St. Augustine, FL
Students enrolled: 1,718

Posted January 08, 2015
This is my first time rating a school. Since we are moving again, I thought I would just leave my opinion to this school. My son who was Straight A from Martinez middle school (nearby) went to Steinbrenner and he loves it. The only downsize is, his grade went down. I think due to stress in the band. My husband and I thought that it is way too much for a student to wake up 5:30 in the morning and stay there for the most part around midnight because of band practice then they make them get up early on Saturday morning to do fundraising. My son is our first Highschooler. I can not remember him get sick until he went to the High school. This rating might be a little personal but I think, the school has to reconsider to give the students a break and let them regenerate. It affected his performance in academic. We as parents, think that he won't be needing clarinet performance once he apply for a job. Music should be more for fun than serious. I can not imagine to be up 17 hours in a day. They need to balance it out..these kids need to be high top to perform in every aspect of their lives.

Posted July 29, 2014
Most diverse school with excellent character in both students and staff! Recently moved to St. Augustine and I am impressed with the professionalism of the staff at St. Augustine High School! My son is entering 12th grade and is in chorus and the AICE program!

St. Augustine High School 1

Posted July 27, 2011
This school DOES not return papers and WILL not allow parents to see what is being graded. Their AICE Program is a joke, is arbitrary and unavailable for perusal. Find someplace else for your child, unless he plays football.

Posted October 13, 2010
there is a support system, and the best choice for academics in place for every child no matter what their interest

Posted January 17, 2010
What a wonderful learning environment. The Chorus Dept. is amazing. Mr. Dodd is a wonderful chorus teacher. Art, music, dance, guitar, voice, piano, drama...St. Augustine High has it all. I graduated from here in 1972, now my daughters have attended, maybe I'll have grand children attend St. Augustine High School - the best in the County.

Posted August 02, 2009
While the AICE teachers and JROTC instructors are fantastic in the least, I must admit that several of the non-AICE and AP teachers are pathetic in their ability to instruct a classroom. The staff is technology ignorant at best, and many are jumpy and unsure when they must make decisions related to computers and their use. The disciplinary staff make no decisions for themselves, and merely do as the computer program says, making little to no effort to judge the situation with any higher thinking skills. The staff communication is mediocre, and I found that some teachers/staff were never even informed of major decisions made by the administrative staff at SAHS. The only things I found not lacking in this school were the AICE staff, Computer & Fine Art staff, and the JROTC cadre.

Posted June 11, 2009
My son was home schooled before we moved to the Saint Augustine area. Although we are in the Nease home district he was accepted into the Saint Johns County Center for the Arts. I have found that the school is a very caring and accepting place for creative teens. My son found a place where he can be his self and is thriving. Unlike other programs, students can 'cross' into the other Art areas as long they meet the audition requirements and have room in their schedules. Many students are in the honor/dual enrollment/ advanced placement and /AICE courses/programs . Mr. Dodd, the Director of SJCCA, is also the head of the choral program. He was Saint Johns County Teacher of the Year and is committed not only to the arts education but to the nurturing of his student's characters and the awareness/consequences of their choices. Kudos to the SJCCA!

Posted December 11, 2008
I'm a student now of Allen D. Nease but I was a student of St. Augustine. The teachers at St. Augustine are 3 times more loving and caring then at Nease. The J.R.O.T.C. program is better as well.

Posted October 26, 2008
Great school! The teaching acadamy is great. AICE is not for everyone. Schools graduates are going to the top schools nationwide . High GPA's abound and the school has a good diversity. State cuts have hurt. The school had an orchestra but it was disbanded due to a teacher with other priorities. Teachers can help all they can but the student also has to be interested.

Posted October 25, 2008
My son attended this school for four years in the AICE program. He graduated with a 1500 on his SAT. I could not have been happier with the relaxed atmosphere and so much work was done in the classroom each and every day. This is an awesome school !!

3205 Varella Avenue, St. Augustine, FL  32084
Last modified St. Augustine High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
St. Augustine High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top