Active Dads) and my husband and daughter can have those one-on-one times to be involved with the school together. Our daughter only received one "B" last year during the very first semester, the rest all "A's". I think Brentwood is doing an excellent job!

Posted February 5, 2012

My daughter attends this school and the teacher refuses to answer any of her questions when it comes to her academics. Report card comes home and my daughter is failing classes, the teacher was well aware of this and never had any contact with us about it. Not a phone call one was received, after previously conferencing with the teacher in the beginning of the year, she assured us that she would keep in contact with us on our daughters progress, but it has been a 1-way street, our attempts to find information and her neglect to answer. Staff at this school are not considerate, do not show any concern over the children who attend and have no respect for the parents. I am not happy with this school, or their staff.

Posted September 1, 2010

In recent years Brentwood elementary school has embraced community involvement. The relationship between parents has been encouraged with an open campus and following office check-in the ability to visit students and pick them up from their classroom. This has fostered parent-teacher interaction, parent-parent interaction, student-student interaction. This year these bonds are being severed one by one, isolating all. If just the Principles were forcing this, at least the parent-teacher relationships would remain strong. However, the Principles are disseminating information through teachers. Most teachers don t like this as it makes them seem like the bad guy and forces a wedge between parents and teachers. What is the next wave for the dismemberment of the feeling of community? Well you can certainly minimize the possibility that connectivity develop between students by making the lunch room silent. Yes, that is being kicked around by Brentwood Elementary Schools current Principle. Whoopee!

Posted August 31, 2010

This school is horrible and we are pulling our child out after less than 2 weeks. My son's teacher has ZERO interest in making him a better student, even though he's in the advanced Kindergarten class. My son used to love school and doing school work, and in less than 2 weeks under this 'teacher', my son now hates school and refuses to do his homework. There is ZERO involvement in the PTO. Child safety is also a ZERO. I was told that the children would be escorted from the school bus to the class room. I got to school before my son's bus and found him walking to class alone! After complaining to the principal, I went to school the next day and saw my son sitting on a bench for 15 minutes while a group of teacher/escorts chatted away. Keep your child away from Brentwood!!!!!!!!

Posted April 24, 2010

Brentwood is so very active in teaching our children and grandchildren not only the learning basics but the morals ones also! It takes a village to raise children, always has and always will!

Posted September 16, 2009

I grew up here in Sarasota and my sister and brother and I went to Brentwood. Now my own children go, and it has gotten so much better over the years. The teachers really care about the kids and take extra steps to help them in any way they can. This school has so much going for it, and I would recommend this school to any elementary aged child and there family they will love it. To me and my family Brntwood is an A+ school.

Posted July 15, 2004

Brentwood Elementary has a terrific aspect of school spirit. Every Friday the kids wear Brentwood t-shirts. Regularly there are events put together to raise money for the school, which may be running for laps, etc. The children are an essential focal point of raising money for the school and I feel the involvement gives the students a true sense of bieng a part of the whole. The teachers at Brentwood are very caring and experienced. I would recommend this school to anyone seeking as close to a private school education through a public school as you can get.

Posted July 6, 2004

The teachers at Brentwood are completely dedicated to each child. I have been able to rest assure for three years that my daughter was getting the most out of her day at school. I was constantly informed of her progress on no less than a weekly basis.

Posted August 26, 2003

Brentwood is one of the best public elementary schools in Sarasota County. The principal is outstanding and inspires leadership among the teachers. It also has one of the lowest teacher turnover rates because it's such a great place to work. Students are made to feel welcome and special. My eldest son was there from 1st through 5th grade several years ago and now my youngest son is working his way through the ranks. I feel very lucky to be districted for Brentwood.

Posted June 13, 2003

I would like to see in elementary schools have foreign language since children of this age could really grasp the language easier and remember than in middle and/or high school this is a first on hand challenge for them they could help with other students coming into the schools they are learning the english language.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

90 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MR. JOHN WEIDA
Fax number
  • (941) 361-6381

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now