No rating

Wider Horizons School

Private | PK-12 | 140 students

WHS is best known for early grades Montessori and College Prep high academics.

Living in Spring Hill

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $79,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

School Official Point of View

Posted September 10, 2013

Wider Horizons School incorporates Montessori learning into the lower grades and moves into College Preparatory in junior high then Dual Enrollment in high school. WHS helps today's students learn to work more quickly, more accurately and to focus on the activity at hand. Students have the opportunity to read classic literature on every grade level. No student is required to read a book that his/her parents may not like. The result of the education at WHS is our graduates are successful in the college of their choice.

Posted April 17, 2014

The good: Curriculum is very demanding and your child will excel beyond what any public school will teach. They push hard for excellence, and demand every child's personal best. The bad: They push so hard for excellence, that if your child is not excellent in their eyes, you will be rejected from this institution and asked to leave. The expectations set forth are high, and I actually respect that. Unfortunately my child was not worth teaching, in their eyes, so if your child struggles in school this may not be the school for you.

Posted December 12, 2013

I'm expecting my first child and was considerin this private school.. The reviews and website are very helpful and it seems like a great program; I just don't see any information about cost of attendance. Would someone please tell me the cost for tuition?

Posted November 8, 2013

WHS is top notch. My son is in his third year there and has progressed well beyond where I thought he would be at this point. I also appreciate the values that are instilled in our youth while attending WHS. The staff at WHS are exceptional and show each and every day that they care about the kids in their charge. I look forward to watching my son graduate from Wider Horizons.

Posted November 5, 2013

My two sons are students at the Wider Horizons Montessori and it is a blessing ! This school has good morals, the teachers and staff have great ethics and are very responsable. Mr. and Mrs. Maglio ( owners and principal) take very seriously their responsability and mission as educators. They have the moral authority and the knowledge to educate, and install good morals to the children so they can be prepare for a successfull future

Posted October 8, 2013

My son has been attending Wider Horizons for three years now. The owners along with the teachers are excellent. I have two older children who attended public schools and I this school is well worth the investment. I love the morals they instill in my son and the patriotism the school shows. Dr. and Mrs. Maglio know each and every student and truly care about their academic future. I am looking forward to my son attending Wider Horizons until he graduates high school.

Posted September 17, 2013

This is my sons second year in this school. I have seen so many positive changes in him since leaving the public school system. He has become a motivated self starter with a better attitude towards school and his responsibilities. The smaller class sizes are an added benefit. I only wish I had found this school sooner. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a positive change for your child.

Posted August 19, 2013

I am still owed money from the directors of this school. I unenrolled my children based upon the finding of a book in his classroom that I had been told would not be there and the access to this literature was misrepresented to me when i contacted your school months prior. I had expressed that I had unerolled my child for that exact teaching at another montessori and was told it would certainly not be at Wider. Upon finding the book on the day before school Mr Maggio concurred it is a damaging book for anyone to read. I was told that they do not know what books are in the shelves because they are donated. How then when I contacted the school prior would it be possible for them to tell me this book was not at this school. Also moreover how concerning for the secretary to know children have read it there. Due to this I do not feel as though I can trust this school based on what they tell me. I have yet to receive a refund of the money I have paid even though my children never attend a day of classes.

Posted August 1, 2013

I really do love this school! This is my daughter's 2nd year at Wider Horizons. She just turned 5 and she will be starting Kindergarten this year. Last year, in preschool, she learned her addition and subtraction tables and began working on her multiplication tables. She is an excellent speller already and has begun reading. Personally, I like that the kids are able to work at their own pace. It helps to keep their attention and doesn't allow them to become bored or disenchanted with their work. The school is relatively small and close knit. Dr. and Mrs. Maglio know each and every student that attend their school and their scholastic progress. The teaching staff is excellent and fosters the idea that they are a community within the community. I always see the older children helping the younger ones in the classroom and on the playground and I've never heard of a case of bullying here. Even at her young age, my daughter tells me about the new kids that started and how she and other students are helping them to learn the ropes. I hope to keep my daughter in school at Wider Horizons throughout her academic career.

