Sarasota, FL
Before care: Yes

Wilkinson Elementary School 3

Posted September 01, 2014
This school, from our experience, was fine for our daughter who had no learning or behavior difficulties. For our son, that was diagnosed with ADHD, it was a different story. Most of the teachers we encountered did not have experience or training to deal with him, They were also overwhelmed with high student/ teacher ratios. They did try, although a few made him feel shameful. That was unacceptable. Even with his diagnosis they were very slow to provide help, including an IEP. He fell very far behind, which further hurt his self esteem. We withdrew him and he is doing great now. He is even an advanced reader and he loves math. The school environment made all the difference in this case. Sadly, the principle did not prove helpful during the process. The administration and office staff acted overwhelmed and extremely stressed and often rude when I had to communicate with them. Sad, really. There are some great teachers at this school.

Posted June 02, 2014
This school has a real lack of a good leader the principal just rambles on and on at every event and never seems to know whats going on. The teacher my kids had this year and last year was wonderful I will say and I love she is very great teacher. I just think the problem as I have said is in the leadership there at Wilkinson they really need to get it together recently my son was somehow skipped over for honor roll he had gone from a failing student in the past to getting straight A's thanks to the 4 hours we have been spending daily on homework and they somehow forgot to award him with the other kids. I spoke with the principal and they did nothing to make it up to him he spend days crying thinking his hard work was not acknowledged. I also have seen my friends kids slip through the cracks a ESE child who kept a C average all year yet still retaining him for not passing FCAT when he wasn't given any extra time or help that is required per his IEP that the school setup. My nephew also attends here and his teacher has the parents actually creating every single homework assignment through out the year but using work sheets for classwork this is unheard of elsewhere.

Posted February 07, 2014
My son has been going to wilkinson since he was 3 years old. He is now in second grade and I am sad to say this will hopefully be our last year. In the beginning the school was fine and he has had some great teachers, but this year is horrific! Every staff member is incompetent- especially his teacher!!! They switched his teacher 1 month in and gave us less than 24 hour notice!!!! His teacher constantly complains about petty things and just sends him out is the classroom, AND he is constantly bullied! Worst school... Nothing good to say. If your kid is advanced and a kind, sensitive little one- do not send your child here!!!!

Wilkinson Elementary School 1

Posted February 07, 2014
Awful school, worst staff! The staff in the carpool line are RUDE and make you feel lower than low. Constantly yelling in the loud speaker and barking orders at the children. My child had a great year last year and this year has been awful. I look forward to the day they can go to another school. I do not recommend this school.

Wilkinson Elementary School 5

Posted December 15, 2012
We love this school. Our son is in his second year there and the teachers have been wonderful. He loves it. The Principle Ms.Thomas and Vice Principle Ms. Deeds really look out for the children and are so helpful. Saftey is a priority and we wouldn't send our son anywhere else.

Wilkinson Elementary School 5

Posted December 15, 2012
With the recent mass shootings that have no rhyme or reason, parents like me really appreciate the magnitude of care that Wilkinson school has taken to keep children safe, so for those individuals who have complianed about the strict security at the school please understand that it is FOR THE CHILDREN'S WELLBEING. Anyone is capable of harm, including affluent, poor or middle class so checkpoints are of benefit at any responsible school and I am thankful for Ms. Thomas and Ms. Deets taking their job seriously. Our son has been attending Wilkinson for almost 2 years and I am very impressed with Ms. Thomas' and Ms. Deets' (school principal and vice principal) leadership. This school has kept the children's safety as one of their main priorities, as should any school. It has not gone unnoticed!

Posted September 21, 2012
I am thankful that this is our last year at Wilkinson. I have been with Wilkinson since 1999 with 3 children. The teachers are WONDERFUL, caring and welcoming. The admin, not so much for the past 5 years. I used to take pride volunteering but now I don't feel welcome. I feel like I'm a burden when I enter the office to ask questions. I constantly feel talked down to. The school is locked and it feels as if the statement is "You are NOT welcome". I can't even stop to roll down my window in the morning to pay a staff member a compliment as it's breaking the rules...even when the car line is not busy...you are waved by with a "keep moving, we don't care what your intention is..just leave". I recently drove my husbands car and didn't have a car tag, due to work I couldn't get there before 2:30 when the parking lot is blocked off and HAD to drive the car line only to be called out and spoke to like a public offender. They didn't care that I tried to do the right thing and that their rules were what kept me from doing what they needed. I was insulted in front of every student out there including my own son. I LOVE the teachers but the rest...not so much. :(

Posted March 07, 2012
I was looking forward to watching my children thrive in the wonderful elemantary school that helped me become the person I am today, unfortunately this did not happen. My oldest is in 4th grade at Wilkinson this year and has had some wonderful teacher's throughout the years, however the Principal, Assistant Pincipal, office staff, and some of the teachers are rude, unaccepting of constructive criticisms, and do not keep the average parent well informed. Information regarding school functions is rarely sent home more than 24 hours prior to the event, I recieve mixed information depending on which member of staff you speak with, I have repeatedly been met with arguement when trying to discuss any of my concerns, there have been so many instances of aggrevation with this school but I am choosing to keep it civil and not mention any persons directly. I wanted to tough it out so my children could have long lasting connections with friends and stay in a familiar environment, but most of their friends have already transfered out. I am sad to say we won't be back next year.

Posted January 14, 2011
My daughter has attended Wilkinson for the past 3 years and this will be our LAST!. I must say most of the teachers are AMAZING! I mean that because they are the reason we drive 20-25 minutes to go there. The staff on the other hand is DISAPPOINTING!!! The main lady in the office is terrible. I called due to an emergency and as soon as I said my name and my child's name I was immediately put on hold before finding out the reason for my call...then sat on the phone for a good 2 minutes. The Prinipal and Vice Pricipal are not friendly and when you need to speak to them they are busy. I fully believe this school would be GREAT with a new principal and a warmer administration.

Posted August 06, 2010
Some good teachers for sure, but the Staff is terrible. As a parent I feel uncomfortable being on campus, almost like I'm going to get in trouble or yelled at for walking in the wrong zone or whatever. Poor Communication about school events - No Honor Roll? My Son had straight A's and was never given any recognition for his hard work. Smart kids are taken for grants. The Parent association and fund raisers are HORRIFIC - Taking months to recieve your orders. I will never participate in another cookie order. What a fiasco. The Vice Principal is a real joke. Very rude and very petty and In the past I've caught him flat out lying to me. So glad I moved away from this stressful school.

Wilkinson Elementary School
3400 Wilkinson Road, Sarasota, FL  34231
Last modified Wilkinson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wilkinson Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top