James B. Sanderlin Pk-8

Public | PK-8 | 600 students

We are an International Baccalaureate magnet program.

Posted Thursday, July 24, 2014

This school was one of Pinellas County's best kept secret until they scored an A this year. The Principle is incredible and so are the teachers. My daughter was in 6th grade and absolutely loves the school.

Posted June 20, 2014

We have had 3 of our 4 children at Sanderlin for the past 3 years. It has been a really good experience for us. The transition from an Elementary school to a Pre-K - 8th grade school has definitely had some bumps, but I have greatly appreciated the opportunity to have my voice heard as we have formed the policies and culture of this school. Our special needs son has really blossomed under the help of the teachers and staff, but be aware that the middle school is much more academic - so we are unable to continue to keep him here for middle school. My oldest child at Sanderlin has been in both the elementary and middle school and has had an overall positive experience. The teachers have really watched out for her and pushed her to reach higher. There are good and bad that come with a small school - but I LOVE that you can get to know all the teachers and work with them to help your kids and the school to excel. If you have the chance to enroll your kids here, take it. It is the best alternative to the fundamental system in this area hands down. Our gifted son really thrived there as well.

Posted May 23, 2014

This school has an amazing group of teachers and staff that show nothing but support for every student. The campus is beautiful, has high parent involvement and the IB program is a great alternative to a fundamental school.

Posted January 1, 2014

I am a student and I like this school but when your in middle school there you don't get the real feeling besides the 7 or 8 classes. You don't get lockers. You have to carry your stuff. But the kids are kool.

Posted February 28, 2013

Sanderlin IB World School is AMAZING! Under the leadership of principal Dr. Miller and assistant Ms. Cehi. there is culture of professionalism I have not experienced in any other public or private school. The recently added middle school has a great staff of teachers who really care about children and are passionate about not just their academic growth, but also their social and emotional well-being. I wish my older children could have had the opportunity to attend. This school deserves more than 5 stars!!!

Posted February 11, 2013

My daughter is in VPK at this school and she LOVES it! She has grown leaps and bounds in her ability to write letters and draw while in this program. Ms. Cari and Ms. Patty are miracle workers and their classroom is always under control and I have never heard either of them raise their voice once. The playground area is wonderful with a huge sandbox and ride on toys. They get to go to learn in the Peace Patch organic garden every week. Tons of clubs for the older grades to join and get involved. The only thing I don't like is is can be a little difficult to get involved with the PTA. I signed up and paid but never got a calender of when meetings are or emails or anything. Some of the meetings were held on Friday nights which seems like poor planning to me but the PTA does wonderful things for the school and does a nice job of fundraising.

Posted December 7, 2010

As a parent of a first grader and a Pre K student I can say that Sanderlin has been a wonderful choice for our children and family. While the IB curriculum is dynamic, connecting county standards to real world applications, I feel that more importantly, my children are learning about how to be a responsible and caring people in the world. The "taking action" component is our favorite part. My sons are learning to think about how they can make the world a better place, whether recycling, cleaning up area parks or beaches, or simply showing kindness to a friend. Extracurricular clubs are also great! Brain Food, Percussion, Spanish Club, United Nations, Save the Planet, Garden Club... All of these provide such awesome opportunities to form relationships with classmates/peers and develop many different intelligences. When K students are researching and learning how they're choices matter- I think that says a lot! Even though my first grader has surpassed grade level expectations at this time- he is still being pushed and challenged academically every day. And is excited about his accomplishments. Great families, great teachers, great kids, great school!

Posted December 1, 2010

This is our 8th year involved with Sanderlin IB and we are thrilled. Our 17 year old son started here in 4th grade when the school opened and our daughter is now in 5th and youngest son is in 3rd. We are excited at the prospect of Sanderlin becoming a Pre-K thru 8 school so we can continue here for 5 more years! Many do not realize the value of the IB curriculum; it is truly an International Programme. Don't be fooled by some inferior schools gloating about their high scores. I would much rather my children be internationally minded and ready for a global economy than to score perfect on a 3rd grade test. We love that they do not teach to the test and allow the children to explore their individual giftedness. This really is a school you must tour to truly appreciate: laptop Macs for each student, Smart boards and a state-of-the-art TV news program are just some of the technological attributes. We also love the Suzuki Violin, Orff music instruction and recorder & percussion clubs (All FREE!) Visit the website sanderlinib.com for more info. This is hands down the most dedicated staff as well. If you can't tell already, WE LOVE SANDERLIN IB WORLD SCHOOL!

Posted June 15, 2010

My daughter went here for kindergarten and we pulled her. They didn't do enough for gifted students and they seemed to spend a lot of time trying to handle the behaviors of students. I didn't like what I saw and heard. Children were using vulgar language and in some of the classes it seemed like teachers didn't have a handle on their classes. They also seemed to reward for everything to try and curve these behaviors. I didn't like my child in this environment.