Posted August 1, 2013

My 3 year old son has been attending this school since Fall 2012. He has impressed us time and time again with the skills developed at this school. From making his own counting board with chalk on our driveway to show us how he can do math work, to singing traditional and patriotic songs for our whole family! He has started to read, he can write his name, and knows most sight words at the age of 3. A great method of independent learning is implemented in this school which allowed our son to progress at maximum potential. He is very proud of his work and we are too! Beginning Fall 2013, all three of our school-age children are going to attend. We are looking forward for this year's work and progress at Wider Horizons!

Posted July 14, 2013

My son is a relatively new student to Wider Horizons. He entered half-way through the third grade. He came from the public school system where he wasn't meeting his full potential -- academically or socially. It was quite frustrating. However, since attending Wider Horizons, he has excelled in his studies, has made many friends and has matured tremendously. Dr. and Mrs. Maglio show a great interest in all of the students. Being a smaller school, they know so much about each and every student. They are always available to speak with, whether in person or by phone, regarding any questions or concerns I may have. The curriculum is outstanding. The students learn so much more than academics -- they learn about life.

Posted March 16, 2012

In 2004 my daughter was 4 yrs old and I chose Wider Horizons for the Montessori methods. I stayed for the academics, values, and leadership development opportunities. It s important to me that my daughter spends the majority of her day in an environment that espouses the same values and beliefs that I do respect for others, courtesy, generosity, honesty, conservative principles and high expectations. I also want a safe environment that will not tolerate bullying, disrespect, cliques, or other behaviors that distract from learning and impair confidence. The Montessori methods create a foundation for lifelong learning and WHS teaches respect for materials and organization of work that become habits in other areas of life. My daughter is never bored, if not playing sports she is usually buried in a book, or enjoying a Sudoku game or word scrambler. My daughter is mature, introspective, inquisitive, polite, confident, talented, and very enjoyable. She is sensitive, kind and cares for others. At 12 yrs old she has far greater maturity than her years and can reason better than many adults I know. I chose Wider Horizons for the Montessori methods, but I stayed because it works.

Posted March 16, 2012

I went to this school my entire life and graduated several years ago from both PHCC and high school. Whoever wrote a review referring to crimes needs to get a grip. The teachers I had were all wonderful. Some of them don't work there any longer, but a lot of them do. I was given the best opportunities to succeed, especially being allowed to do dual-enrollment at the end of my sophomore year. It's the reason I did well on the SATs---having that accelerated education put me ahead of my peers. Those who criticize the lack of extracurriculars need to look for another school---that's not what WHS is about. But even so, the after-school activities are still there. My teachers watched me grow up, and many of them became like a family to me. I wouldn't have gotten that at any other school, and I certainly don't have that now at USF. I'd like to thank WHS for helping me get to where I am today; if the school had never existed, I wouldn't be entering the graduate school program at nineteen. Thanks to everyone who helped me get there. This school is well worth the money.

Posted March 16, 2012

My son has been gong to Wider Horizons for the past two years. We have had nothing but an excellent experience with the school. The teachers have been superb. Dr. And Mrs. Maglio are involved in all aspects of the school and know each child by name. I feel confident in sending my son to school knowing that he will be treated in a fair manner and in a safe environment. The school is not only preparing him for college but his future.

Posted March 16, 2012

My daughter was 21/2 yrs old attending a pre school and i was told by her teacher that she is excelling at all pre school work and will have to be placed with the 4-5yr old class so she does't become academically frustrated. My aunt saw an ad in the local newspaper for Wioder Horizons Montessori and suggested i check it out. I am so glad I did. My daughter have attended WHS since that age and now at 6 1/2yrs old dhe reads at a 3rd grade level is independent in her studies and is learning chinese, spanish and having fun with music. Wider Horizons School view my daughter as a whole individual, enhancing her academics as well as giftings and creativity. The school functions as a family and the kindergaten children know the high schoolers. Awesome school and someday my daughter will be president and a great leader because of what she is learing. Thank you to the staff at Wider Horizons. A happy Parent.

