Bay Point Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 661 students

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

There have been some very, very good times and some horrible times. My kids are in 3rd and 1st this year. When my oldest was in KG he had an awful teacher. He needed help in reading/writing but I was a newbie parent and didn't know that. She held one conference and told me he was fine. Since then he's almost failed 1st and 2nd grade. It was only with the help of a tutor and an AWESOME 1st grade teacher (who my 2nd son has this year!) that we were able to pull him from the brink of failure. I think like with any school it's the luck of the draw when it comes to teachers. Parents have to be involved. We had a steep learning curve! Communication is excellent though. Emails are answered promptly and most teachers are only to happy to help. Over all I'm very happy with the school.

Posted August 22, 2013

My son is doing great at this school.thanks a bunch.although he stayed back a year. He is on poibt now.

Posted August 5, 2013

I have two children who attend this school and they love it. They are excited to go to school every morning. In my experience the teachers are always open and willing to communicate with parents. So many involved parents make this school feel like a family.

Posted January 31, 2013

I am a proud parent of a 1st grader by the name os Sariah and I would like to say that I am very impressed with Bay Point. My daughter seems to be progressing on a daily basis. I can tell just by speaking with her about her day. She seems to be excited about her day and loves to share. She comes home sometimes and speaks Spanish to her mom and I which is a wonderful thing, although I cannot speak it myself. Her teacher seems to care about each student and no child is left behind. The class sizes are small enough where the students can get individualized attention. I would like to thank Ms. Negretti and all of her hard work. I really appreciate her and my daughter does as well!!

Posted September 13, 2012

This is a fantastic elementary school. There is a new principal this year so I can't really rate her at this time, I gave her a 3 star. Our experience has been out of this world. I have a 2nd grader and a KGer this year. We adore all of the teachers we have had so far. They have Spanish & PE everyday, art, music and science lab once a week. My 2nd grader loves math, it is her favorite. They get a good amount of homework each week. This year the media center specialists bought Kindles, and my 2nd grader is using one this month. They have wonderful after school programs: Club Ole (Spanish club), Young Astronauts, Guitar Club & Chorus for 4/5th graders. Our family made great friends in just 3 short years. I also volunteer for my children's teachers.

Posted May 29, 2012

As a parent of a child leaving Bay Point this year I can say they were as a whole excellent. There are wonderful caring teachers here. The last two years have been trying at best with the change in administration. Their agenda is not what you would want in any school. The school principal is leaving which is a blessing. I hope the county replaces her with a fair progressive person that understand that all children are important. I hope for all the children and teachers the new admin allows you to teach the way you have and wish you all the success in the future.

Posted February 16, 2012

I have a daughter in second grade and a son in kindergarten and I absolutely love the school. To be honest the school was not my first choice, but now I realize it was meant to be. I love the teachers, many of them have been there for several years and you can see their pride in the school. My daughter's teacher has a masters degree and is so creative and motivated that she almost makes me wanna go back to school. My son's kindergarten teacher is not the warm type, but she has the kids best interest in mind and she gets them acclimated to school. She also teaches them responsibility and cause and consequences. I think My son has the same teacher mentioned in a review below, and by the way- she referred both my kids for gifted testing. I love the on-site gifted program, the Spanish program, the media center, the science lab, the music teachers, and the PTA. The parents at Bay Point are involved and the PTA sponsors awesome programs such as Fall Festival, BPE campfire, skate parties, gymnastics night, bully musical and more. Pick Bay Point and you will love it.

Posted February 13, 2012

My son is in First Grade at Bay Point Elementary. We have had a wonderful experience at Bay Point, and love being a part of the family there. My son is very bright, and I have been extremely impressed with the teachers he has had and all that they have done to challenge him. He was tested for gifted in Kindergarten and began at the start of First grade. Due to the high number of gifted referrals, most children do not get processed before that. If you want your child tested early then you may have to do it on your own. My childs first grade teacher has gone above and beyond to challenge him. She has him in an accelerated math group, and even has him working with a second grade class once a week. I love the Spanish program. It is total immersion every day. The Science lab is awesome, and I love hearing about the fun lessons they do there. My only complaint would be in the schools leadership. They do not seem concerned with what parents or teachers think. Fortunately, the school, like any family, is made up of many parts. The wonderful staff, extremely active PTA, and overall community feeling make BayPoint a great school!

