No rating

Admiral Farragut Academy

Private | PK-12 | 385 students

We are best known for academic excellence, leadership, and social development.

Living in St. Petersburg

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $80,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

School Official Point of View

Posted June 24, 2013

Parents and students at Admiral Farragut Academy consistently tell me that what makes us so special is our community. It is a unique feeling hard to describe until you experience it. Here, we are a part of a caring group of faculty, staff, friends and parents. As both a boarding and day school, students in both areas benefit from the cultural diversity and become extraordinarily close. They call it the Farragut Experience. Whether our day students take a boarding student home for the weekend or our boarding students invite day students to visit them in their country, it is a sense of belonging that sets us apart. Students here are not afraid to try new things and their peers encourage them to do so. If you combine this with our beautiful waterfront campus, our amazing faculty, depth of curricular offerings, and our unique opportunities like - sailing, aviation, engineering and marine science - I appeal to you to find a school that compares. Our students benefit from academic excellence, a safe and caring environment, leadership, and social development, all taught through our military model - a model that has worked successfully for hundreds of years. Here, our students are held accountable, taught integrity, honor, self-discipline, and commitment. We strive to develop emotionally mature and resilient young men and women. When I am out in the community at events with our students or when I hear feedback from college placement staff, I am so proud of our students and I enjoy watching our parents beam with pride in their child. I invite you to visit our campus and see what we're all about. We look forward to you becoming part of our family.

Posted September 11, 2014

This is a great school with caring teachers and administrative staffs. My 2 children have the opportunity to participate in many sports and after school extra-curricular activities. My kids are learning more academically than at their previous private school. They are encouraged to do their best and are motivated by their teachers daily. At the same time, the children are also learning to be independent. They had no problems making friends during their year. Just an overall great school.

Posted October 25, 2013

This is my son's first year at the school. We love it and I wish I had known about the school sooner than his 11th grade year. The teachers have been amazing. I love this school.

Posted October 21, 2013

We are new to Admiral Farragut this year and we are overwhelmed with excitement on how great this school is. It is opening up so many opportunities for our daughter that she would not receive at a Public High School. The students are respectful and have welcomed her from the very beginning. The staff is incredible. You can tell that they actually care about the school and the students. We made the perfect decision to join the Admiral Farragut family! We plan to enroll our other daughter into this school next year as no other school comes close to Admiral Farragut. I highly recommend this school to everyone as it is an experience like no other!

Posted September 10, 2013

This is our 3rd year in Farragut and we love this school. Like a parent I have close relationship with teachers and staff members are very friendly and helpful. I strongly recommend this school to everyone. The curriculum is fantastic!!

Posted July 3, 2013

I have attended this school, going into my third year this fall. I am a five day boarder, and I think it offers incredible opportunities for us students. But, the students that want to get something good out of the program and their education can, some other students just want to finish and slide through and they can. The only downside that I have found in the school is the parents. The parents tend to have part in all of the regular high school drama. No matter where you go for school. The girls will be catty, and the boys will be territorial. The parents take part in the drama to the point where it drive others away. What people say about paying money to get special treatment isn't true, because the students that get good grades and make it through without behavior marks are the students that earn it, and if their parents give money to the school, it is because the school deserves. The boarding isn't terrible but it isn't the best, the staff could most definitely be improved but they do great with what they have. Overall, I believe that the ones who want to be prepared for life after high school will be, and they will be quite successful with such a great alumni community.

Posted June 21, 2013

As a local parent and someone who drove by wondering, "what is this school all about" you have to visit to know the full story. Farragut is more than a school, it is a family and a way of life. The students who attend want to be there and in the teenage years, that is very important. Farragut has a lot to offer a variety of students. The military minded might obtain their pilots license while the scientific student might lean more towards the marine science/scuba route. Having options and opportunities is what makes Farragut a special place and having true leaders and mentors makes it even better. I would say, dont judge a book by the cover or what "everyone else" says and check it out. My family and our children owe a lot to this school. I am a current parent of two students who have been at the school for 5+ years and am very pleased and so are the children, which is even more important! If you look at the students who are at the school today, most have been there since elementary or middle school. The matriculation alone says a lot!

Posted June 20, 2013

My daughter just graduated from Farragut last month after attending since 4th grade. It was a fabulous experience for us. The teachers are amazing! They do so many hands on projects and trips but more than that, they are truly mentors. In the setting of a boarding school, even the day students get the global experience. My daughter traveled to Korea the summer of her Sophomore year with her Farragut friend. She boarded her senior year to get a step up preparing for college and I can tell you it made a difference on her college resume! She is continuing on to a top private school with a leadership scholarship and we truly have Farragut to thank for all they did to get her there!

Posted June 9, 2013

One star is too many for this school. Farragut has a great public relations department. They have to if they can sell this disgrace of a school to parents. There is no communication and no leadership at this school. Money talks for sure. You screw up? A nice donation to the school can fix that. Don't like the grade your child got in a class. Let the school know and they can sell you a grade of your choosing. I hate to be the person who says "I told you so," so please stay away of this dysfunctional mess.

