Shalimar, FL

Posted June 03, 2014
I can attest to the fact that the school counselor did not say the learning disability didn't matter. What was told to the parent was that our county does not recognize dyslexia for ESE services but that other avenues would be followed to allow for the best learning envirnoment for the student. Shalimar has excellent staff and students. Learning and student needs are a top priority at Shalimar.

Posted April 03, 2014
We are a military family who transferred from North Carolina. I have never been so disappointed in a school program. My son is in the 3rd grade and unfortunately he suffers with dyslexia which makes academics difficult for him. The teachers and the counselors ONLY concern is the FCAT testing. They teach taking a test rather than actual learning skills. Then when your child has a hard time with the FCAT they fail them. I was actually told by the counselor my son's learning disability didn't matter. FCAT is what matters. I have a daughter graduating from college with honors, another in her 2nd year of college (Dean's list) and two in high school (one in AP classes the other in early college). We have been in four different states and never once have I had such a hard time with a school program. And yes, one of my daughters actually had a hard time in school with reading when she was younger. The school (Fort Meade) helped her not made her feel stupid. Now she is on the Dean's list at Medical College of Virginia. Amazing what a good school program can do.

Posted December 12, 2011
My son has attended kindegarten and is now in the middle of his 1st grade year at Shalimar. He test above average in every metric, an extremely smart child. Even still this year his 1st grade teacher is dreadful. She has no patience and is swift to give out zero's and F's to first graders without offering assistance. 1st graders as we all know are age 6-7 and very active. This teacher is unable to handle the class and very rude to the children, raises her voice and rarely smiles (which goes a long way with kids). Because of this I am pulling my son from her classroom and this school and enrolling him into a different school. I am heart broken that my child had to experience such awful teaching but we will overcome this.

Posted April 30, 2010
The teachers, the parents and the administration make this school the best place to have my son for his education. Love this school!

Posted April 28, 2010
I love Shalimar because it really operates more as a family than a school. We have wonderful parent support and our teacher's are dedicated to seeing each child succeed. I travel 45 minutes every morning and afternoon to have the honor of working here and I would not change it if I could. I love this school and it's people!

Posted April 28, 2010
Great teachers and support staff. Mrs. Lightborne is a wonderful teacher and both our kids liked the school. We have 1 now in the school and we are happy with his education.

Posted April 28, 2010
Shalimar Elementary is an excellent place to grow and learn. Teachers are caring, inviting, and inspiring. Each one of them goes the extra mile to give a child what is needed. There is a family atmosphere. We take care of each other and call on the expertise of colleagues in a problem solving environment. Students love to come to school. They look forward to all the activities like Science Lab where hands on is the only way to fly and Computer Lab where they practice Essential Skills, Harcourt Math and FCAT Explorer besides preparing for special projects. There's also a parent based Art in Action program. Once a month a team of parents brings all classes to the Art room for a special lesson. Our art is displayed at the County Art Show and throughout our school. Our music department causes toes to tap, bells to ring and our hearts soar with the music developed there. Children perform on stage for the school and their parents in our annual Talent Show. Five of our students have gone on to the City Talent show competition. We love our Coach who also gets our hearts pounding with the Miler club, station activities, loads of smiles and hugs. Shalimar is a very warm place!

Posted April 28, 2010
It is simple - It is the best elementary school in Okaloosa County! Great Principal, great teachers, great staff and the very best students!!

Posted April 27, 2010
Have really enjoyed our two years a this school. Staff are very caring and helpful with both the students and their parents.

Posted November 13, 2009

Shalimar Elementary School
1350 Joe Martin Circle, Shalimar, FL  32579
Last modified Shalimar Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shalimar Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top