Mill Creek Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 912 students

Posted December 1, 2013

My three children have all attended Mill Creek. We've had a great experience. The new principal who came to the school in 2011 is fabulous. I have seen improvements in my children's academic skills, and their teachers have always had an open door policy. The Pre-K program is great. I can't believe how much my 4-year-old is doing!

Posted September 6, 2012

My son is in Pre-K & I'm amazed at how great this school is! It's all day Pre-K program too. Communication is excellent with a daily e-mailed report advising me how he ate, if he napped / rested, what they read, studied in the classroom as well as & in music, media or gym. Everything! He loves going to school & is just learning so much faster than I dreamed. Lots of Open Houses & chances to get involved too which is perfect for us. Love our PTA Discounts key-tag!

Posted May 26, 2010

Poor communication on part of the administration. Principal does not listen to parent concerns. If you are the type of parent that would like to be part of an open to communication school, this is not the one.

Posted May 16, 2010

My eldest child attended Mill Creek back when Mr. F and Mr. C were running the show and it was absolutely wonderful!! I am sad to say that it is completely different now. The last two years it seems that the school is more like a business than a place for children to learn and grow. The teachers are unhappy and stressed out. My youngest child who is currently attending Mill Creek is always behind and the school offers no help; communication is bad and they don't encourage parent involvement in the classroom. Mill Creek has always had a great reputation, but it is no longer an A school in my book.

Posted January 13, 2010

I love Mill Creek! The Administration, teachers and PTA all do a wonderful job for our school. However, we need parents to get involved without waiting to be asked. There is much we can do to support our child's education.

Posted September 28, 2009

The entire staff make an effort to know every child and family which in turns makes the student feel special.

Posted September 16, 2009

The staff and teachers are very concerned about doing a good job and work hard to make our children excel!

Posted October 14, 2008

Our kids have been at Mill Creek Elementary for about five years now. My kids have been well-developed both academically and socially. We've had a total of 8 teachers, between the kids, and all have been dedicated, organized and caring. In fact, with the exception of one teacher who is no longer there, my kids have LOVED their teachers and we've been very happy. The administration is effective and very committed. Perhaps best is the school's friendly, positive environment - a great learning atmosphere for kids. A new PTA has created an even more welcoming atmosphere and there are more new volunteers helping out. The administration and volunteers at Mill Creek Elementary create an environment where parents can be as involved as they want. Kids' education is the first priority and the school's faculty, administration and volunteers seem to all work very well together toward that priority.

Posted October 10, 2008

I tend to disagree with the e-mail below. I have always felt welcome when volunteering at the school both in the classroom and with the PTA. Perhaphs their events would be more organzied if they had more volunteers. The only way to make change is to become involved. If security is your concern, join SAC and make suggestions. The gifted program is limited but again, is more than what was there in previous years and by voice and involvement alone changes can be made. I believe the principal is doing her best with the limited resources she is given.

Posted October 5, 2008

This will be our families' third year at Mill Creek Elementary. We have two kids here. We have been happy with one of their teachers but not the others. The gifted program is limited and was just thrown together to accommodate minimum requirements. School safety needs to be improved. Doors are left open and unlocked ALL OVER the school. Anyone can just walk in anywhere. The Principal seems nice & to work very hard but overlooks some of the concerns parents have voiced about technology tools for students. Like the laptops parents bought but now there is no laptop program. Volunteering is hard at this school so parent involvement could be better. This PTA has a terrible reputation and has gone downhill. It is run by a clique. The PTA events are not well-organized. The school administration seems to overlook this organization. Extracurricular activities are limited and need improvement.

Posted May 8, 2008

We have been at Mill Creek Elementary a year and really have enjoyed our daughters teachers both years. Unfortunately, I believe that the school has gone down hill in the past year. The gifted program offerred is extremely limited. The technology is behind that of other newer schools in the area. I believe that the administration changes in leadership have not been positive. We are considering other options, not because of the teachers, but because of the environment and leadership. Very disappointing to us!

Posted December 6, 2005

My son attended Mill Creek Kindergarten but was transferred to Timerlin Creek for 1st grade (this year). While Timberlin is a great school, he still misses the teachers, students and other facilty. They have a wonderful program!

