483 students|Sarasota

Bad
Good

Have a son on the autism spectrum. We have unfortunately had to move around alot, which is a detriment to him. He has attended Wilkinson for kindergarten, third grade, and fifth grade. When we are in Sarasota we make sure we are in Wilkinson district because he thrives at this school. I have no problem with his IEP that was already in place from a different state. He has always had great teachers that go over and beyond, especially Mr. Hashey, and Mrs. Scotese. I have always felt welcome as a volunteer or visitor. Yes there are rules in place for security purposes, I am happy they are doing there best to keep my child and everyone else safe. Thank you to all the Wilkinson staff for many great years.

Great community feel from this school. Started at Wilkinson in kindergarten with Ms. Scotese, whom has set the standard to which all our child's teachers are to be judged. Fortunately, they all seems to teach to the same standard. Caring and considerate teachers that make learning fun and really work to engage my child. It doesn't stop there however, I've come to feel like the staff have become part of an extended family, especially principal, Mrs Thomas. On numerous occasions she has personally accommodated any issue I have had in a way that has been above and beyond what is expected. Couldn't say enough good things about this school.

Lack of communication with parents still have not gotten my sons FSA results his report card did not state weather he has passed or not

This school, from our experience, was fine for our daughter who had no learning or behavior difficulties. For our son, that was diagnosed with ADHD, it was a different story. Most of the teachers we encountered did not have experience or training to deal with him, They were also overwhelmed with high student/ teacher ratios. They did try, although a few made him feel shameful. That was unacceptable. Even with his diagnosis they were very slow to provide help, including an IEP. He fell very far behind, which further hurt his self esteem. We withdrew him and he is doing great now. He is even an advanced reader and he loves math. The school environment made all the difference in this case. Sadly, the principle did not prove helpful during the process. The administration and office staff acted overwhelmed and extremely stressed and often rude when I had to communicate with them. Sad, really. There are some great teachers at this school.

This school has a real lack of a good leader the principal just rambles on and on at every event and never seems to know whats going on. The teacher my kids had this year and last year was wonderful I will say and I love she is very great teacher. I just think the problem as I have said is in the leadership there at Wilkinson they really need to get it together recently my son was somehow skipped over for honor roll he had gone from a failing student in the past to getting straight A's thanks to the 4 hours we have been spending daily on homework and they somehow forgot to award him with the other kids. I spoke with the principal and they did nothing to make it up to him he spend days crying thinking his hard work was not acknowledged. I also have seen my friends kids slip through the cracks a ESE child who kept a C average all year yet still retaining him for not passing FCAT when he wasn't given any extra time or help that is required per his IEP that the school setup. My nephew also attends here and his teacher has the parents actually creating every single homework assignment through out the year but using work sheets for classwork this is unheard of elsewhere.

My son has been going to wilkinson since he was 3 years old. He is now in second grade and I am sad to say this will hopefully be our last year. In the beginning the school was fine and he has had some great teachers, but this year is horrific! Every staff member is incompetent- especially his teacher!!! They switched his teacher 1 month in and gave us less than 24 hour notice!!!! His teacher constantly complains about petty things and just sends him out is the classroom, AND he is constantly bullied! Worst school... Nothing good to say. If your kid is advanced and a kind, sensitive little one- do not send your child here!!!!

Awful school, worst staff! The staff in the carpool line are RUDE and make you feel lower than low. Constantly yelling in the loud speaker and barking orders at the children. My child had a great year last year and this year has been awful. I look forward to the day they can go to another school. I do not recommend this school.

We love this school. Our son is in his second year there and the teachers have been wonderful. He loves it. The Principle Ms.Thomas and Vice Principle Ms. Deeds really look out for the children and are so helpful. Saftey is a priority and we wouldn't send our son anywhere else.

With the recent mass shootings that have no rhyme or reason, parents like me really appreciate the magnitude of care that Wilkinson school has taken to keep children safe, so for those individuals who have complianed about the strict security at the school please understand that it is FOR THE CHILDREN'S WELLBEING. Anyone is capable of harm, including affluent, poor or middle class so checkpoints are of benefit at any responsible school and I am thankful for Ms. Thomas and Ms. Deets taking their job seriously. Our son has been attending Wilkinson for almost 2 years and I am very impressed with Ms. Thomas' and Ms. Deets' (school principal and vice principal) leadership. This school has kept the children's safety as one of their main priorities, as should any school. It has not gone unnoticed!

I am thankful that this is our last year at Wilkinson. I have been with Wilkinson since 1999 with 3 children. The teachers are WONDERFUL, caring and welcoming. The admin, not so much for the past 5 years. I used to take pride volunteering but now I don't feel welcome. I feel like I'm a burden when I enter the office to ask questions. I constantly feel talked down to. The school is locked and it feels as if the statement is "You are NOT welcome". I can't even stop to roll down my window in the morning to pay a staff member a compliment as it's breaking the rules...even when the car line is not busy...you are waved by with a "keep moving, we don't care what your intention is..just leave". I recently drove my husbands car and didn't have a car tag, due to work I couldn't get there before 2:30 when the parking lot is blocked off and HAD to drive the car line only to be called out and spoke to like a public offender. They didn't care that I tried to do the right thing and that their rules were what kept me from doing what they needed. I was insulted in front of every student out there including my own son. I LOVE the teachers but the rest...not so much. :(

Last modified Wilkinson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.