St. Petersburg, FL
Before care: Yes

Perkins Elementary School 3

Posted October 03, 2014
O.k. so several years after the new principal arrived the school is showing signs of organizational problems. A wonderful school for the arts is turning into a rule based nightmare and a very unhappy place. Older teachers close to retirement are cranky and burnt out and administration seems to have lost its focus (the children and learning). They no longer appear to respect parents or children. Teachers complain about curriculum and pay for performance issues.They bark orders all day long, the kids are rushed, overworked, and just plain stressed. There are still a some good teachers left who want to be there so hopefully they don't loose them.

Posted August 22, 2013
Perkins Elementary, St. Petersburg FL, is a fabulous arts magnet school where children are privileged to have more extra activities than at any other school in our system. Dance, drama, piano, t.v., production, art, vocal and instrumental music, Suzuki violin, Spanish, etc. They also have a super academic program and are highly rated in reading and math. I am employed as a substitute in this school and have my choice of teaching at huge numbers of schools in the county system. Perkins is almost an hour in drive time from my home, but I don't mind the trip because of the fabulous programs, good students, and excellent friendly staff members. I wish my own children would have had a school like this available when they were in the elementary grades. It's truly very special. Any kid would love attending classes here.

Perkins Elementary School 3

Posted November 30, 2012
As you can see a lot of the reviews for this school are older and were written before the new principal arrived in 2009. While everyone loved the old principal the new one seems to relentlessly pursue his own agendas regardless of other peoples opinions. Most of his issues are trivial matters and his attention could be used for more important ones. One example is there is a problem with neighborhood kids and bullying and the administration tries to ignore it(they do not report it outside the school) rather than deal with the behavior problems. The result is children are afraid while attending school. Instead they focus on how many ways they can reduce the number of allowed tardies which is already a reasonable amount. Especially when you take into account the public bus system has late arrivals almost everyday which do not count against the student. However, what makes it a better than average school is the parent involvement, curriculum, and most of the teachers are great.

Posted March 12, 2011
This is the MOST amazing school! When my child began going to this school, he had been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Delay, NOS. He was barely speaking in the 1st grade, and when he did, it was impossible to understand him! Over the course of 5 years, and with all of the support of every staff member down to the cafeteria workers (lol) my son excelled to the point that no one meeting him could ever tell that he was ever diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum! He was mainstreamed from 1st grade on and progressed to making the honor roll or principals list every grading period from the 3rd grade all the way through the 5th grade! They care and they are smart passionate educators who will come to know your child individually and treat them accordingly. They work with the entire family and if one is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to have your child accepted to this program, you have effectively given your child the best academic start in Pinellas County! My son and I both miss this school with all of our hearts!

Perkins Elementary School 0

Posted March 19, 2009
I am pleased to inform everyone what a great school Perkins Elementary is. This is the first year my daughter attended a magnet school. She attended Mt. Vernon since Kindergarten and this is her last year of elementary schooling. I was fearful changing her school the last year but I wanted her to excel and she seemed complacent just getting Honor Roll. I became enthralled when my daughter recieved Principal's List her first grading period. The principal is inviting, social and eager to help. ALL the teachers are enthusiastic, friendly, professional and respected by the parents and their students! I have never experienced such dedication from any other school my other children attended. I have praised this school to all my friends, family and co workers. Keep up the exceptional work Perkins your the best in my book.

Posted February 20, 2009

Posted December 01, 2008

Posted June 29, 2007

Perkins Elementary School 0

Posted June 29, 2007
The best thing I can say about Perkins is that my son thanks me often for letting him attend such a 'fun' school. Perkins makes learning fun, which sets the pace for their love of learning for the future. The teachers and students alike really enjoy being there. There is a great network of parent volunteers and you cannot beat the wonderful music, art, spanish, theatre, dance programs. Also, there is great gifted program and PE daily.

Posted May 03, 2007
A fantastic school with a dedicated staff, parent volunteers and kids who are learning in all ways possible. Lots of great Art, Dance, Drama, Music, Spanish and equally engaging academics, plus a wonderful gifted program.

Perkins Elementary School
2205 18th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL  33712
Last modified Perkins Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Perkins Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top