Posted May 17, 2005

My child has been enrolled at Mill Creek for 3 years, and we've never had any issues. The teachers have been great, as well as all of the faculty. They have fun activities for the students throughout the year.

Posted March 31, 2005

My daughter is a first grader at MCE, and I am so glad we decided to enroll her there. Her teacher, Mrs Michel, is awesome. We moved here in January after Christmas break, and I was skeptical about her feeling confortable in a new school. Diarra loves her teacher, her classmates, and her school. We are looking forward to the next four years. Thank you to all the Mill Creek staff.

Posted January 26, 2005

Wonderful school. Lots of parental and community involvement. Clean and bright. Great dedicated teachers. My son is in 5th grade and we will be very sad to leave Mill Creek.

Posted May 5, 2004

I have 3 boys who have attended Mill Creek. The older 2 are going to be a senior and a freshman in the 04-05 school year. The experience we had as a family was wonderful. My children felt like school was a second home. The teachers were able to give extra attention when it was needed and at the first sign of the kids stepping out of bounds I was notified. Luckily none have even been in trouble. We all cried when they had to go to middle school. The experience the 03-04 year in different. The school has become like a machine, that is only striving to function and I can't wait for the youngest to be out of there. The reason is because of the crazy growth that was thrust on our area without any regard for the teachers or kids.

Posted August 26, 2003

My daughter started 3rd grade at MCE last year (2002) and we have been extremely pleased with the care and quality of teaching she has received. The school has done an amazing job bringing up the FCAT scores and going from a C in 2001 to an A this past year 2003. Mr. McClatchy, the principal, is wonderful with the students and always has an open line of communication with the parents. I feel very fortunate that our daughter attends MCE. It is a safe, friendly and hard working school!

Posted August 12, 2003

We moved from a top rated public school district in NJ in July 2002. I have been very pleased with MCE. Everyone I've spoken with has been kind, sincere and dedicated to the well-being of my children. My daughter was in K last year and my son in 2nd grade. I was originally concerned that the Northern schools would be well ahead of the Southern schools (since FL's schools reputation had preceeded it). My children excelled early, which was recognized by their teachers. They were screened for 'Gifted and Talented' classes and passed the screenings. My son is now with MCE's teacher of the year-and he loves it! My daughter is still too young for 'G and T' but I am comfortable that when she's 'of age', her teachers will move her accordingly. When we moved here, MCE had just raised their scores from a 'C' to a 'B' rating and this past set of scores came back, as expected, 'A' Mr. McLatchey is an amazing role model. He's great with the parents and better still with the kids. I would recommend Mill Creek to anyone intersted in a quality public education in St. Johns Cty.

Posted June 29, 2003

We have been at Mill Creek for a year now and the school only keeps making improvements. The Teahers and Administration are always working hard to make the school a better place. We just keep improving our grade and the programs for the students because of all the involvement from the teachers, staff, parents and community. I am a very involved parent and find that the school welcomes all the time I can give to the school, as well as my child's classroom. A piece of advice I will give new families just entering the school, is to always ask where you can help or just jump in...because the school is a large school I find that you can't wait for someone to approach you but you need to just join in. The staff and teachers are always in need of assistance but often times don't have the time to ask or know who to ask as far as the parents. The PTA is always looking for family and friends to help out in the multitude of activities that go on throughout the year. It just takes someone to ask.

Posted June 28, 2003

We moved here in February 2002, my child was in 1st grade. We were not sure how Mill Creek would be so we had an application for our child to go to Jacksonville Country Day School. When a spot became available at JCDS, we went to Mill Creek and spoke to the principal and were absolutely positive that MCE would be the better choice for our child. We were not only impressed with the academic program, but with the Character Counts program also. They care about the children as a whole, not just academically. Our child will be entering 3rd grade and is doing great because of the wonderful, experienced teachers and staff there. MCE also allows every parent to be involved whether in the classroom or with the PTA. We are very confident that we made the right choice for the growth of our child.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

156 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

156 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

169 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

169 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

166 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

156 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3750 International Golf Parkway