Posted January 23, 2012

I would give this school zero stars if possible. My son's kindergarten teacher is awful. My child is extremely bright and has tested as very gifted. His teacher stated, She did not see anything gifted about him, but then admitted she had never taken the time to find out what his vocabulary is after 6 months of having him in her class. We had to pay 200.00 to a private co. for gifted testing as the school is so useless. Went to the principal to complain but fell on deaf ears. What an extreme disappointment. The current principal is from a D rated school. What were they thinking? We have spoken with other parents and they are having the same issues. My child was tested the first month of class and already knew enough to be in first grade yet they will not transfer him because "they just don't do that". Really? How sad. We may file a formal complaint w/the superintendent or school board but don't waste your time this school is terrible. So disappointed, especially after we went to almost every open night before we picked this loser school. They teach to the dumbest kids and let the smart kids regress. My son is so bored , we had a great preK. Very sad. stay away!!

Posted December 18, 2011

Our son has just started Kindergarten at Bay Point this past fall and we are so happy with our choice. His Kindergarten teacher is exceptional! Spanish daily is a great bonus and we catch him singing in Spanish on a daily basis and trying to test his spanish whenever he gets the chance. All staff we have encountered at Bay Point are super including the ever patient cafeteria crew. Even though this school is not in the greatest neighborhood we feel our child is 100% safe at Bay Point.

Posted June 19, 2010

While I can't criticize the teachers at Bay Point, my experience there has been average, at best. I have yet to really see how this school is a math and science magnet, for my kids are not getting any enrichment in the sciences and math. I feel that the teachers are very bogged down with discipline issues, and, unfortunately, many of these disruptive children were accepted before the 100% magnet status, so there is nothing that the school can do. I find that many of the active parents are the same small group of parents, year after year. The gifted program is excellent, and that is the sold reason we have kept our children at Bay Point.

Posted September 18, 2009

it shows a get pride in helping children succeed, expecting each child to do their best at providing fun learning experiences. Bay point really gets into a child's brain to fill it with valuable knowledge they need.

Posted August 7, 2008

Excellent School! I have had three children attend this school. At first we were concerned because math was not our (mom & dad's) favorite subject and a school for the arts would have been our 1st choice. Magnet luck put us here and now my children are so fantastic in math, we couldn't be happier. My daughter in now entering H.S. in the IB program. All 3 children have scored very high on tests and do very well in school. Now we have one son remaining at B.P.E. and we are not thrilled with the change to uniforms. We are free spirits but are willing to put up with uniforms, for the wonderful education this school offers.

Posted March 26, 2008

I'm disappointed in the choice to become a 100% magnet elementary school. Bay Point is a part of the Pinellas Point community and I'm afraid that this decision will neglect Pinellas Point area children. I also really HATE that the SAC committee had the only vote on mandatory uniforms for the upcoming school year - this is something that impacts the entire Bay Point family! As a parent I'm starting to feel disconnected from Bay Point Elementary.

Posted March 18, 2008

My daughter is going to the 5th Grade and has had an amazing experience at this school. Two very special teachers are Mr. Levesque (3rd) and Ms. Kincaid (4th). They both were so committed and were really interested in my daughter's skills and interests and fears on an indvidiual level. They both have unique teaching approaches and go above and beyond. My only comment is that I am surprised that there does not seem to be a lot of emphasis on math and science for this to be a 'math and science' school. There were other special programs like Spanish, and special groups for Guitar, Digital Photography, Space, but my daughter didn't even have a science fair this year. A little surprising...All in all though. It has been an excellent experience.

Posted July 2, 2005

My son and I are thrilled with Baypoint! The principal, Mrs. Lively, and the teachers SHOW they love kids by setting up classrooms with plenty of books, computers, class animals(in some) and a variety of stations for the kids to work on improving skills in various areas. The rooms are also bright and stimulating to the senses. My son loves the Music, Spanish(daily), and PE programs. He likes going to school every day and the environment there is well-monitored and secure for students. Class sizes have been around 25 for my son and his grades are excellent. His Math and Reading scores are way above grade level and he has made several top-notch friends. Parental involvement is exceptional at this school.

Posted April 15, 2004

I cannot say enough about Baypoint Elm. My children (4) have all attended Baypoint & I wouldn't send them anywhere else! The teachers are great, creative, caring and well educated. They really have the childrens best interest at heart. Being a magent school there are lots of projects and homework, but its all worth it. Even the field trips are informative and fun! Many parents are also involved as well. Gold Star for Baypoint!

Posted May 21, 2003

Bay Point Elem. Magnet school is a wonderful learning facility with knowledgeable and caring teachers. The PTA is a great group of parents to work with when supporting our students and teachers. I love Bay Point!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

106 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

107 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

108 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

97 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5800 22nd Street South