Liberty Pines Academy

Public | PK-8 | 1317 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 3, 2013

Please be good to Woofie! Honor the L.P.A. staff & other professionals by not bullying them on this blog!They have feelings too.Do not use this blog to hurt their feelings! I worked several years with these fantastic people.However,I was not a staff member.Now,I'm retired.Your child's needs are very important.Please address your concerns to the proper officials at L.P.A..

Posted August 20, 2013

A+ Teachers and staff are top notch. Children are all happy to be there and come home happy every day.

Posted July 20, 2013

If you can make it past the cold and condescending administration the school is a great place to educate your child. I have had several negative experiences with the principal and the office. I often wonder if they treat me this way, how are the treating the children. I won't be surprised if the principal runs off the good teachers with the hostile environment she is creating. Education is the focus here, do not expect your child to get an opportunity for any extra curricular activities. I'd like to say there is a lack of support for sports, and the arts but in actually it is discouraged by school administration. I believe my children are getting a great education however.

Posted June 30, 2013

I cannot express my disappointment in this school without using profane words so I will just say that we are very unhappy!! My husband and I moved from Duval County to St Johns County due to school ratings. We did not want to have to deal with the magnet lottery for our son. LPA was highly rated at the time and after a lot of research, we built our home off of 210. My son entered LPA in second grade. He started the year with a substitute teacher because his teacher was on maternity leave. She never came back. In the middle of the second quarter, LPA hired a new teacher to replace the sub. The new teacher was TERRIBLE. She bullied my child for the entire length of her stay. She was unprepared, unwilling to talk to parents, unprofessional, and cruel. Luckily, she became pregnant and left at the beginning of the fourth quarter. My son was tortured by this woman and we were livid. The principal was NO HELP. We are considering private school and have written complaints to the school board. The teacher that we had was AWFUL. It was the worst experience of our child's school career. I cannot in any way recommend this school. BEWARE!!!!

Posted May 19, 2013

2012-2013 has brought very unpleasant changes to this once great school, all in the form of the "Principal". I am not sure if she understands that she is essentially employed by us, as parents and taxpayers and am concerned that if she is this rude, condescending, confrontational and completely unresponsive to us as adults and parents, I really worry how she is with our children, especially when we are not there to witness. I know several families who have lost all respect for this school because of this principal, in addition to a few of the teachers and substitutes that have worked with her this school year. I hope the school board is aware and if not, they will be soon as I am going to be one of the many writing letters and calling with my concerns.

Posted May 6, 2013

I have to agree with the past posts. I am extremely upset with the way this administartion handles ESE children and the parents. My son has excellent teachers but they have no authority when it comes to the admin and pulling in the resources needed for these special needs kids. The response of admin is.... move them to a different school. The admin only cares about FCAT's. I love the teachers here at LPA, great nurse as well. The admin and psychologist here needs to refresh themselves on why they came into the education career again. There is a need to start to back the teachers by giving them more support and resources and giving the students the positive supports and much needed stimulation of the outside sources and help they deserve. I hope the Board brings in an admin staff that can get this school where it needs to be, stop farming the kids out to become some other schools problem. My family comes from special needs teachers and they have never seen such disregard for children from the "leaders" of the school and lack of knowledge of the resources that may prove beneficial to a children. I hope for a new admin by next year.

Posted March 15, 2013

We bought a home in the 210 area because we heard its the best school district in north Florida. My daughter enrolled in kindergarten in the 2011-2012 school year. My daughter struggle all year but the principal at the time was very accommodating. When the new year start, we immediately had issues with the new principal. She would not work with us at all to meet the needs of our daughter. I agree with other parents that this principal is ruining the school and possible the high rating this school deserves. The school board really needs to replace the leadership and direction this school is going. After our troubles with her, we pulled our daughter out of the school and enrolled her in a private school. I'm not even going to deal with this school again until they remove the principal.

Posted December 18, 2012

This is our 5th year at LPA. The school continues to do very well, great principal and teachers. My oldest child has moved on to high school and is doing great and my next child is ready to do the same next year. LPA is a wonderful school.

Posted December 17, 2012

We moved to Saint Augustine this summer and I had very high expectations for my children's education based on the reputation of the SJC school district. The teachers have exceeded my expectations and the parent involvement at LPA is phenomenal as well. Unfortunately, the administration at LPA is ruining the reputation of this school and district as well for me. Other parents have told me how different this year is at LPA due to the new principal, that she is the reason things are changing for the worse. My experience with her has given me a lack of confidence in her ability to handle her responsibility to the teachers, parents, and students at LPA because of how defensive she is. The office staff are just as defensive as she is and I feel very unwelcome when I walk in the office door. I agree with others who say she is on a power trip, which I feel is a sign of one's own insecurities, and i don't like leaving my children under the responsibility of someone like that. I am taking my issues to the school board hoping that they will improve LPA, and I hope other parents will do the same. In the principal's own words, I have high expectations and I'm not apologizing for that.

Posted August 22, 2012

Last year, I would have given LPA 5 stars, hands down. However, with the new principal, it is barely getting 4. She is rude, demeaning, cold, and completely on a power trip. I hope that LPA can sustain its excellence despite her. Parents and teachers alike are watching closely. She has already cancelled the Wolf Buck program which the students loved and taught them long term goals, positive behavior, and savings lessons. Also, PE is now cut to every other week, and my child reported they they have to learn vocab words instead of being active per her request to the PE teacher. I am all for strong vocabulary skills, but not in PE. There are appropriate times and places for everything. It has not gone unnoticed that upon the announcement of her new position as principal, we lost some VERY valuable teachers and staff. We LOVED our former principal, who started LPA from inception. He is the reason for its excellence. May it not be decimated. Teachers are TREMENDOUS! Education is 5 stars. Everything is 5 stars aside from the new principal. There are no negative stars available here for that rating.

