Gulf Gate Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 709 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 16, 2014

Gulf Gate is "family" when I came here 16 years ago as a parent I was welcomed with open arms and it has been a part of my life ever since. I've been a parent, volunteer and staff member so I've seen pretty much every aspect of GGE. Teachers/staff come and they don't leave because we support one another through the good and the bad. Students who attended here come back to volunteer when they leave, and as they get older and start their own families they return as parents. It is a pleasant place to attend school and work, we follow class size amendment so our classrooms are not too large, we have a wonderful PTA but we can always use more active members. The building is only 13 years old with bright primary colors; it is a closed in school with no portables and it is right in a neighborhood so lots of children ride their bikes and walk. We love to show off so make arrangements for a tour or call and ask questions about enrolling requirements.

Posted April 15, 2014

Gulf Gate is a wonderful neighborhood school in the beautiful city of Sarasota. It has its growing challenges as do most schools in today's economic and politically volitile climate. The teachers work very hard and go above and beyond to do what's best for kids even though the stress of performance based pay and starndardized testing can be draining. The parents are just as supportive, those who are able, and participate regularly in many of our fundraising activities. The majority of the stakeholders at Gulf Gate do their best to put children's well-being first and as a result it remains a school with a great reputation in the area.

Posted April 15, 2014

Gulf Gate is a beautiful neighborhood school with lots to offer its students. All the teachers work diligently to ensure that all children are learning to their full potential. The administration cares whole heartedly about the teachers and most especially the children and their families that are a part of our wonderful school community.

Posted April 15, 2014

I have worked at Gulf Gate School for 10 years and am so very proud to be part of this school. I would rate it as a 5 star school as the faculty goes above and beyond for their students, the Administration is outstanding and the students are happy to be there. I wish every parent could see the daily structure of learning that happens at Gulf Gate. I love how involved our teachers and parents are with the ever changing advances in education. Many of our parents volunteer in our classrooms on a regular basis. I love that our Administration takes the time to visit classrooms on a daily basis. I believe Gulf Gate Elementary gives our students the chance to learn and grow both educationally and emotionally and I would highly recommend our school to anyone.

Posted April 14, 2014

The moment I walked into Gulf Gate as an intern, I knew it was special. I always say it's like a second home to me. I was hired a few years ago and have loved every moment I've spent here. The principal, teachers and support staff are amazing and often go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure our "kids" are taken care of. Gulf Gate is an amazing neighborhood school that I would highly recommend to anyone!

Posted April 11, 2014

I have worked at this school for many years and have enjoyed every minute of it. My daughter attended k through 5 here and had a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. The principal, support staff and teachers are an incredible group to work with.

Posted April 11, 2014

I am so impressed with my daughter's elementary school! She loves her teacher, whom proves to be knowledgeable and nurturing at the same time! The principal is amazing..she knows every child who walks through that door and seems very supportive of her staff. I would recommend anyone in this area who has any elementary age children to look into going to this school! I couldn't have asked for a better education for my daughter!

Posted September 9, 2013

Robin is the most amazing principal! Her involvement & love for these children is magical!!! I love this school & so do my children. This is the kind of school I wish I wouldve went to!

Posted October 13, 2009

The parents are very involved in the day to day activities. The teachers and administrators are easily accessable and caring.

Posted September 16, 2009

My children attended Gulf Gate Elem. and it was a great starting foundation.

Posted July 26, 2009

After attending Kindergarten and 1st grade out of the country, my son was behind in reading, he attended Gulf Gate for grade 2 and is getting the help he needs to improve his reading.

Posted August 10, 2008

Excellent school! Robin Hagood is a phenomenal principal and she has a staff of incredible teachers!Love the enthusiasm of everyone who helps to make this one of the best elementary schools in Sarasot.

Posted May 4, 2008

My son has attended Gulf Gate for 2 years and we love it! The teachers and principal are great, and there is tons of parent involvement. My only complaint is the 'science' instruction, which consists of a 45 minute class, once every 6 days, and usually involves a non-educational movie (like Land Before Time) instead of any science-related curriculum. Luckily my son's teacher makes up for this in the classroom with extra science. Overall, we love Gulf Gate!

Posted January 30, 2008

My son has been a student at Gulf gate for almost two years, and we all love it. His teachers go above and beyond, and our daughter is starting kindergarden next fall. We look forward to both children being in such a great neighborhood school.

Posted December 10, 2007

Fantastic school! Great family environment!

Posted March 24, 2007

This school has impressed me from day one. We started in kindergarten in 2006 and have been pleasantly surprised by the caring staff, awesome academic curriculum and high parent involvement. The principal always has a genuine smile and greets all the kids. My children have been expose to art, music, technology and P.E., as well as interesting academic subjects. I am looking forward to many more great years at Gulf Gate Elementary!

Posted August 9, 2005

Great school! My children love Gulf Gate. The principal Mrs. Hagood is wonderful and takes an interest in all of the children at the school. The teachers are great too! I highly recommend Gulf Gate!

Posted August 9, 2005

Both of my children are attending Gulf Gate. Gulf Gate is a school that cares about its students. Each child is provided computer classes en speacials. Great school, highly recommend!

Posted May 1, 2005

This school appears to have a high level of parent involvement and is located in a well to do area of Sarasota. Not many parents use the bus system but prefer to drop off and pick up kids. Teachers appears caring, knowledgeable and well qualified. Our son was in the first grade here and had a very positive experience.

Posted February 5, 2005

Gulf Gate is a wonderful school that promotes teamwork and learning by doing. My son is very happy and enjoys going to school everday. I love his school!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

106 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6500 S Lockwood Ridge Rd