Wilkinson Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 510 students

Posted September 1, 2014

This school, from our experience, was fine for our daughter who had no learning or behavior difficulties. For our son, that was diagnosed with ADHD, it was a different story. Most of the teachers we encountered did not have experience or training to deal with him, They were also overwhelmed with high student/ teacher ratios. They did try, although a few made him feel shameful. That was unacceptable. Even with his diagnosis they were very slow to provide help, including an IEP. He fell very far behind, which further hurt his self esteem. We withdrew him and he is doing great now. He is even an advanced reader and he loves math. The school environment made all the difference in this case. Sadly, the principle did not prove helpful during the process. The administration and office staff acted overwhelmed and extremely stressed and often rude when I had to communicate with them. Sad, really. There are some great teachers at this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 2, 2014

This school has a real lack of a good leader the principal just rambles on and on at every event and never seems to know whats going on. The teacher my kids had this year and last year was wonderful I will say and I love she is very great teacher. I just think the problem as I have said is in the leadership there at Wilkinson they really need to get it together recently my son was somehow skipped over for honor roll he had gone from a failing student in the past to getting straight A's thanks to the 4 hours we have been spending daily on homework and they somehow forgot to award him with the other kids. I spoke with the principal and they did nothing to make it up to him he spend days crying thinking his hard work was not acknowledged. I also have seen my friends kids slip through the cracks a ESE child who kept a C average all year yet still retaining him for not passing FCAT when he wasn't given any extra time or help that is required per his IEP that the school setup. My nephew also attends here and his teacher has the parents actually creating every single homework assignment through out the year but using work sheets for classwork this is unheard of elsewhere.

Posted February 7, 2014

My son has been going to wilkinson since he was 3 years old. He is now in second grade and I am sad to say this will hopefully be our last year. In the beginning the school was fine and he has had some great teachers, but this year is horrific! Every staff member is incompetent- especially his teacher!!! They switched his teacher 1 month in and gave us less than 24 hour notice!!!! His teacher constantly complains about petty things and just sends him out is the classroom, AND he is constantly bullied! Worst school... Nothing good to say. If your kid is advanced and a kind, sensitive little one- do not send your child here!!!!

Posted February 7, 2014

Awful school, worst staff! The staff in the carpool line are RUDE and make you feel lower than low. Constantly yelling in the loud speaker and barking orders at the children. My child had a great year last year and this year has been awful. I look forward to the day they can go to another school. I do not recommend this school.

Posted December 15, 2012

We love this school. Our son is in his second year there and the teachers have been wonderful. He loves it. The Principle Ms.Thomas and Vice Principle Ms. Deeds really look out for the children and are so helpful. Saftey is a priority and we wouldn't send our son anywhere else.

Posted December 15, 2012

With the recent mass shootings that have no rhyme or reason, parents like me really appreciate the magnitude of care that Wilkinson school has taken to keep children safe, so for those individuals who have complianed about the strict security at the school please understand that it is FOR THE CHILDREN'S WELLBEING. Anyone is capable of harm, including affluent, poor or middle class so checkpoints are of benefit at any responsible school and I am thankful for Ms. Thomas and Ms. Deets taking their job seriously. Our son has been attending Wilkinson for almost 2 years and I am very impressed with Ms. Thomas' and Ms. Deets' (school principal and vice principal) leadership. This school has kept the children's safety as one of their main priorities, as should any school. It has not gone unnoticed!

Posted September 21, 2012

I am thankful that this is our last year at Wilkinson. I have been with Wilkinson since 1999 with 3 children. The teachers are WONDERFUL, caring and welcoming. The admin, not so much for the past 5 years. I used to take pride volunteering but now I don't feel welcome. I feel like I'm a burden when I enter the office to ask questions. I constantly feel talked down to. The school is locked and it feels as if the statement is "You are NOT welcome". I can't even stop to roll down my window in the morning to pay a staff member a compliment as it's breaking the rules...even when the car line is not busy...you are waved by with a "keep moving, we don't care what your intention is..just leave". I recently drove my husbands car and didn't have a car tag, due to work I couldn't get there before 2:30 when the parking lot is blocked off and HAD to drive the car line only to be called out and spoke to like a public offender. They didn't care that I tried to do the right thing and that their rules were what kept me from doing what they needed. I was insulted in front of every student out there including my own son. I LOVE the teachers but the rest...not so much. :(

