131 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have only been exposed to my son's teacher and she's excellent. Over communicates via email and makes her phone number readily available.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They do not assign blanket homework assignments. If the student proves they understand the concept in class, they do not need to prove it again with 2+ hours of homework. Now, if they need more assistance in a certain area, the teacher will provide additional practice worksheets to do at home.

This is our first year at Franklin Academy in Sunrise. My son is a kindergartner and absolutely loves it! I've spent the last few years researching schools and this one was always at the top of our list. Their chess program, advanced technology offering and state-of-the-art institution is hard to beat. They have common-sense approach to education which is refreshing- and with that comes very specific expectations for the children who attend. They make it very clear before you sign on the dotted line. Its not for every family or child, but it definitely works for ours. Looking forward to many more years ahead!

Franklin Academy Sunrise has been the worst experience with a school I've ever encounter. The parent who posted their experience on August 9 was the same experience I had. It's good to know that I wasn't the only one. I now have my son in the public schools because Franklin told us a the end of the school year they weren't funded or have enough staff to accommodate any children with IEPs. It was very unprofessional on the school behalf. They wanted the enrollment numbers but we had to suffer the consequences at the end because they setup our children up for failure.

This was the worst experience I have had at a school. If you're the parent of a special needs child do not send them here. They will tell you that they offer IEP services when you first apply but in they end I was told they don't have the "funds" as a regular public school to provide services for kids. One of my boys was kicked out in mid year, not even suspended, kicked out simply because they just didn't want to deal with his defiant disorder. My other son I had to pulled out as well because the school didn't want to deal either with his sensory issues. I'm a very involved mom, but I have never felt more unwelcomed and disrespected than at this school. They have police officers and personnel gossiping about your kids right in front of you. Imagine that! Don't be fooled by all the extra curriculum activities and subjects they offer. If you're child needs special services, DO NOT SENT THEM HERE! Again, you will be better off at a regular public school. Save your time, money, and most importantly don't aloud other people make your kids feel unwanted. There are other schools way better that will attend to your kids' needs and will truly care for their progress and well being.

I love the school! I was a little nervous at first because I pulled my son out of a great school, Central Park Elementary in Plantation, to switch him to Franklin, which is a new school. The reason why I did it is because Franklin Academy is K-8 and I am zoned for a terrible middle school, Plantation Middle. There is no way in.... That I would send my child to that middle school. My son is only in second grade but I didn't want to risk staying at Central Park and then have nowhere to go for middle school. I figured that if Franklin was bad, he could always go back to Central Park. I am so glad I changed. I LOVE the school and so does my son! I feel like the school is academically better and they are also very hands on. The kids had a big STEM project for a science fair and they did it all by themselves in class. They did it this way to make sure the parents wouldn't do the projects for the kids. The only thing they could do at home was research. This school also feels like a private school and I love the fact they have uniforms! I definitely recommend it!

Last modified Franklin Academy B is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.