Posted March 1, 2012

Excellence in action! This school is run very well. It has caring, loving teachers, and wonderful, supportive families. The caliber to which the teachers and students are held makes for a professional, educational atmosphere. The greetings of teachers and the principal inside the halls is warm and inviting. My daughter adores her Kindergarten teacher, and I am confident that she will be happy through 8th grade here. :)

Posted January 23, 2012

Liberty Pines Academy is wonderful!! The vision the administration has for the school is truely inspirational. The only problem that I have encountered at LPA is the parents! What a bunch of spoiled people. Everyone thinks their child is "gifted" and belongs in a gifted class and if their child does not perform well then who's fault is it?????.....well the teachers of course. I have never lived in a community with so many people who feel so entitled!! I rather have my kids play with kids from the city. I need more down to earth people that don't try to pass of responsibility for their children's actions on to thoes poor teachers that just want to teach children!!! Anyway, I feel sorry for the teachers constantly getting abused by thoes parents. I have seen it happen too much! Leave them alone so they can teach our kids instead of kissing your butts.

Posted July 30, 2011

Beautiful new facility. Principal is friendly, big on social aspects, interacts nicely with the children, runs a smooth though highly regimented facility, that produces good FCAT scores. Overall the principal is nice, and school is good except for all ESE segments. Some teachers are wonderful, some are not at all. Nurse's office is excellent. Front desk is awful--run like a prison camp and very unfriendly and not completely competent. The one AP is nasty to children and parents alike, like a truancy officer, undermines parental authority with children and disregards their insights. Needs for gifted students are not understood or addressed, and grading practices are discriminatory against them, in the interest of equality(??). No exceptionalities are handled well. Many parents of ESE students from the area have pulled their children from this school, and go to private options, which is just sad. Parents have expressed unusual levels of resentment toward this school, which leaves one wondering. It sounds like ESE students are grouped in separate classes like outcasts, while gifted students are treated like average students. One size fits all.

Posted June 6, 2011

LPA is what you would expect from a larger public school. There are some wonderful teachers who communicate well with the parents and monitor their students progress. Then there are some very questionable teachers who I honestly think are just there to collect a paycheck .I truly have nothing positive to say about the VP. She is harsh and unfriendly both to parents and students alike. The P is very well liked by the students and is responsive to parent concerns. The regular receptionist is awful. I dread going into the school because she will give you a problem about everything! The school nurse is increadble!

Posted April 14, 2011

This is the best school my child has been to. The teacher has been extremely easy to communicate with. The front office has always been professional and held to the standards. The curriculum in on par or ahead of national standards, cant help that fcat is holding everyone back, and the behavior of the children seems good. I havent heard of extreme or problematic children in the classrooms. The facilities are brand new. The only knock is the school lunches. Do not buy school lunches. They are horrible and wretched.The school lunches should be boycotted. I cannot believe we would ask children to eat that junk and request their parents to pay for it. Shame on the Supervisor. The school is great though, I highly recomend it.

Posted January 12, 2011

I was extremely unhappy with the leadership at this school. The principal is a wimp who does not "lead the school" but is lead by a select few on the PTO and a VP that makes Cruella Deville look like Shirley Temple! The school is so big that if you need an answer to a question you need to "e-mail this person, or go on the school website." Parents are not made to feel welcome at all, at least if you have any input or understanding of what your child needs... or questions etc. Heaven forbid you have a complaint, they have no need for any improvement at LPA, Just ask them lol. I got my child out quickly.

Posted November 15, 2010

Many of the reviews here seem to have been written by teachers/staff of Liberty Pines. Not a single parent I know there has such positive things to say. The teachers are very difficult to communicate with, the assistant principal is very unfriendly, and the principal himself is a marshmallow--and not in a good way. The school is far too large to function well, many of the teachers are very weak, and children who do not fit the mold are made to feel unwelcome. Liberty Pines is everything a school should avoid becoming.

Posted January 22, 2010

We moved here from NY and heard great things about this school, however it was anything but! My daughter is in 2nd grade and was in the gifted program at her school in NY, but here they wouldn't put her in anything. She became so bored in her class! Another thing that annoyed me and I felt was just unfair...because it is a K-8 school, the younger children do not get to use the gym during PE class! They only have Gym every 2 weeks, which is just crazy I think, but they had to either go outside or they ended up in some room playing board games! how ridiculous is that! Ok and last but not least, the vice principal is seriously not a nice woman! She might be fine for older kids, but does not know how to talk to elementary aged children at all, she terrified my daughter!

Posted December 10, 2009

The staff is hit or miss available. Some of the teachers are very available. But several times last year I had to make phone calls to the front office to get a few teachers to respond to an email or phone call. I would best describe this school as, a middle school with too many elementary school teachers. 6th and 7th student expectations are not elevated to match other middle schools. My son will not be returning after Christmas break. Because I don't feel they are preparing him for high school educationally or socially.

Posted November 4, 2009

My daughter teaches there and they have great programs, teachers who care about the students & a wonderful relationship with parents. Their principal Mr. Kelly wants the best teaching experience for each child.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

155 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

109 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Asian 5% 3%

Other degree 2%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10901 Russell Sampson Rd