Posted March 7, 2012

I was looking forward to watching my children thrive in the wonderful elemantary school that helped me become the person I am today, unfortunately this did not happen. My oldest is in 4th grade at Wilkinson this year and has had some wonderful teacher's throughout the years, however the Principal, Assistant Pincipal, office staff, and some of the teachers are rude, unaccepting of constructive criticisms, and do not keep the average parent well informed. Information regarding school functions is rarely sent home more than 24 hours prior to the event, I recieve mixed information depending on which member of staff you speak with, I have repeatedly been met with arguement when trying to discuss any of my concerns, there have been so many instances of aggrevation with this school but I am choosing to keep it civil and not mention any persons directly. I wanted to tough it out so my children could have long lasting connections with friends and stay in a familiar environment, but most of their friends have already transfered out. I am sad to say we won't be back next year.

Posted January 14, 2011

My daughter has attended Wilkinson for the past 3 years and this will be our LAST!. I must say most of the teachers are AMAZING! I mean that because they are the reason we drive 20-25 minutes to go there. The staff on the other hand is DISAPPOINTING!!! The main lady in the office is terrible. I called due to an emergency and as soon as I said my name and my child's name I was immediately put on hold before finding out the reason for my call...then sat on the phone for a good 2 minutes. The Prinipal and Vice Pricipal are not friendly and when you need to speak to them they are busy. I fully believe this school would be GREAT with a new principal and a warmer administration.

Posted August 6, 2010

Some good teachers for sure, but the Staff is terrible. As a parent I feel uncomfortable being on campus, almost like I'm going to get in trouble or yelled at for walking in the wrong zone or whatever. Poor Communication about school events - No Honor Roll? My Son had straight A's and was never given any recognition for his hard work. Smart kids are taken for grants. The Parent association and fund raisers are HORRIFIC - Taking months to recieve your orders. I will never participate in another cookie order. What a fiasco. The Vice Principal is a real joke. Very rude and very petty and In the past I've caught him flat out lying to me. So glad I moved away from this stressful school.

Posted February 8, 2010

I have 2 children attending Wilkinson and can say from four years experiance that most (not all) of the teachers are great. However, the staff is not very efficiant or knowledgable, I never recieve a timely notice of important school events. Many of the other children attending the school are not the nicest kids. I have very polite, thoughtful, soft spoken chilren who do not thrive in this school.

Posted April 23, 2009

I am a teacher at Wilkinson and love how the administration communicates with staff, students, and families. Wilkinson is a great place to work. We are proud of our accomplishments. All of my kids have attended Wilkinson and received a quality education. The administration has high expectations for all students.

Posted December 15, 2008

This is a horrific school, there is no dress code, girls are cliquey like I have never seen before, there is no support offered by the staff, the main concern is getting the lower scores up with the ethnic children, if your kid is smart, it is the worst possible school to send them.

Posted October 11, 2007

I believe Wilkinson is a good school for the average child and the staff does try. However, I do not feel they strive to help the different child. Like most other public schools, Wilkinson simply blends all the special students in with problem children.

Posted October 9, 2007

Wilkinson has shown a great deal of progress over the last two years. Addition requirements from the state and county challenge students, staff and parents but we are all working had to make Wilkinson a great school. Administration has an open door policy that makes addressing concerns easy. The staff goes the extra mile.

Posted January 29, 2007

School has gone down hill since Mr Muth has gone. One child is moving on to Middle and I will be pulling my 2nd grade out this year. Very unhappy and hope changes are made soon.

Posted May 17, 2006

Wilkinson Elementary in Sarasota has often gone beyond expectations to assist my children in succeeding. The teachers my boys have had were excellent and the administration staff is great, too. We are sad to see Mr. Muth leave after 20 years, but Mrs. Thomas can certainly fill his shoes and then some! I look forward to her taking control of the school... Barbara Figlow

Posted January 12, 2006

Great School, Great Principal, Great Teahers... But I am very disappointed that they are not giving the chance to learn Spanish. Our Children need to have this opportunity. Liz Linares

Posted January 10, 2006

I am very happy with the education my son is receiving from Wilkinson Elem. Mr. Muth and Ms. Thomas lead perfectly and are well respected by students, teachers and parents alike. I am concerned about the number of 'non checked-in' adults on campus at school day's end though and hope that this will correct itself once constuction is complete.

Posted February 7, 2005

This is a great school and Mr. Muth is a very hands-on understanding and helpful principal.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

85 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

73 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Five Star School (2007)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Parent involvement nights pto sac home-school compact business partners esol support wilkinson run rennaissance program make and take nights community service projects starlab open media nights special events