Posted February 21, 2010

This is my daughter's 4th year at Sanderlin and we're both sad that she won't be here next year (she'll be in middle school). Previously she was at a private school and neither my husband nor I have once regretted the decision to enroll her here! This school does exactly what they claim to---to teach children the basics while also teaching them to be respectful to all, to be critical thinkers, to ask questions, to be a participant in today's world instead of a bystander, etc. The teachers are THE BEST b/c they truly care about each and every child in the class and strive to help each student 'grow more brain!' The entire staff, including the wonderful principal Dr. Miller, is awesome! If you want the best education for your child, then take a tour of Sanderlin and see what being an International Baccalaureate school is about!

Posted January 19, 2010

My child is in Kindergarten and we have been so impressed by the teacher involvement and investment. We chose Sanderlin for the IB philosophy and value in problem solving and actual learning rather than simply testing...and we are loving the diversity, creativity and passion.

Posted January 17, 2010

I am the mother of a graduate, now 7th grade. My other son has been at Sanderlin for K and 1st and is now in 2nd. We have found a true home here at Sanderlin. I do not know what I will do when my youngest son leaves this school. Dr. Miller is the most caring and involved Principle I have seen. She really cares about the children and that reflects in every Teacher in our school.

Posted January 17, 2010

My son is in grade two and has been at Sanderlin since Kindergarden. We are very happy with the school. When I first visited Sanderlin before my son attended, I noticed that Dr. Miller (principal) knew all the kids by first name. Several of them came up and gave her a big hug. That shows how much the teachers and leaders care about the kids. As an mom that has adopted internationally, it's important for us to expose our children to an international education. I highly recommend Sanderlin. My other two boys will be attending in the future.

Posted January 16, 2010

Sanderlin is a fabulous school. I love the fact that it the curriculum is internationally minded. It is so important for our children to understand they are part of a global environment. In addition to the curriculum Sanderlin has a wonderful administrative team. Dr Miller the principal and Mrs. Burns the vice principal are amazing. They know their students. They care about their school and they do everything they can to make sure your child's experience is a good one both academically and emotionally. They are always available to parents. Sanderlin IB may not have the highest scores YET but we are on our way. Last year we became a county wide magnet and that is helping the school tremendously. We continue to see more parent involvement and improved student experience. I am a high maintenance parent in some ways and I cannot say enough good about our school.

Posted December 18, 2009

Sanderlin IB World School offers the best educational environment in Pinellas County. The teachers and staff are wonderful! As you walk down the halls, you will see students that truly display the PYP attitudes (respect, curiosity, empathy, cooperation, creativity, confidence . . .) This is an amazing school and I would not send my children anywhere else.

Posted December 13, 2009

Sanderlin is a GREAT school! I am the father of a first grader at the school, she has been there since kindergarten. The teachers are top notch and the principal is incredible. My daughter feels like she is cared about and loved at the school. There is lots of individual attention for the needs of all kind of kids at all different levels. I am happy I choose Sanderlin for my child. It's like sending her to a second home for the day. And I've noticed that many members of the school's staff send their own children to the school, that speaks volumes to me! I am European, so finding a school that teaches the students about the world was very important to me. Sanderlin is an IB World School, international studies is a huge part of it. The kids learn all about the whole world, without limits.

Posted December 7, 2009

Sanderlin is the only international baccalaureate elementary school in the county. The principal is excellent and the teachers very caring. Our son loves it!

Posted July 21, 2009

I love Sanderlin Elementary School! The principal and teachers are fabulous. I am a very protective parent, and I feel 100% confident in the safety, security and high quality education that Sanderlin offers. I would not send my children anywhere else.

Posted April 18, 2009

Sanderlin is a wonderful school. We feel our needs and issues are always addressed with concern, compassion, and respect. This is Sanderlin s first year as a full county wide magnet, and yes, there has been some challenges and discipline problems but I feel when they are brought to the administration s attention they are handle very well. The IB program is fantastic; my daughter knows so much about other countries already! The really push caring for the environment also which is great. You won t find a better principal anywhere and the teachers fabulous! The school itself is beautiful and new, there are international gardens throughout the campus that are very well maintained. Classical music plays in the walkways for the children to enjoy as they walk from class to class. It s beautiful. Sanderlin will be THE school once people truly discover it and learn about

Posted May 14, 2007

When my son was first diagnosed w/ADHD @the start of the year it seemed the staff didn't know how to approach his needs. I have to say many thanks 2his 1st grade teacher & the behavioral specialist. Through constant contact and updates I've found meds that work without changing his personality. His teacher has implemented rewards that work 2keep him on track through the day. The BS and the teacher also learned along with me the triggers for his meltdowns and redirect him. It has been a trying year but with their help he's learned to focus more and feel successful. I was ready to pull up anchors and remove both my children but I'm willing to hang in there thanks to their attention and dedication to helping him reach his full potential. Many thanks Ms. D and Ms. H.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

75 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • National Honor Society

School start time
  • 8:35 am
School end time
  • 2:35 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MS. DENISE MILLER
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (727) 522-1701

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Eckerd College

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Game club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. Petersburg High IB Program