Posted January 18, 2013

Love this school! My child has excelled in his class. The teachers are amazing, and very involved. Would recommend this school to everyone, it is worth every penny!

Posted July 12, 2012

This is our 2nd yr in Admiral Farragut Academy and my son love it!! great teachers, have awesome programs, and the education is fantastic!. I strongly recommend this school to everyone!

Posted May 24, 2012

It's the Best school to me ! I am from the Class of 1978 and I consider Farragut as one of the most important foundations in my life.

Posted May 23, 2012

Admiral Farragut Academy is the best high school in Florida. Awesome stuff and great education.

Posted May 22, 2012

My Son just graduated from this school and It was a great school that prepared him for college as well as the diversity of students attending the school from 27 countries it has let him accept people for who they are not where they are from... he has made many lifelong friends among the students as well as faculty.. I would recomend this school to anyone and have many times. He feels blessed that he has had this opportunity..

Posted May 21, 2012

I love working and living here. I have been at Admiral Farragut Academy for a little over two years now. It's in a GREAT location: walking distance to the beach through beautiful neighborhoods along the Gulf of Mexico and has its own waterfront where the kids sail daily or go boating. Even though we may have a military background, every one here is down to earth and students can be involved at their own desired level. The students are respectful, say "yes ma'am" or "yes sir" and most sincerely care about going above and beyond and taking up all the opportunities we offer. Another reason why I love AFA is because as a team member on the administration, I know that my coworkers care about me as a person. I know that our headmaster understands how important quality of life is. I am so blessed to be here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 21, 2012

As a 1964 graduate of AFA I can attest to the fact that when I entered college I was WAAAAAAY ahead of the other Freshmen. Not only that, but I got so much more than a simple education at Farragut. I learned most of the social skills that I enjoy today. And finally, the friends I made back then are still my closest pals. Our 50th is coming up in 2014 and I believe it will be a record turn out of alumni on campus for a Homecoming. It was worth every penny my parents scraped up to send me to Admiral Farragut Academy for five years. I owe them and AFA for shaping me into the kind of man I am today.

Posted May 21, 2012

Great Diversity! Too much advertising of the school. The teachers are all characters, they are like no other in the world! The principals are great I love Mr. Graves, Mrs. Grabowski, and Mrs. Fine, they are wonderful. THe school is what you make of it. You can go and get nothing out of it but you can go and get the best of everything! It is very worth it.

Posted March 15, 2012

this school is fake. it looks good because it's military and there a lot of opportunities but it's not. the academics are not very good. the staff is very judgmental. there have been many situation in which children should have been immediately expelled from the school and were not because parents have paid extra money. there have been others where a child was not properly disciplined and they neglect serious issue. the dorms are disgusting and the food is horrible. the location is not very safe either. the faculty and staff are very inconsistent. i would not recommend this school at all. it simply looks good on a resume because it looks military but it lost the militant ways when they brought in female cadets. it's horrible

Posted August 26, 2011

We absolutely love this school!!! I grew up in this area and had always heard how great it was and how wonderful the students were. My son started in 8th grade and is now in 10th grade, and we continue to be impressed by so many aspects of this school. My only regret is that we did not enroll him sooner. The teachers and administrators are all highly accessible to both parents and students, plus they actually care! My son was hooked when he heard about the aviation, sailing, and science programs. I was hooked by the educational opportunities; excellent courses, exceptional teachers, high student performance, high student college placement, and exceptionally high numbers of positive roll-models available to my son. Don t let any preconceived ideas of a military school stop you from really seeing what this school has to offer. There is room for improvement with parent involvement. Many parents are involved, but as is most schools not enough are.

Posted May 30, 2011

This school is highly recommended. The staff are so committed to their students. They make the kids feel good about themselves and therefore raise their self esteem. The teachers take the time to really get to know your child. They are available 24/7 not like other schools. If you email them with any concerns you hear back from them immediately. The students get opportunities at this school that they would never get at any other school. Such as sailing qualifications, scuba diving, aviation science and an excellent marine science program. The discipline teaches real life skills of self respect and self worth. You will not be disappointed to send your child here.

Posted January 8, 2011

My children have been in the elementary school for 4 years. We could not be happier. Every morning you can find the principal (always with a smile on her face) out in the car line getting the children out of their cars. She is very approachable and the students love her. The leadership and current educational trends that she brings to her school shows. My daughter is competing in Odyssey of the Minds, was in Engineering Robotics, attends the Starfish Program, is going on a 3 day/2 night field trip to St. Augustine, etc. There are not many schools that offer this plus in a small class size setting.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 97% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 0% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Florida
University of Central Florida
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Japanese
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Division 1A -All Sports Award
  • Outstanding Unit, JR. ROTC (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Foreign languages
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Robert J. Fine, Jr.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • FCIS
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (727) 347-5160

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • College prep

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
  • Science lab
  • Swimming pool
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Forensics club
  • JROTC
  • Marching band
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school