PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Wider Horizons School incorporates Montessori learning into the lower grades and moves into College Preparatory in junior high then Dual Enrollment in high school. WHS helps today's students learn to work more quickly, more accurately and to focus on the activity at hand. Students have the opportunity to read classic literature on every grade level. No student is required to read a book that his/her parents may not like. The result of the education at WHS is our graduates are successful in the college of their choice.
September 10, 2013

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My daughter has been attending wider horizons for 3 years. I can not say enough about this school, the staff and the other students. The will for my child to learn and the ambition and drive they teach her, exceeded my expectations.. She is doing so well, not only learning things that I never learned in school. But teach honesty, respect and personal goals. We truly found a school that is not only a teaching ground but a family as well! I can not thank them enough.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It is their creed and students may get off track for a while due to external circumstances,but Ms. James,The Student's Teachers and the Maglio's have a personal interest in every students development as a person....I have witnessed this happening and they are driven and steadfast in their teaching approach....

My child went from home schooling with little or no socialization with other children(only child) to blossoming in this educational environment. It is very demanding academically,but they are "straight Forward" in their approach to teaching,with the goal reaching the students academic potential leading to College/University acceptance....not at just some community college(which has a purpose) ,but ANY SCHOOL of the student's choice is within reach.......Also I have met the Girl that has been there since 3 years old and she got a full scholarship to a NY University for Pre-Med at 15! She is one of the most articulate people I have had the pleasure of EVER meeting....And she is only 16 years old! She is a testament to the school's benefits if you work hard to achieve your personal educational goals...Do they push students hard,absolutely and its not for everyone.....It certainly beats the alternative..There is a SPECIAL LADY,Ms. James,is the HUB that coordinates everything and I ,mean EVERYTHING! .My hats off to the Maglio's and all they have accomplished since 1983.....THANK YOU...

Upon reading a recently posted negative review of the Wider Horizons School, I felt it necessary to voice my opinions. My daughter, who is now 15, has attended WHS since the age of three. It is absurd to suggest that any grades in this school are inflated or exaggerated. Wider Horizons School provides an outstanding foundation for education to all their students. Their staff of superior educators, strong and caring administrators, and a curriculum that leads to independence and confidence are unprecedented in this community. They base a student's grades strictly on their test grades, class achievements, and timely work. The comments previously stated on this website about grade inflation is absolutely ridiculous. We credit our daughter's educational success and achievements completely to Wider Horizons School. Her successes in the future will be directly associated with Wider Horizons School.

My daughter has been a student at Wider Horizons from the age of three, she is now 15 and in 10th grade. While we have all certainly had growing pains when it came to her buckling down and being the best student she could be, I could not be more thankful that this school exists. There has not been a time that my child was having a difficulty that every member of this school did not stop put their heads together and work with us, the family to help her improve in a healthy way. The reason I choose this school for my daughter 12 years ago is still the reason she still attends today. She is challenged on a daily basis academically; as well with the true Montessori tradition she has learned that it is her responsibility to be a productive and educated member of society and no one else’s. To the comment on here about inflated grade. I would strongly disagree. My child has been expected to perform at her best every single day she has attended Wider Horizons. No excuses are ever accepted. It has prepared her for the real world. Perhaps a bad testing day should not be taken out on an entire school or its faculty.

I recommend this school up until sixth grade. It has an excellent approach to learning and your children will be ahead of their peers. For middle school send them somewhere else because afterward grades are inflated if they aren't progressing fast enough. There was a child in my daughter's year who would fail every single math test with a 15-30 percent (we knew this because if you fail your name and score are written on the "board of shame") but somehow managed to pass the class and the year. Why? Because the parents are allowed to threaten to pull their child out of the school if they don't get an A or B. And it works. Explain to me how high school students that supposedly have 4.0 GPAs struggle to get a 1700 out of 2400 on the SATs? A 1700 is a very low score for children who get straight As. There was someone a few years ago who had a 4.0 GPA and a near perfect SAT score. It was clear their grades weren't inflated. I haven't seen anything similar to that since. They tried to inflate my child's math grades to "keep me happy", but I wouldn't allow it. The dishonesty from the high school staff was a red flag and thus I removed my child after eighth grade. I'm happy I did.

My daughter has had more academic success at Wider Horizons than 3 other schools we've tried. We put a high regard on education in our family, and while 2 of the last schools were "good schools," she was not being challenged or encouraged to reach her potential. In such a short time at Wider Horizons, she has developed real study skills, is reading more, and is eating up her math lessons! I think the structure of the class is a little bit of a shock to her, as her last school had a very different approach, but she is learning the ropes quickly and adjusting well! I recommend Wider Horizons as I have not experienced another school that realizes the potential of their students!

Listen, this school is pure bologna. I have never seen such bologna in my entire life. If you send your child to this school, he/she will become bologna. The teachers and stuff are bologna. The bathrooms, floors, roof, all bologna. The last time i witnessed this much bologna, was during the great Haitian chicken famen of 1978. Even that had less bologna then this school. In conclusion, i would say that if you do not want your child exposed to this much bologna, i would not recommend this school. bologna

Fast acceleration fit to abilities! Studies are interesting, challenging and FUN for students. Along with studies, these lucky students are enjoying songs, love of country and family! They learn pride, competition, perseverance! They learn respect, manners, consideration for others. The benefit from great interaction with teachers and other students. We are amazed and so thrilled at how this school interjects so much extra information into their studies! Kids love it! Our Isabella certainly does! Everyday she returns with a smile and lots of fantastic information and stories. She is motivated by so many exciting things constantly happening within the school. We are grateful to the administration and staff for this top-notch education. Their system of teaching and expanding the horizons of each child is is state-of-the art. The name Wider Horizons College Preparatory says it all! I am a grandma who is beyond satisfied. I salute the founders..

The good: Curriculum is very demanding and your child will excel beyond what any public school will teach. They push hard for excellence, and demand every child's personal best. The bad: They push so hard for excellence, that if your child is not excellent in their eyes, you will be rejected from this institution and asked to leave. The expectations set forth are high, and I actually respect that. Unfortunately my child was not worth teaching, in their eyes, so if your child struggles in school this may not be the school for you.

Last modified Wider Horizons School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12