Westside Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 580 students

Posted March 12, 2013

Wonderful Elementary school. Principal Kesselring is a superior asset to this school by involving herself personally with students and parents. The office staff is equally as helpful and professional. Although we have had issues with SOME teachers, our concerns were addressed and the proper measures were taken to ensure our child's needs were met and problems eliminated. I feel very confident that my children are safe, being well educated and guided to a positive future and rewarding educational journey because the staff at Westside Elementary was there to get them started

Posted April 27, 2012

I have to say ,my husband and i love this school,Our son has had two very wonderful teachers.they are doing something very right

Posted April 6, 2011

We were told by the principle of the school that this school meets ayp (annual yearly progress) standards. The superintendent of the county told us the school qualifies for school choice and the nclb (No Child Left Behind) program meaning this school hasn't meant standards in at least 2 years. From the very confusing data we found on the schools website it was presented that from 2006-2010 the schools fcat reading score was 56% for grade 4 to a state average of 68%. 10 points lower!. This school not only falls far below the state but also shows mis truths about the fact. http://fcat.fldoe.org/ <---heres the data..see for yourself. I would not be surprised if this comment is removed from this website as it shows the truth of this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 6, 2010

I'm in 6th grade now, and when I went here for kindergarten and first grade it was a fantastic experience. I had nap time for kindergarten and we had a little bit of playground time, and we had some free time. Although the teachers were a little strict. And they gave you TO MUCH free time. I understand nap time and playground but even more than that was to much.

Posted December 2, 2009

I am very unhapppy with this school methed of teaching . I came from cleveland and had my son in private school and he was an outstanding student, ever since he started at this school he has not learned any thing to get him ready for first grade and i thought cleveland puplic schools was bad. I am so ready to pull him out of this school and have him in private school were they focus on getting the children ready for the next grade level and not reading books and taking naps when they should be focus on reading writting skills.

Posted April 16, 2009

My daughter has went to this school since we moved up to spring hill in Jan 08. She loves this school. The teachers are great and she loves to go to school everday which is different than in her previous school in St. Pete. We also use the Boys and Girls club and she has a blast there!!! Highly recommend this school!1

Posted July 5, 2007

Westside is a great schooI! have 2 children there and they are doing extremely well. The teachers are dedicated professionals who go above and beyond for their students. We should support teachers and work with them to educate our children.

Posted May 21, 2007

I was extremely unhappy with this school. My kids came from another county, in Fl. and I had a child start kindergarten. By the time of the middle of the year, she still did not recognize all her letters. I had to tutor her at home, and she was ahead of her class. I decided to pull her out of this school. I also had a second grader who was being tested for gifted, he was reading at a 5th grade level. When he came to Westside, they said he had to have 5 100's in reading tests (read a book take a test) before they would allow him to read 5th grade level books. They tried to force him into reading baby books, he was unhappy and just took the test without reading, and failed. I would not put any child in this school, until it changes.

Posted January 30, 2007

I loved Eastside because the teachers and the staff are all wonderful. They all treat everyone with respect. I miss Westside alot! My son went to Westside since kindergarten until third grade, I never had a problem except for first grade with a terrible teacher,she was just to mean on the students. Other than that Westside is a very good school. If I could my kids would still be going there. So whatever you do keep your childern in Westside.

Posted September 19, 2006

As a parent of two children that attend Westside, I do believe that 'Westside IS the Bestside'. I am very proud of the everyday challenges that Westside offers my children. Thank you to all the wonderful staff that make everyday eventful for all the children who attend. You are all a blessing!

Posted May 15, 2006

This title one school has lots to offer to students. However, the level of parent involvement is almost non-existant. The activity programs are fair, at best. The PE program is by far the worst!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 12, 2006

Westside is a nice school, and some of the teachers are great, but I wish that there physical learning was at a higher level. I attended school in Illinois and to me it seems that the public schools here are a couple years behind.

Posted January 11, 2006

This school is decent, and some teachers better than others, but Florida education in general is just frightening. I am from New York, and could never imagine a teacher saying 'ain't' or 'crap' in the classroom on a regular basis. My child's teacher says 'he ain't got none' and other shocking, unintelligent phrases. It is common. Parents beware- if quality education is important to you, be cautious about a move down to Florida. It is very different, and I've seen it this way for the two years we have been here. It is just so bad that we are moving back. My children deserve an education that will take them as far as they are capable of going, and it won't be provided here.

Posted August 17, 2005

We are very pleased with this school. The teachers and staff teach the kids to respect one another. The Accelerated Reader program is one of the best things we found. The school is a model school for this program.

Posted March 21, 2005

The test scores are a bit low at this school. Although they pulled them up, they are still low as compared to other areas. The teachers are all very inexperienced and I think this has contributed to the poor performance.

Posted October 19, 2003

My son is in the 2nd grade and has become a very well adjusted young man. The speech therapist helped him remarkably. In no time he was over his speech impedement that tormented him so. Thanks Barbara Oliver! He is now an A student and making me very proud. Thanks to the patience and the excellent teachers of Westside, the children attending there will be outstanding citizens of our future. Thanks Westside, you're the best side!!

Posted August 14, 2003

My daughter has been going to Westside for 3 years now and is a straight 'A' student..The staff at Westside from the classroom straight down to the custodial crew are great!The teachers are very well organized with their lesson plans and send home a planner everynight for the parent to sign.They keep us well informed of what is going on in and outside of the classroom. Westside is the bestside.. Go Tigers!!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

94 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. GINA MICHALICKA
Fax number
  • (352) 797-7180

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now