Posted September 16, 2014
My daughter attended Ashton for 2nd grade and was in the gifted classroom. Her teacher had almost 30 years experience, but seemed to have no understanding of gifted children and their emotional sensitivities or mental health issues. The school counselor was not any better. My daughter is not an easy child, with a genius IQ, she has a tendency to question authority, has poor peer social interaction, sensory processing disorder, dyslexia, dysgraphia, social and separation anxiety. None of these are uncommon among gifted children and this should be no problem if you understand them. Unfortunately this school did not. A few weeks into the school year, I was blind-sided at a parent/teacher conference in which I was told my daughter was the most disrespectful child the teacher had ever met. When I discussed with them that a psychologist had wondered if she had ADHD, I was told to medicate her or she would turn to drugs and alcohol later in life. After a horrible year that destroyed her self-esteem and self-efficacy, we decided to move back to OK. Here she is accepted, understood and loved at her school. She is a Kiwanis Terrific Kid, and Vice President of her student council.

Posted September 10, 2014
The best school in Sarasota. Nice experience with my three kids. The Principal is outstanding

Posted April 18, 2014
Ashton is the most amazing school. The teachers are brilliant and engaging. My children are so happy at school. We moved from Illinois three years ago and I could not be happier. No bullying or mean cliques. The PTA goes way beyond and we are thrilled to be part of such a great school.

Posted March 24, 2014
Couldn't agree more......my two daughters will NOT be returning to Ashton!!!! You really know this school, nothing matters more than keeping my children safe !

Posted September 20, 2013
We love Ashton! We moved here partway through the school year last year, and my kids were made to feel welcome and comfortable right away. Last year and this year they have incredible teachers who relate so well to the kids, who give (for the most part) interesting, challenging assignments, and who maintain excellent control of their classrooms in a calm manner. My kids always enjoy the fun projects they work on, and hardly realize they are learning so much in the process. The principal, Mr. Renouf is always friendly and approachable, and really gets to know all of the students and families. The school does a wonderful job of, despite its size, offering such a warm, nurturning environment.

Posted May 02, 2013
Love, Love, Love this school. Both my children have had great teachers and I feel lucky to be sending them there. We could not ask for a better education .

Posted January 15, 2013
To the previous parent: You don't need a voucher system. Sarasota offers school choice as well as charter schools. There is no reason to have your child at a school where your child is not thriving. Best of luck to you.

Posted December 19, 2012
We have had two children go through Ashton and now have a 3rd. The first two the school was wonderful, but now in 2012 it seems to have lost the best teachers, and the principals seem to lack the leadership they once showed. My son is so demoralized by the teachers in this school he is very depressed when he comes home. He does not like to go there, and the staff is not much help. We would like to send him someplace else, but its not like we have a choice. There is no voucher system in sarasota, as there should be. We feel stuck sending our child to a place he is not wanted. Maybe its better for girls, but it is not good for boys.

Posted August 25, 2011
My child just started kindergarten at this school and everything has been great so far. She is actually asking to go to bed early because she can't wait to get up and go to school the next day.

Ashton Elementary School 0

Posted October 09, 2010
Super teachers, wonderful, involved parents, great, well-behaved students!

Ashton Elementary School
5110 Ashton Road, Sarasota, FL  34233
Last modified Ashton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ashton Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top