PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

We had one situation (minor) in Middle School and I text the advisor, it was handled immediately and communication was effective.

Supports LD students: Agree

My daughter has some learning issues. They do try and teach to her needs. She does need to tell them when she does not understand and she does not always do this. When she does they are willing to help.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

They listen to our needs as parents.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They are focused on character and follow thru with this goal.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are exceptional, so far I have not experienced a slightly negative experience with the teachers, we have 2 kids there, Middle and High School

Amount of homework: Agree

They use haiku a great deal and the homework is on the ipad. They have plenty of time and help as needed. I don't feel they are given busy work.

Kids in 6th and 10th, I will review both. We transferred from what I had considered the best public schools in the area. Our older daughter needed smaller classes and more discussion on topics with the teachers over lecture. 6th grade is fantastic. The teachers are top notch and care a great deal. 99% of the kids are nice and caring. It was a transition as the academics are a true step up but they are helping him learn and adapt. For example an English test is essay not just multiple choice. Good grades and loving it. 10th grader is doing well. We did get a tutor (which meets at study hall). She is doing better than at the public in regard to actually learning and doing work that will take her into college. At 10th it is a bit more on her to ask for help, but they do listen. I feel they focus on academics, learning styles that suit the kids and real life learning and doing. Both my kids are in sports but that is not the focus for us or the school.

I have two children (a boy and a girl) who transferred to Shorecrest from another private school in the 9th grade. We were very happy with the high school experience there, and neither of our children had difficulty adjusting or fitting in. To the contrary, we found that, because only a few students transfer to the school at the high school level, our kids were treated like the shiney new toy and got plenty of attention. For academically gifted students, the academics are truly top-notch. Most of the teachers, with a few exceptions (as in any school), are excellent as evidenced by the extremely high passing rate on AP exams (about 85% across the board). Both my children were able to take nine AP courses, and they are in excellent colleges now and were admitted to almost all of the schools to which they applied, with the exception of a handful of true "reach" schools. They both felt completely prepared for their college courses. Although my children did not participate in it, the theater and arts program is by far the best in the area. The theatrical productions are amazing. Sports, on the other hand, are spotty, given the small size of the high school (about 350 students). But, on a positive note, students who join the sports teams will get an opportunity to play, and most students do participate in at least one sport. We think that Shorecrest is truly the best school in the area, rivaled only by Berkeley Prep on the other side of the bay. As some have mentioned, though, you will encounter students there who come from extremely privileged backgrounds--some of the wealthiest in the area. There's a real downside to that, as many students do have a sense of entitlement. The school does have a handful of scholarship students, too. And we found that most students had two working parents there, unlike the other private school that my children attended, where most of the moms stayed at home and hovered around the school a bit too much. Overall, we had a great experience at Shorecrest and regularly recommend it to parents in both Tampa and St. Petersburg.

I lived in Feather Sound and was referred to Shorecrest by the community as being the best school in town. My children began at 3 and 4 years old. They are now in 10th and 11th grade and beginning to look for colleges. I can truly say that they have prepared my children both academically and social/emotionally to meet the challenges of life and will be well prepared for their futures. The money was a great investment in my children.

Now that we are moving out of Tampa Bay and having had to find a school for the children (ages 5 and 8) in a different part of the state, we can say that Shorecrest Early Childhood and Lower Division did a terrific job preparing both kids academically and socially. Terrific leadership, challenging academic curriculum, and family atmosphere made this place a perfect environment for raising our kids, it truly became a second home to them. Thank you, Shorecrest family, for giving them wings. We are gonna miss you...

Last modified Shorecrest Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12