Southside Elementary School 1

Posted January 26, 2014
I've been dealing with several issues with this school fRom the start of the year. My son a kindergardner, has been targeted and discriminated against for having a disability. While his grades are above average his disability had caused a huge problem. While meeting with the school guidance counselor apon request of my sons doctor to implement an IEP plan the guidance counselor in his exact words said " an IEP will do your son no good at all your doctor is simply wrong. Him giving you advice about education is like me giving medical advice. Your son is to smart to need an IEP. " this guidance counselor not knowing that as my profession I work directly with behavior specialist . intelligence has no bearing on disability or need. even individuals with genius level IQ's can have a disability that in time will affect their ability to access to curriculum properly.

Southside Elementary School 2

Posted October 11, 2013
Here are some facts for you to consider: 1. The school population is a around 600 but the cafeteria seats 400 squeezed so the younger grades end up eating lunch at 10 am while the older kids eat lunch almost until school is out (3pm). So your child is hungry having eaten lunch so early or waiting so late 2. The kids that attend the dances held for various PTA fundraisers do not offer a single refreshment to the kids attending and lack complete organization that would make this memorable, While digging in the parents pocket for $$ for the dance. Where is the money going that you cant afford to offer at least refreshment. 3.Physical Education at 2nd grade consists of 20 min roll taking and playing WII tennis. I mean really were trying to get them away from video games don't hand them a controller and say here this is PE. The staff while kind is outmanned and outgunned. All good intentions go out the window if your class is overloaded and you have difficulty meeting curriculum due to time restraints. This is just a few examples so yes I have done my research and these are the undeniable facts. Southside Parent..

Southside Elementary School 2

Posted October 10, 2012
As a parent, I am VERY unhappy with Southside! My daughter has been bullied, and has been neglected a bit. She loves her teacher, but either the classes are too full or the teacher isn't paying attention... I don't know which but I have seen the Asst. Principal thought things would be taken care of, nope, have a call in to the Principal, we'll see what happens. I can say this, I want my daughter out of there if this is how her years there will be, she is only in K! UGH!!!

Posted October 05, 2012
As a parent of two children that have attended Southside Elementary School in Starke. I am very proud to be a Shark! The previous review evidently does not know the facts! Our population is around 600 it has never been 1000! Our school is over 50 years old but has the kindest and most compassionate staff around. We rarely turn children away. We have a wonderful supportive PTO that I have proudly have been the President of for the last 7 years. Do your research before you listen to disgruntled people. Sometimes personal problems are easier to blame on others than to take responsibility for.

Southside Elementary School 1

Posted March 02, 2012
Terrible School! The Principal does not lead by example. The rules are implemented but the lack of leadership shows when there is no one making sure procedures are being followed. All school staff is rude and disrespectful to parents. The assistant principal is rude, unprofessional and careless. The office staff is rude and incompetent. The cafeteria staff and environment in general is awful. The worse I've ever seen. The cafeteria has a capacity for 400 students yet there are 1000 students in the school. The classrooms are overcrowded too. The bathrooms, classrooms and cafeteria are filthy always. Maintenance, cleaning and sanitizing are a main issue. There's no parent involvement because once you volunteer and find out what really goes on, the only choice is to run away! Just because the school gets rated due to a standardized test doesn't mean it's an "A" school.

Posted April 14, 2010

Southside Elementary School 3

Posted March 13, 2009

Southside Elementary School 0

Posted July 21, 2008
Southside is wonderful! The principal, teachers, and staff are friendly and warm. They make kids feel welcome and are easily available to parents. My kids love to learn since they started at Southside. Best school in the area. Other schools could learn from Southside.

Posted January 18, 2008
I go there and its awsome I think it should get a 9-10! because it has great kids and teachers there!

Posted July 28, 2006
A great school full of wonderful and caring teachers that my daughter loves as much as her own family.

Southside Elementary School
823 Stansbury Street, Starke, FL  32091
Last modified Southside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southside Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top