Posted March 12, 2012

Our son has been enrolled in Wider Horizons for about one year. Enrolling him in Wider Horizons was one of the best decisions that we have made to date. Since his enrollment our son has flourished both academically and socially. Our son is in kindergarten and is working on multiplication tables and division. His teacher Mrs. Iannone is truly remarkable. The administration (Dr. and Mrs Maglio) are very involved in all aspects of the school. They know each child by name and they know their capabilities. The school provides a safe, nurturing and loving environment while providing an unsurpassed educational expperience. Our son truly enjoys going to school everdyay and is very comfortable in this environment. The school expects the children to make wise decisions and will be held accountable for the decisons that they make (just like in real life), something that we try to instill in our son in our home environment. I would recommend Wider Horizons to any parent who wishes to see their child thrive in a very diffcult world. We would like to say "thank you" to all of those who make Wider Horizons such a wonderful school......Robert and Jamie Prickett

Posted February 14, 2012

The individual who wrote that the teachers are abusive were correct. My 3 year old came home from her first day and said her teacher called her chubby. She was so frightened she had an accident the 2nd day and we pulled her out of the school. I am working on the last stages of my mental health counseling degree and I would not recommend this school. Horrible staff and horrible owners

Posted December 5, 2011

My son is attending Wider Horizons-currently in 3rd grade. I pulled him out of Quest, the "gifted" program in the public school, at the end of 2nd grade (a class of 35 gifted students taught by 2 substitute teachers). He was actually BEHIND from being in gifted: too many students, 10% of which were highly disruptive and will stay in the classroom simply because they tested into gifted and cannot be denied. Disruptive behavior is NOT tolerated at WH, so my son learned that he must use self control in school. Instead of being handed an A, he actually has to work now. He is learning Spanish AND Mandarin. He has learned his multiplication tables, and is now on complicated division, multiplying fractions, and geometry (this is all in the last 7 months). Though I think the Maglios are arrogant and the tuition is too high, my child is getting an excellent education. ALL seniors graduated WH high school WITH an AA from PHCC (dual enrolled saved 2 yrs of college $$) and were accepted to the college of choice. Yes, there is a "cost" to losing your child in the public school system. We have had to make enormous sacrifices to afford the tuition, but we are not sacrificing our child's future.

Posted January 15, 2011

My son has gone to Wider Horizons since he was two. He was one of the last in diapers to go there. Now they only have preschool, and I am so glad that he was able to go for as long as he has! He is now in 8th grade and it is the only school he has gone to. The Maglios have always had an interest in every child that has gone there. But one of the reasons we wanted our son to go there was because they don't put up with problem children who take up the time of the good students who actually deserve the time. And for the people who keep asking about the fcat test. Those are for federal funding, which a private school doesn't get anyway. Why don't you ask "how many children have scholarships, or how many of the kids who are graduating are actually going to college. And how about dual enrollment, which they push your child to do. So before you hear the disgruntled people who are not happy, talk to the people who have sent their child there for 13 years! And we are very happy with the school, and the administration! Thanks to the Maglios and their push for excellence!!! THANK YOU! It's is the best thing I could ever do for my son!

Posted September 3, 2010

My child has attended Wider Horizons from K thru 5th grade. Our experience with WH has been an excellent one. The principal is not only knowledgeable and personable, but shows a sincere interest in his students, parents and faculty. He is always available for personal conferences, as are the teachers. The Montessori method employed at WH allows students to move thru the curriculum at their own pace. My child has shown great progress since entering WH. His interest in academics has increased, as well as his achievement. In six years there has only been one teacher that we were dissatisfied with...... She has since been terminated. Most of the teachers we have come in contact with seem to be very dedicated educators. As a former teacher for 33 years in NY, I would rate Wider Horizons as an excellent school..

Posted November 18, 2009

My son has been a student at this school since pre school. He is now in the 4th grade. The teachers are excellent, as is the education they receive.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 10% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 90% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of South Florida
University of Florida
New College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School psychologist
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Gold Seal (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best of Hernando Silver (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Mathematics
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Visual arts

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Domenick J. Maglio
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NIPSA
  • Other Montessori
Fax number
  • (352) 688-4371

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep
  • Dual Enrollment, Individualized program
  • Montessori
  • Multi-aged
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Judge academic fairs
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council